• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anybody tried moxibustion?

Hi all,

I am currently doing a long acupuncture therapy for my debilitating headaches (a mix of throbbing pain, migraines, vertigo, paralysis...).

As I proceed I may also try moxibustion. Has anybody tried it for headaches or other problems? What about the results? I am really curious about it!

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I tried moxibustion for several months. The area to heat was over a point on each ankle. I found it relaxing but I don't know if it was the heat, or the odor of the moxibustion sticks, or just from sitting and focusing on my breathing while doing the moxibustion. It didn't seem to have any long term health benefits but maybe I didn't do it long enough (acupuncture related treatments are like filling a bucket with water, drop-by-drop; it takes a long time to see results).

I eventually stopped because I got a 2nd degree burn on one leg. I held the moxi stick at the right height (or so I thought) so that I felt heat, but not too much, yet I still got a serious burn. It made me wonder if I have nerve damage that prevented me from feeling the burn gradually occur; or maybe it was a frog-in-the-cooking-pot effect where the burn was so gradual that i didn't feel it until it was serious.

ukxmrv

Yes, I've done it twice with a course of acupuncture from a trained person. Have a burn on my back from it.

I didn't feel that the acupuncture or the moxibustion had any effects on my ME symptoms.

A longer course of purely acupuncture for the pain and loss of mobility after a road traffic accident did help but only after a long time of fortnightly sessions (i.e. months).

This isn't a treatment I'd use as a first choice for anything.

Basilico

Florida
I did use it for a few months years ago when I was pursuing acupuncture therapy. I continued the moxibustion for a month after stopping the acupuncture (since I was unable to get to the acupuncturist but could do the moxibustion on my own at home). During this month I slowly lost any benefit I'd gained with the acupuncture and it became obvious that the moxibustion was doing nothing, so I gave up on it.

However, I was using it for a different purpose than you, and not everyone responds the same, so if you feel it's worthwhile to pursue, don't let my experience dissuade you.

IreneF

I saw traditional Japanese moxibustion practiced. Herbs were burned directly on my friend's back. It was obviously painful, and I don't think it helped him. (What he needed was to lay off hashish, which he eventually figured out.)