• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Anyone Read Dr. Myhill's Book?

Runner5

First red flag for me is that the web site is unprofessional and lacks a clear easy to find list of the doctors credentials in the area of CFS or just anything -- but I found a review of the book online...

Unfortunately, there isn't really a cure yet for failing or damaged mitochondria. Dr. Myhill does have an arsenal of treatment options for CFS/ME patients, which essential boil down to a ketogenic diet, massive supplementation, and various methods of attempting to balance thyroid and adrenal function, fight infection, and "detox," which the book lays out in a fair amount of detail. If you want to try her methods and don't have a helpful doctor to work with you, you should be able to do most of her suggestions on your own by following her instructions in the book.

I have been on loads of diets since becoming ill trying to see if anything at all worked. Although all diets do have an effect upon a person one way or another, and I think we all have a preference for how we eat, nothing I ate, no diet undertaken in the last four years, effected the CFS in any way. (Keto is slang for ketosis a state of utilizing fat for energy because you have depleted onboard glycogen storage i.e. it's a low carb diet).

For personal reasons I choose to be starch based and follow the Dr. McDougall way of eating (plant based, starch) and find it's the best fit for me personally. So I am very high carb and have had no increase or decrease of symptoms, although gradually over time I seem to be declining in health, but generally I feel lighter and better eating plants.

I'm not sure about which supplements she advises to take etc. I have personally gone through the long drawn out blood work procedure to test my adrenals (they were normal) and lots of thyroid tests (all normal).

When I was on Facebook though there were so many people contacting me personally to sell me what we call in the states, "snake oil cures." Anytime you are ill with anything and online it is incredible what people will do to get your money. That's just my general clause of beware of people peddling cures.

*cheers*

Richard7

@Arius I have not read Myhill's current book. There was an earlier book she had as a free download from her website that I read about 3 or 4 years ago. I found it useful. I find her site useful. I still would send someone to Myhill if they had no idea about ME/CFS.

I use her site much like I use threads on these forums. I do not expect her to be an authority. We do not know enough about ME/CFS to pretend to be authorities. But she has a lot of clinical experience and has spent a lot of time studying and thinking about ME/CFS

If you search the forums you will find some who like Myhill's stuff and some who really do not like her at all.

If it helps at all I also use ALCAR (I used to have continuously painful muscles, 1g AlCAR per day stopped that). I tried low FODMAPS with the GAPS diet and my brain just stopped. For me that was the worst thing ever. I was doing it to try to deal with SIBO. If that is your reasoning too I found that using Betaine HCL, digestive enzymes and ox bile worked to deal with SIBO. I did this on something like the stone age diet Myhill's recommends.

I have recently been using antifungals (nilstat at the moment) that seem to be fixing up the lower gut, but I am still working on that (I think I also need to deal with PoTS so that I can get the right blood flow to my gut and it can work propperly).

I do not have a spare 25 pounds and the book is not on audio, so I do not imagine that I will read the book, but those are the only reasons.

@Runner5 Re ketosis. Ketosis is not simply burning fat for energy. You can burn a lot of fat without producing ketone bodies. And playing around with different ways of getting energy to see how things work for you makes a lot of sense in the light of the metabolomic data from Armstrong and McGregor.

If your high carbohydrate diet has a lot of fibre and you have the right microbes you may be burning a lot of butyrate. I have a ketonix breath acetone metre that was often deep in the red (highest level of acetone) when I was on too many carbs to be producing my own ketone bodies and not taking MCT oil or exogenous ketones.

overtheedge

If your talking about her Diagnosis and treatment of CFS second edition, I have read it, found a lot of stuff she advocates to be true. Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes rapidly cleared up some very severe chronic constipation I had for a number of years and most likely was the reason my CFS cleared up that first time, though, I blew it by taking on a very excessive amount of work and burnt out but I definitely had a good run, might never have been chronically fatigued again if I had taken a few months after I felt well to consolidate my health.

Have found her mitochondrial recommendations to be great. CoQ10 and ALCAR did amazing stuff for me but then petered out, just had a test done and see I have normal carnitine levels but my CoQ10 is just the tiniest bit away from being low so I'm working on getting that to the high normal range. D-ribose which she recommends still works for me, might be the best supplement I have though I don't use it often since I'm testing out other supplements and don't want to interfere with that so I don't plan to use it until I have quite a number of supplements together that I know do good work to all test and see if they will get me well. Myhill is one of the few who recommend that ribose be taken throughout the day instead of in three lump doses as ribose has a short half life, this has been what has really made the supplement for me, ribose barely did anything for me before I started supplementing it this way. I dissolve 2.5g's ribose in water and take it in thirds every 30 min and reap good results, sometimes take upwards of 20g's per day, though, you should know that it can cause problems for you if you have blood sugar issues.

