• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone gotten CFS after a physical trauma (major car accident, burn, etc) ?

CFS started for me after:

• A serious physical trauma (car accident, burn, etc)

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • An infection (cold, virus, bacterial, travelling)

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • Emotional distress (stress, depression, etc)

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • I don't know, CFS just started without any known trigger

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

Googsta

Doing Well
I haven't voted because I'm not sure when my decline started.
I became seriously ill in early 2001.

Winter 1999 I was finally diagnosed lactose intolerant after a long period of disabling sinus migraines, rash & GI disturbances.

December 1999 passenger in a car accident, whiplash.

December 31st 1999 I had a horse riding accident.
I was unconcious for approximately 40 minutes, by the time the ambulance arrived I was hypothermic. I'd actually fractured 4 lumbar veterbrae & spent 5 days in hospital. But it was intially missed & I was sent home to care for myself but that's a whole 'nother medical incompetence story, lol.

Spring 2000 severe gastro illness, lost 6kg in less than 2 weeks.

January 2001 Whooping Cough, didn't know I was sick & kept working in extreme heat/labour conditions.

Never recovered after that, totally bedridden.

I agree with Rich. If you want to cover all the bases you need to add his suggestions. And may I suggest options for choosing more than one.

Hi, I am very interested in this thread, I got CFS in 2008 when i was 35 years old after having Surgery. I was fine before the op but started experiencing symptoms about 5 weeks after it. During my surgery i also had 2 blood transfusions. I was finally diagnosed with CFS 2 & a half years after the op by a Rheumatologist who believes i got it from the anaesthetics that were used. By the time i was diagnosed i thought i probably had got it from the blood transfusions & had never thought of the anaesthetic as i have had them in the past & been fine, so i have posted my vote under physical trauma.
I have just joined this site but been reading for years. :)

taniaaust1

Im not voting for what caused my ME as it wouldnt be telling my full story.

my history indicates that I could of Igot ME from already having a Th2 dominant system to which I seem to have had right throu my childhood, then I got ME when 26/27 years due to stress and too many late nights etc. It was the trigger into ME. (I think it messed up something in my immune system). As a child I had a blood tranfusion too..so maybe due to that or my family ME/CFS history as we have issues throu my family with it.... maybe something was laying dormant in my system waiting to be triggered.

Many of us have multiple things which probably set the stage for this whole illness.

Whit

Yeah I understand many or most people wound up with CFS/ME from a mix of things or without knowing why. I'm pretty sure mine was related to infection because all 3 times i got worse with new symptoms for the first time was during/shortly after travel abroad. But I still have no idea whether infection was the direct cause or a trigger for something else like an immune reaction. So I agree, it does often seem rather complicated.

I started the thread to see if there are any simple cases of severe physical trauma causing CFS/ME. Looks like there aren't too many. I'm not sure if the ones who voted that way are actually cases like that without having more explanation.

I voted trauma - I had a work injury that resulted in a lot of physio, MRI scans, ultrasounds and other "therapy". The fact that my workplace was incredibly mouldy and dusty (like an over sized petri dish), I think it stressed out my immune system way too much. After a bout of flu and gastro etc, I eventually developed ME/CFS after 10months.

Such is life:(

Has anyone wound up with CFS after/from an incident of major physical trauma? By physical trauma I mean a major car accident, a serious burn something like that. I'm not talking about emotional trauma or an infection, however serious. You would have been hospitalized for this kind of physical trauma. Most of the time when someone has an idea of what started CFS for them, it seems to be an infection of some sort. I am curious if it can also be caused by physical trauma.

By CFS I am referring to symptoms of fatigue including post exertional malaise. If you got CFS after trauma, please list your specific symptoms and any signs of physiological illness like high viral tiders, deficiencies, etc.

If you know someone who wound up with CFS after trauma, please post, or ask them to answer the poll!

Thanks! :hug:

I have heard people say that major trauma is a common cause of ME. My husband has ME due his brain injury from a major car accident. I know of many people with brain injuries (mostly the more severe type as in diffuse injury) who also have ME.

beaverfury

beaverfury
I got bitten by ticks. Was overdoing physical activity in and out of work. Had a tooth infection. Busy week with some relationship stress thrown in..and whammo....virus..... me/cfs/lyme

JollyRoger

That's a really interesting thread because a subgroup of medicines like Dr.Chia believes that it is a single virus like a retrovirus.
But this doesn't fit into some backgrounds.

My ailment started after a long time with a sore throat.
But the real bang was a vaccination; this was the last drop.

Had a cycling accident in 2016 aged 37. Broke left wrist and basket broke right elbow requiring surgery and metal plate. Started getting symptoms after a couple of months.

Had metal plate out and still have symptoms. I was fit as a fiddle before. 2 years on still suffer tiredness, irritability and pinching feeling type headaches near the temples..

Anyone have similar experiences??.. Danny

Hi, I am very interested in this thread, I got CFS in 2008 when i was 35 years old after having Surgery. I was fine before the op but started experiencing symptoms about 5 weeks after it. During my surgery i also had 2 blood transfusions. I was finally diagnosed with CFS 2 & a half years after the op by a Rheumatologist who believes i got it from the anaesthetics that were used. By the time i was diagnosed i thought i probably had got it from the blood transfusions & had never thought of the anaesthetic as i have had them in the past & been fine, so i have posted my vote under physical trauma.
I have just joined this site but been reading for years. :)

Hi mate... I've copied you my recent post below..

Had a cycling accident in 2016 aged 37. Broke left wrist and basket broke right elbow requiring surgery and metal plate. Started getting symptoms after a couple of months.

Had metal plate out and still have symptoms. I was fit as a fiddle before. 2 years on still suffer tiredness, irritability and pinching feeling type headaches near the temples..

Anyone have similar experiences??.. Danny