When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has Anyone Done Mystery Shopping?

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by Misfit Toy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    I was looking online for jobs that you can do on your time. Well, I found mystery shopping. I thought, well, that might be fun.

I just signed up for my first mystery shopping job. I have to go to a car dealership nearby and basically talk to them about a certain vehicle, get the guys business card and then come home and talk about my experience. Was the salesman good, etc?

It's not a lot of money, but it's an hour out of my day and I am going to see how I like it.

I know many are too sick to do something like this. Like I said, I am just going to try it.

We shall see! It will just make me feel like I am doing something. Again, one hour out of a week.

Rlman, Sancar, PatJ and 5 others like this.
  2. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    Ooh. I'm curious to hear about your experience with this. I looked into it years ago but never tried it. Keep us posted!

Misfit Toy likes this.
  3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    What if the sales guy is so good you come away with a new vehicle

Rlman, ukxmrv, Sancar and 3 others like this.
  4. gettinbetter

gettinbetter Senior Member

San Francisco Bay Area
    I would like to know if this is legitimate too

Misfit Toy likes this.
  5. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    This one sounds legit to me, but I do want to put a warning out for "secret shoppers" ads. My company had checks stolen last month, and one of the schemes they used to get $$ is posted ads for secret shoppers. They were sent a fraudulent check from my company, and asked to purchase itunes gift cards at various stores and rate their experience. Then they send the itunes cards back to the crooks. Untraceable and laundered money.

Your car shopping sounds legit, so I wouldn't worry. But if someone sends far more $ than they said they would, and asks for gift cards back in exchange (or a personal check from you), I would be a little concerned. No, a lot of concerned. Red flag concerned.

Best of luck! I don't want to scare you, some personal shopper ads are real.

Misfit Toy, PatJ, bspg and 1 other person like this.
  6. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

LOL...or, you come away with the sales guy!

wastwater likes this.
  7. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Maybe wait a few days to report back so you can see whether they bug you by phone or email after your visit.

Sancar and bspg like this.
  8. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I've done recruiting for focus groups (not mystery shopping, but similar... product/marketing ppl are always looking for customer feedback in various forms..) and there's always a screening ahead of time that goes through a list of questions... it will give you a chance to evaluate THEM as much as it's a chance for them to evaluate you... If they skip this step, or don't have a 1:1 call, then it's prob a scam.

Misfit Toy and PatJ like this.
  9. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    The company that does this is Best Mark. They are top notch. I don't have to pay anything to do it. I just have to report back. There are a lot of questions they ask. I have no idea if it will be worth it. They will send me a check.

I totally looked into this before I signed up because I am not into scams, not that anyone is!

10. rel8ted

rel8ted Senior Member

VA
    There are legit companies that hire people for this, yes. Do NOT pay a fee to the scam companies. I used to do these when I was well enough to drive and get out more.

I worked for a company that mystery shopped the Post Office almost a year, Got paid $15 per visit and planned my other errands accordingly, so I was able to shop 4 offices.

There are some that visit apartment complexes or have you takes pics of rental houses. I found restaurant shops to not be worth the hassle they always wanted a ton of food pics (like one of a pizza flipped completely upside down).

I always enjoyed them.

See more popular forum discussions.