• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone taken VSL3 and got acid reflux?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Trying to get to the bottom of what for me is a new symptom - started a few days ago with oesophageal spasm and I've had heartburn pretty constantly ever since.

I started VSL3 about three months ago, and take 1/4 packet a day.

According to the net, some people actually take it to help with acid reflux but on the 'resistant starch' thread here on PR, apparently some people don't do well with lactobacilli.

It's been suggested that I stop the VSL3, since this is the latest change I've made to my diet.

Wondering what to do, and what other people's experiences with VSL3 have been.

Daffodil

hi sasha. all very powerful probiotics give me diarrhea and that is what happened on VSL3. I had to stop it.

Daffodil

its too bad they don't know too much about this yet. I have heard of a few others on various message boards who had side effects from VSL3. last i spoke to my old doctor , who specialized in leaky gut-related issues, he said he stopped prescribing probiotics because he had several patients who had side effects....they just don't know exactly why, I think.

RML

I had acid reflux since the beginning of getting sick, but taking VSL didn't make it any worse for me. I still get the reflux etc but not after taking VSL so I don't think it is adding to it. It did take a few weeks to get used to it though, I got my bad bloating again when I started it, but settled down and went away in a few weeks.

I was taking 2 sachets a day. I found it a god send for getting my stomach issues back on track. Not been on VSL since mid December cos of availability issues and my stomach issues are coming back.

Everyone reacts differently of course, so if your new symptoms link in with VSL, it might be the cause alright. I think in the first few weeks I cut back a bit, one sachet a day or every second day, until I got more used to it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hard to know if the two things are linked. I started VSL3 three months ago and am only just having this problem, so who knows?

Misfit Toy

I had horrible diarrhea on it and my intestine felt like it was on fire. I can take any other probiotic except for this one. I don't know what it was about this probiotic but I would have to soothe down my intestine afterwards by getting in the tub, or eating yogurt. The yogurt, or the coldness from the yogurt would calm down the fiery intestine I had.