The thing that annoyed me about her book is that many of the tests she recommends are either only available through her or entirely unavailable unless you work as a researcher in a lab, maybe she is trying to blaze a trail, I don't know, the tests sound very useful, I've wanted to try out the fat biopsy one for pesticides, volatile organic chems, and other toxic substances but can't find any way to. Same thing with the lactate dehydrogenase studies she recommends to find out what organ systems are having troubles. From what her website says she isn't accepting new patients as she is overburdened with work, at least for now, this makes it difficult to get any tests done through her unfortunately.

I have taken extensive notes from the book and I'll post some quotes I found interesting below:

mitochondrial function profile: this is a batch of tests to identify what problems the mitochondria may be having and has important implications for treatment. It includes

ATP profiles: this group of tests looks at levels of ATP (the fundamental form of energy at cell level), how well energy is released from ATP, the rate of production of ATP from ADP in the cells, and movement of ATP and ADP across mitochondrial membranes. (This movement is called translocator protein function and can be blocked by toxins or changes in acidity.) These tests also give an objective measure of the level of disability, that is, the mitochondrial energy score

plasma cell-free DNA this is a measurement of cell damage

red cell NAD levels: this is a measure of the efficiency of energy production in the cells via a process called Krebs citric acid cycle

coenzyme Q 10 levels this substance is the most important antioxidant inside mitochondria. In CFS, levels are nearly always deficient

acetyl l-carnitine: this stuff delivers fuel in the form of acetate into mitochondria

super oxide dismutase three types of this enzyme should be measured. They indicate levels of zinc, copper and manganese, also gene studies to give an indication of toxic damage. Super oxide dismutase is a major antioxidant in all cells

glutathione and glutathione peroxidase studies: these tests indicate levels the trace element selenium

red cell magnesium: this Test can be done as part of ATP profile or separately

These are just a few of the tests she recommends, there are quite a few more in the book

This next part is on theory, I also found the same theory in "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a treatment guide, 2nd edition" it might be in the section on her as the book goes over many of the big name doctors in CFS treatment

Problems with major organs resulting from mitochondrial failure

if mitochondria do not work properly, then the energy supplied every cell in the body will be impaired. This includes the heart. Many of the symptoms of CFS could be explained by low cardiac output because the heart muscle cannot work properly. Cardiologist and other doctors are used to dealing with low cardiac output due to poor blood supply to the heart itself. In CFS, the low cardiac output is caused by poor muscle function therefore, strictly speaking, is what is called cardiomyopathy. This means the function of the heart will be very abnormal, but traditional test of heart failure such as ECG, ECHO and angiography will give normal results. The point is that the blood supply to the heart is fine (fuel and oxygen adequate), at the mitochondria cannot convert this to ATP which is the currency of energy for muscle contraction. Research by Dr. Arnold peckerman shows that cardiac output in CFS sufferers is impaired. Furthermore, the level of impairment correlates very closely with the level of disability in patients. Dr. Peckerman was asked by the US National Institutes of Health to develop a test for CFS in order to help them to judge the level of disability in patients claiming Social Security benefits. Peckerman is a cardiologist, and on the basis that people with CFS suffer low blood pressure, low blood volume and perfusion defects, he surmised they’re in low cardiac output state. To test this he came up with what he called “Q scores”.

Q stands for cardiac output in liters per minute, and this can be measured using a totally noninvasive method called impedance cardiology. This allows cardiac output to measured accurately by measuring the electrical impedance across the chest wall that is the opposition a flow in terms of both magnitude and phase. The greater the blood flow the less the impedance. it Is important that this test is done on the patient is lying down and again the upright position. This is because cardiac output in healthy people will vary from 7 L per minute when lying down 5 L per minute when standing. In healthy people this drop is not enough to affect function but in CFS suffers the drop may be from 5 L lying down to 3.5 L standing up, at this level the sufferer has cardiac output which causes borderline organ failure. This explains why CFS sufferers feel much better lying down because like this to have acceptable output P 26 – 27

low cardiac output explains the symptoms of CFS

the heart manages blood pressure, when blood pressure falls organ start to fail. when The heart is working inadequately than the only way blood pressure can be sustained is by shutting down blood supply to organs, these are shutdown in terms of priority: the skin first, then muscles, followed by the liver, gud, brain and finally the heart, lung, and kidneys. As these organ systems shutdown further problems are created for the body in terms of toxic overload and susceptibility to viruses, which damage mitochondria further, thus exacerbating all the problems of CFS sufferers. one result of a low cardiac output status condition called POTs where the sufferer can stand for only short amounts of time without blacking out P 27 – 28

effects of low cardiac output on the skin

if you shutdown the blood supply to the skin, this has two main effects. The first relates the skin being responsible for controlling the temperature of the body CFS sufferer becomes intolerant to heat because the body gets too hot it cannot lose heat through the skin (because it has no blood supply) and the cold temperature increases. The second problem is that if the microcirculation skin is shut down, then the body cannot detoxify. Skin is a major road through which toxins, particularly heavy metals, pesticides, and VOCs are excreted, in sweat. Consequently the CFS suffers body becomes much better at accumulating toxins.

