• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone taken MCT oil?

halcyon

I would mix it with fat soluble nootropics such as aniracetam to improve absorption or sometimes just mix it in with a protein shake. I don't recall anything really noticeable from taking it. I'm not currently using it.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Gingergrrl43. Someone I know who said they cured themselves of Lyme cited MCT oil as one of the helpful factors in their recovery. Supposedly, the optimum mixture is 16oz MCT oil to 12oz coconut oil, though that is just what my ex-lyme acquaintance said her doctor told her. It is supposed to burn fat and use this to create brain energy. When I first tried it, I seemed to notice some extra energy very soon after taking it. I would take 1-2 tbsp. 3x/day with meals. At first, it really sped up my metabolism - I could hardly keep weight on no matter what I ate. After a couple of months on it, however, my metabolism slowed down to approximately what it was before, and I was no longer convinced it was giving me a brain boost. I decided to test it by going off the MCT oil for a week - no positive or negative effect. Now I'm back on it for a week, with no positive or negative effect. I'm going to do some more experimenting with it. I may take a long period of time off it, then go back on, or just go off for good. I have kind of gotten used to the savory taste of coconut oil in everything I eat, though.

It may be like dozens of other things I've tried for ME/CFS that work well for a week or two, then mysteriously stop working, as if the CFS has found a way to work around it.

Interesting. I have read that Lauricidin (which is lauric acid derived from coconut) can destroy certain pathogens... something about the destructive effect the lauric acid has on the sheath around the virus. (too tired to look up the scientific explanation)

When you say it sped up your metabolism, did that effect your sleep... did it make you wired? This is always a big concern for me.

Thanks in advance for your response.

PennyIA

FWIW, I have a bottle of the MCT oil capsules in my fridge. Haven't tried them yet, I've just started trying transdermal B12 oils and want to give them a solid week before adding anything else. But they are second on my list of things to add in to see...

I was recommended to start them due to PEM and discussions around some of my issues with protein deficiency and gout and lack of energy. No idea how it'll go - but I'll try to report back after I've given it a go.

Gingergrrl

Interesting. I have read that Lauricidin (which is lauric acid derived from coconut) can destroy certain pathogens... something about the destructive effect the lauric acid has on the sheath around the virus. (too tired to look up the scientific explanation)

@Dreambirdie I have been taking Monolaurin (basically the same thing as Lauricidin which is a specific brand) for about 9-10 months. It was originally recommended for me by my former naturopath when we realized that I had re-activation of EBV. It is supposed to be very potent against viruses, bacteria, fungi, etc. My stomach cannot tolerate the full dose of 2400 mg per day so I take 1800 mg per day which has been fine for me.

FWIW, I have a bottle of the MCT oil capsules in my fridge.

I was recommended to start them due to PEM and discussions around some of my issues with protein deficiency and gout and lack of energy. No idea how it'll go - but I'll try to report back after I've given it a go.

@PennyIA Yes, please report back if you try the MCT oil and what dose you are able to tolerate as far as GI issues. I would love to hear if it helps you with PEM or energy (or any other benefits!) If I end up trying it again, I will post about it here too.

Mr. Cat

When you say it sped up your metabolism, did that effect your sleep... did it make you wired? This is always a big concern for me.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi Dreambirdie,

An update: Since my last post, I went off MCT oil for over a month, then came back, and had some more energetic results, though not as strong as in the beginning. I have since tried going on a week/off a week, though I don't notice that much from this alternation. I have discovered another use for MCT oil, though: it seems to clear up the gut pathogens pretty fast, as whenever I have a Candida flare due to unwise eating, the MCT oil usually clears it out within a couple of days. I think this is due more to the coconut oil part of the concoction, which is said to be antibacterial.

It's been a while since I felt a strong effect, but I don't remember it affecting my sleep or making me feel wired. Just more energetic during the day.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Dreambirdie,

An update: Since my last post, I went off MCT oil for over a month, then came back, and had some more energetic results, though not as strong as in the beginning. I have since tried going on a week/off a week, though I don't notice that much from this alternation. I have discovered another use for MCT oil, though: it seems to clear up the gut pathogens pretty fast, as whenever I have a Candida flare due to unwise eating, the MCT oil usually clears it out within a couple of days. I think this is due more to the coconut oil part of the concoction, which is said to be antibacterial.

It's been a while since I felt a strong effect, but I don't remember it affecting my sleep or making me feel wired. Just more energetic during the day.

Thanks for your update, Mr. Cat. What brand do you take?... and how much this time around?... The same as before, with the same ratio of MCT to coconut oil?

Mr. Cat

I started with the NOW brand, with which I had the positive experiences at first. I bought two other brands online from AllStarHealth, which is the cheapest place online for MCT oil if you buy in bulk. I just tried Body First MCT oil for a couple of months, and haven't noticed anything special with it, other than what I believe to be continued anti-gut microbial properties. Same ratio as before, and same serving of 1-2 Tbsp/meal. Next up is the Buried Treasure brand. It's hard to be scientific about this, as there are at least two factors at work here: the brand, which may or may not be significant, and my body's tolerance for MCT oil. Will let you know if I experience anything noteworthy.

Gingergrrl

@Mr. Cat If possible, can you tag me too?! The brand my husband orders is NOW brand and he uses the oil but then we tried the pill form for me (this was about a year ago when my stomach couldn't tolerate anything.). I may be able to tolerate it now and trying to figure out which form and dose to start with.

Gondwanaland

I tried the NOW brand (liquid form) a couple of years ago. It made me kind of nervous and revved up.
Interesting. Even after recovering from salicylate intolerance I can't tolerate coconut oil anymore and that is precisely how it makes me feel.

Gingergrrl

I tried the NOW brand (liquid form) a couple of years ago. It made me kind of nervous and revved up.

@Sidereal, I didn't have that feeling when I tried it b/c the nausea and GI symptoms were so immediate and severe that I stopped it. If I do try it at a lower dose and I get a nervous or revved up feeling, I would stop it immediately and can't tolerate anything like that! Thanks for letting me know.

kangaSue

There is a very informative book on the subject, "Alzheimer's disease, what if there was a cure" by Dr Mary T. Newport. It discusses MCT oils and coconut oil to provide ketones in the diet without having to resort to a restrictive full ketogenic diet and a pending development of ketone ester by Dr Richard Veech who has also written extensively on the subject.

http;//www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24714648

Last edited: