International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hard to Talk

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by Catjbro, May 18, 2016.

1. Catjbro

Catjbro

Canada
    i think this may be more my adrenals - I'm not sure - but does anyone else get like there is an elephant standing on your chest and stomach and even the thought of having to talk is monumental. It's like I try to say something but this crushing weight on those areas is stopping me. It's so isolating along with the physical and mental exhaustion.

I actually feel like I'm going from a 1 to a zero. It's getting hard just to get to the bathroom. I'm scared.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Jennifer J, NL93 and shannah like this.
  2. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

I had difficulty talking in anything other than a croak for the first year or two. I learned to communicate with hand signals.

I was diagnosed by an ENT consultant with laryngitis, which he attributed partly to acid reflux (which I didn't and don't have). I was sent for speech therapy. When I didn't respond to the speech therapy, I was told that part of my problem was that I had learned to fear using my voice and this made my voice come out croaky. I knew this was fiddlesticks and that my voice was croaky because I was ill, but it was futile telling them that.

The croakiness has improved as time has gone on (even if it returns now and again) but other common symptoms of ME/CFS are still very much with me.

Jennifer J and Catjbro like this.
  3. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    So sorry. I have this too. Most days i don't even talk to people at all. When i talk too long i get out of breath.

I also understand the fear of getting worse. It is scaring the crap out of me, and i am not a person that gets scared easily. This disease is just such a nightmare.

The only thing i can suggest is to talk less if it feels like too much of an exertion. For me a lot of symptoms tend to get a bit better with rest.

Jennifer J and Catjbro like this.
  4. Catjbro

Catjbro

Canada
    Unfortunately I do get fearful easily - trying to work on that. It scares me tho that I'm so exhausted I can barely communicate with others.

See more popular forum discussions.