Symptoms of low cardiac output in the muscles

if the blood supply to your muscles is impaired then muscles quickly run out of oxygen when you start to exercise. With no oxygen the muscles cells switchover to anaerobic metabolism which produces lactic acid and it is this that makes muscles ache and fatigue so much. as well as the above problem muscles in CFS sufferer have very poor stamina because the mitochondrial that supply them with energy are malfunctioning when mitochondria go slow they produce more free radicals. Which further damaged tissue through Pro oxidant stress. When John Mclaren-Howard of acumen laboratories does translocator function tests he often finds lactic acid stuck on a mitochondrial membranes where it has no business to be. This illustrates one of the many vicious cycles in CFS if translocator protein is blocked by lactic acid, mitochondria work less efficiently and therefore cells are more likely to switch into anaerobic metabolism and produce more lactic acid.

Symptoms of low cardiac output in liver and gut

poor blood supply to the gut may result in inefficient digestion poor production of digestive juices and leaky gut syndrome. LGS causes many other problems such as hypochlorhydria, allergies, autoimmunity and malabsorption which further compound the problem of CFS if blood supply to the liver circulation is inadequate and this is combined of poor energy delivery to cells generally causing poor mitochondrial function, this will result in poor detoxification, not just of heavy metals, pesticides and volatile organic compounds, but also toxins produced as result of fermentation in the gut, again further poisoning the mitochondria. Be aware that at rest liver consumes 29% of all the energy generated in the body.

Effects of low cardiac output on the brain

Canadian physician Dr. Byron Hyde has performed many functional scans of the brain of CFS sufferers. Looking at them had I not known the diagnosis I would have diagnose strokes. This is because the energy delivery to some areas of the brain were so impaired. The default is temporary and with rest energy delivery is slowly restored.. However this explains the multiplicity of brain symptoms reported, including poor short-term memory, difficulty multitasking and slow mental processing. Neurotransmitters will not work unless they are accompanied by a molecule of ATP. Improve ATP and you improve all aspects of brain function. Improving ATP delivery has to be the best treatment for foggy brain, early dementia symptoms, low mood and depression.

Effects on the heart

01 angina: where there is poor mitochondrial function there is an early switch and anaerobic metabolism with the production of lactic acid in the muscles, including the muscles of the heart. Lactic acid burn in the heart is called angina.

02 dysrhythmia: poor energy delivery at the cellular level, there may be disturbance of the electrical conductivity which causes dysrhythmias (irregular heartbeat) many CFS sufferers complain of palpitations, missed heartbeats or similar. This is particularly the case in patients with poisoning by chemicals, especially heavy metals, since those chemicals are also directly toxic to nerve cells. Increasingly I believe the dysrhythmias are caused by toxic stress.

03 heart valve damage

04 patent foramen ovale (PFO): as pressures drop in the heart because of weak heartbeats the opening between the left and right sides of the heart that is present in the unborn child but closes at birth (the foramen ovale), may be blown open, causing blood to shunt from right to left rather than flow to the lungs to pick up oxygen. Dr. Paul Cheney, an American physician specializing in CFS, estimates over 90% of CFS sufferers have PFO.

Effects on the lungs and kidneys

lungs and kidneys are protected against poor microcirculation because they have the largest renin angiotensin system (hormone system that regulates blood pressure and fluid balance), which keeps the blood pressure up in these vital organs. This means that clinically it is unusual to see a CFS sufferer with kidney failure or pulmonary hypoperfusion. However, I increasingly find low kidney function (low kidney glomerular filtration rate) in CFS, which may be symptomatic of poor mitochondrial function.

