• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Harriet Hall CFS: Rituximab Revisited in Science-Based Medicine

msf

So...is it possible? Would a reduction of cytokine levels be expected to be occur through any of those potential mechanisms?

msf

I guess that ´T-cell polarization to a suppressive phenotype´ would cause cytokine reduction. When I thought about it, I realised that autoinflammatory diseases probably involve inflammatory cytokines - could this be how Ritux works in RA?

Comment under the article:
do you know any more details about the german group ? like is there anywhere I could read about the dosage and frequency etc ?
regarding subgroups, I do not in any way mean to be disrespectful or dismissive but why would we think that autoimmune/immune dysfunction driven CFS people are a slice as opposed to all of us when we are talking about people who fit the more robust criteria (PEM , memory problems, comprehension and word finding problems, unrefreshing sleep, sensory overload, POTS or less specific OI etc) ? If NK cells being both ineffective and low in number is a common characteristic wouldn't this indicate most of us are this way either because of or VIA a mechanism of a now errant immune system ?
I ask because I want to keep my own expectations firmly in check RE this medication but at the same time I imagined that ritux or related drugs would easily treat more than 20% of us. don't we still have a long way to go with observing the rate and effect of B-cell depletion so a balance can be struck with spacing between infusions, how long a treatment schedule goes for and the actual dosage ?

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
I think Jonathan would have to answer that..

But both B-cells and T-cells can produce cytokines, so for me it seems to be in the realm of possibility:p
Also, endothelial cells can produce it. So if an proposed autoimmune attack against those cells seizes? Who knows, not me..