• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair loss

meadowlark

Has anyone experienced significant hair loss since developing this illness? My hair has always been thin and fine, and because I'm now 60, I know that more thinning should be expected. But it does go down the drain/stay in the comb at a scary rate, and within the past six months I've developed five hair-free patches on my scalp, about an inch in diameter. (Wish to God I had the money for a wig!)

Has anyone else with ME/CFS had unexpected hair loss, or is this just what fate had in the cards for me anyway?

Valentijn

A lot of deficiencies can cause this ... biotin (B7), iron, thyroid, etc. Also infections, genes, or autoimmune disease could cause it. Not very helpful :-(

alice1

low cortisol means lower hormone levels.i'm post meno(12 years) and my hair started to fall out 8 months ago.
I'm on a low dose of hormones plus low cortef to help a variety of problems.hair loss being one.

Boule de feu

2003 - started losing my hair and a lot of weight

2004 - we can start seeing the difference on photos

2005 - always sick. Dr. says that I have a bug who loves me very much and won't go away

2006 - my whole appearance has changed drastically, and we can tell which photos were taken prior to my illness
2007 - during a spinal tap procedure, a very mean hematologist who believed my illness is psychosomatic asked me when did I start pulling on my hair??? :-(

2011 - still losing my hair and starting to feel very sad about it.

Last year - i bought a wig but I find it too hot during the summer.

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
Do you use product on your hair? Colour, styling, leave in conditioner? What sort of shampoo do you use?

I have experienced hair loss and thinning over the years. About 5 years ago I was leaving a trail of waist length black hair in my wake - lovely :D

I experience very unhealthy hair from time to time and it has usually been resolved by chopping the whole lot off and starting again. Not a realistic intervention for some people, I know. Cutting one's hair can be a terrifying experience.

Can you wear hats/scarves if you feel unhappy with the hair loss?

meadowlark

Hello all: Many thanks for the kind replies, and I'm sorry to be so late responding.

A few years ago, I accompanied a dear friend who had cancer to a wig/hat seminar that her hospital provided, and I'm glad I paid attention, as itching and heat were both addressed.

Supposedly a handwoven, human-hair wig at the $3,000 price point eliminates itching and reduces heat. Obviously, unless I win the lottery, a wig that expensive is out of the question. But oddly, I've always wanted a wig, even as a teenager .... just for fun, you understand, not for necessity. So at least I don't see wigs as something shameful, purchased to hide some inadequacy... if a wig was obviously not real hair, I could cheerfully ask people how they like my artificial 'do. (Flamingo pink, maybe.)

Boule de Feu: Yes, it might be hard to endure for long periods in the summer ... but at least here in Canada (I'm in Toronto) we tend to have long winters. Interesting that you have had both weight and hair loss. I initially had a drastic weight loss; now constant bed rest is causing weight gain. Strange how persistent vanity is: along with the illness, weight gain and less than a cup of hair wisping over my head -- dull-looking wisps at that, what my sister calls "sick hair"... just add insult to injury.

Mary Poppins: I use baby shampoo and a wash-out conditioner. It has always been too fragile for anything else. No dyes, perms, or chemicals.

Alice1: Thank you: I will ask my doctor about the hormones.

Cindi: Thank you too! I'm not on DHEA.

Valentijn: Re autoimmune diseases, a young relative of mine had a summer job at a hair salon that makes wigs at reduced prices for people with cancer or alopecia. Of course, this is the right thing to do. When she asked if help could be offered to those with autoimmune diseases, she was told that no salon could stay in business if they did. There may be some truth in that.

At any rate, I found myself cruising Etsy this morning looking for hats, snoods, bandanas, etc., designed for cancer patients. There's no question that this would look better than my real hair. But. envisioning myself that way, I realized that many people would assume I have cancer. And I thought, "Well, at least I might get some sympathy/respect then." I'm not proud of that, especially as I've lost dear friends to cancer. It's a symptom, I guess, of loss of dignity.

ukme

Has anyone had any luck with reversing this hair loss using vitamins etc? My teenage daughter is now getting this, could it be linked to low cortisol as alice1 posted? Never heard that one before.

Enid

Apart from all the advice above can I add - significant hair loss in early days which lessened and now stabilised with correct thyroxine treatment (and various recognised ME supps over the years - can't specify which in particular and think thyroid treatment did the trick).

Hi
Do you take DHEA. Excess DHEA may cause hair loss.best wishes

I take excessive DHEA and no hair loss. hyperthyroid causes hair loss. Maybe you are sub-clinically hyperthyroid?

Rydra

I think you really want to know how to prevent hair loss. I should tell you that even though I was hyperthyroid for almost a year I did not lose hair and that is a well known symptom of hyperthyroid. I suspect it is because I take high dose antioxidants, which you might try. I am almost out of battery, but there are articles at www.lef.org regarding preventing hair loss. Good luck