Effects on the eyes

the brain requires energy at a rate 10 times higher than the rest of the body. The retina requires energy 10 times faster than the brain that is 100 times faster than the rest of the body. This is because the business of converting photons alighting on the retina to electrical signals in the brain is energy intensive. No wonder CFS suffers have I symptoms they simply cannot convert light into electrical signals. Many are light intolerant for this reason. P 28 – 33

the major immediate cause of mitochondrial dysfunctions are lack of essential substrates such as magnesium, CoQ10, acetyl l-carnitine, vitamin B3, glutathione, zinc, manganese, copper and selenium, as well as partial blocking of the translocator protein sites in the membranes of mitochondria P 56

supplement regime

with breakfast: (standard for all: swallow ignnus vegepa capsules x 02 – 04 (for EFA’s); hemp oil one dessert spoon full(for EFA’s although the CBD that some or maybe all of the hemp oils on the market contain could have additional benefits, though, it isn’t mentioned in this book)), (mitochondrial support: acetyl l-carnitine 1 g – one small scoop and D ribose 2.5 g (1/2 teaspoon), CoQ10 200 – 300 mg, niacinamide 500 – 1500 mg, magnesium sulfate ½ mL subcutaneous injection or up to 200 mg oral magnesium chloride or transdermal magnesium 5–10 spray shots), (extra antioxidants: B12 methylcobalamin ½ mL subcutaneous injection or take B12 “shot-0-B12” 5000 µg x 1 spray shot or transdermal B12 5 to 10 times spray shots)

midmorning: (dissolve in a hot or cold drink: D ribose 2.5 g (1/2 teaspoon)

with lunch: (D ribose 2.5 g, manganese 3 mg (take for 3 to 6 months))

midafternoon: (D ribose 2.5 g)

with supper: (acetyl l-carnitine 1 g, D ribose 2.5 g, zinc 30 mg (take for three – six months)

last thing at night: (magnesium ascorbate 2 grams (the neutral form of vitamin C), selenium 300 µg (take for four months) P 65 – 66

Been thinking about trying this next one out since I was in a fire and inhaled a lot of smoke from burning plastic not long before I came down with CFS:

time-honored methods of detoxification include saunas, Turkish baths and spa therapies, and I recommend all these treatments to my patients. However, the problem with these treatments is that not only do they warm up the skin and subcutaneous tissues, but the whole body is warmed up. This means that chemicals are mobilized from the fat (which largely speaking lies underneath the skin, and when they get into the bloodstream can cause acute poisoning. Many of my patients are therefore unable to tolerate these sweating therapies. Furthermore, many sick CFS patients cannot tolerate heat because this increases demand on the heart. And severe CFS energy delivered to the heart is impaired so it cannot increase its output to cope with the demand of heat. P 223

Throughout the book she strongly suggests CFS sufferers try B12 and Magnesium through injection and suggests ways to get your doctor to help you do so as well as providing advice on how to inject such as heating the magnesium to room temperature, timing, dosage, and other things. She advises getting B12 injections regardless of blood levels. I've noticed a lot of CFS doctors recommend B12 injections, gonna have to try that

A good number of things from her book can be found word for word on her website

I've read over her website a good bit as well and will post some of the links that I think you may find interesting

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Fermentation_in_the_gut_and_CFS
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Hypochlorhydria_-_lack_of_stomach_acid_-_can_cause_lots_of_problems
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Pancreatic_exocrine_function
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Detoxification_-_an_overview
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Tests_to_investigate_CFS
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Haematology_-_interpretation
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Biochemistry_-_interpretation
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Tests_to_investigate_CFS
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Magnesium
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/B12_-_rationale_for_using_vitamin_B12_in_CFS
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/What_to_do_if_you_get_better_with_magnesium_and_B12_injections?
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/What_Happens_If_Your_GP_Refuses_To_Give_The_Magnesium_And_B12_Injections
http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_education/pepubs/subq.pdf
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Detoxing_-_Far_Infrared_Sauna_(FIRS)

overtheedge

forgot to mention
the methylation cycle was another way she steered me right, though to be true she wasn't the one who got me into it but I'm much more likely to try something by someone if they recommend a lot of things in their protocol which I have already found to work well for me, never had any overt reactions from the methylation supplements but my homocysteine was high as I have a c677t muttion and the methylation supplements corrected that, could have been a real problem if it hadn't been fixed as I understand it

about the book, there is a good deal more in there than I could cover here, a lot of it is on diagnosis and testing, stuff it might help to read to make sure you haven't missed some underlying cause, I probably did cover all of her standard supplement recommendations though. The book has a lot of logic to it which i like, a lot of good ideas for dealing with cfs beyond just supplements

overtheedge

Wish I'd purchased the kindle version, it makes it so easy to take notes, just have to download the free amazon kindle app so you can read it on your PC. The only annoying part is that whenever you copy n paste from kindle to Word it always has the book information two lines below your text, I've found it easiest to not erase that info each time but to just post in between your text and the info text and let the info text build up below and once you have taken all the notes your gonna take highlight all the useless text that will have built up and delete it.