• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had experience with the CFS Discovery Clinic in Donvale, Melbourne, Aust.

EtherSpin

I beleive that CFS Discovery has an extra GP.
One of the GcMAG yoghurts has an Australian site now, but probably is coming from OS
Bravo brand
https://bravoprobiotic.com.au/
there is a second doc yes, lovely person, mostly working on same assumptions as Lewis but some extra study of her own from other doctors around globe who have a perspective on treating CFS. I've been seeing her since mid 2013 so she has obviously been there at least that long.

GcMAF Australia

there is a second doc yes, lovely person, mostly working on same assumptions as Lewis but some extra study of her own from other doctors around globe who have a perspective on treating CFS. I've been seeing her since mid 2013 so she has obviously been there at least that long.
I hope they are helping you

digital dog

Sorry it has taken a while to return the post. I saw Dr Lewis 14 years ago and although he was lovely he only offered me benzos.

The best doctor I saw in Melbourne was Dr Peter Eng inMiddle Park. He was INCREDIBLE. He is not a CFS doctor but he really knows his stuff. I wonder if he is still working as he was quite old.

I have considered moving back to Australia just so that he could be my doctor...and because Australia is a MUCH nicer place to live than crappy England.

digital dog

Etherspin, the clonazepam was fine when I was on it but when I came off it was a very different experience...that was the two years of hell.

EtherSpin

Sorry it has taken a while to return the post. I saw Dr Lewis 14 years ago and although he was lovely he only offered me benzos.

The best doctor I saw in Melbourne was Dr Peter Eng inMiddle Park. He was INCREDIBLE. He is not a CFS doctor but he really knows his stuff. I wonder if he is still working as he was quite old.

I have considered moving back to Australia just so that he could be my doctor...and because Australia is a MUCH nicer place to live than crappy England.
I was in England from 02-05 cause family from there and grass greener. I was surprised what I noticed about Australia as soon as i got back, the staff at a take away place not far from the airport when i got into brisbane actually greeted me warmly and were friendly throughout.. also the media , magazines and papers in the UK got me down!
come back! :)

I'll look up dr Eng

digital dog

Would come back if well enough. Three years ago before I got even sicker we were putting papers in to go to Brisbane.
Then I got sicker and it would be impossible now.

GcMAF Australia

I was in England from 02-05 cause family from there and grass greener. I was surprised what I noticed about Australia as soon as i got back, the staff at a take away place not far from the airport when i got into brisbane actually greeted me warmly and were friendly throughout.. also the media , magazines and papers in the UK got me down!
come back! :)

I'll look up dr Eng
I know peter Eng from some GcMAF work, he is still doing some work
All the best

wonderoushope

I'm always skeptical of doctors giving you a ridiculous amount of meds. How will you ever know what meds are working, if you have been given so many? I had this happen to me when I went to a naturopath and it doesn't sound like these doctors are doing anything different! Oh and surprisingly these places that are always "booked out" and have a long waiting list and then magically find a spot for you. The naturopath I went to did this, and then I realised it was a way for them to gain "hype" and "hope" for potential clients, because you're like "wow, they must be so popular I must get in, screw the high cost!".

EtherSpin

I'm always skeptical of doctors giving you a ridiculous amount of meds. How will you ever know what meds are working, if you have been given so many? I had this happen to me when I went to a naturopath and it doesn't sound like these doctors are doing anything different! Oh and surprisingly these places that are always "booked out" and have a long waiting list and then magically find a spot for you. The naturopath I went to did this, and then I realised it was a way for them to gain "hype" and "hope" for potential clients, because you're like "wow, they must be so popular I must get in, screw the high cost!".
nah these guys are legitimately booked up all the time and if it wasn't for me wanting at least 4 months space between appointments I'd be having trouble getting in. that being said, I feel like the docs diverge more every day

wonderoushope

nah these guys are legitimately booked up all the time and if it wasn't for me wanting at least 4 months space between appointments I'd be having trouble getting in. that being said, I feel like the docs diverge more every day

Well that's good to hear. I'm just skeptical these days :)

What do you mean by "docs diverge more every day"?

Have you found them to be any good?

Kenny Banya

I see Rashmi Cabena, who has SEID/CFS herself
http://www.cfsdiscovery.com.au/dr-rb-cabena-treating-doctor.html

Been very happy with her. Unfortunately, she is overloaded with patients. They need another treating doctor there.
CFS Discovery does a lot of research work with various universities, so Don Lewis & Rashmi are pretty much on the cutting edge of research, for practicing doctors

Kenny Banya

not yet Knackers except that as above the beta blocker is helping me stand up longer , I've had some bad depressive episodes at first treated via fluoxetine/prozac but a second dip despite the prozac and with the doc noting viruses in the family everytime I get an episode I've been put on low dose naltrexone.

separately to that my main treatments are being on the beta blocker, slow release potassium and a regime of anti biotics followed by probiotics to remove and replace with good stuff all the nasties identified in my bioscreen faecal test.

im still at exactly the same energy level as when I commenced I reckon but Im pretty hopeful i will eventually see benefits as the doctors both seem so knowledgable and sincere
Yes beta blockers were also prescribed for my POTS, but I can't say I noticed much difference. So stopped taking. I'll go back to them & pay more attention
As a result of feacal tests, I am just finishing up the 3 month course of antibiotics/probiotics, on a monthly adjustment basis
I tested intolerant for casein & fructose, so major dietary changes back in July
Have low sodium & potassium levels, in blood & cells, so have already taken (& since stopped) taking relevant prescription drugs.
I first saw Rashmi in May, however my symptoms have gotten worse.

EtherSpin

Yes beta blockers were also prescribed for my POTS, but I can't say I noticed much difference. So stopped taking. I'll go back to them & pay more attention
As a result of feacal tests, I am just finishing up the 3 month course of antibiotics/probiotics, on a monthly adjustment basis
I tested intolerant for casein & fructose, so major dietary changes back in July
Have low sodium & potassium levels, in blood & cells, so have already taken (& since stopped) taking relevant prescription drugs.
I first saw Rashmi in May, however my symptoms have gotten worse.
I reckon you would notice the beta blocker fairly easily if it was helping :) anxiety,balance and rapid energy sapping problems decrease drastically vs no meds but I suppose there are people for who its a more subtle difference