• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gynecomastia/ Cirurgy/ Tamoxifen = Pain?

Folk

Hey... Strangely I think I've never wondered about that.

I'm a man and I've had gynecomastia when I was a teenager. I took Tamoxifen wich is an antagonist of the estrogen receptor in the breast tissue.

It work a little but I ended up having cirurgy to reduce my breast.

Not much after that my pains started.

I've seen that they are relating estrogen to CFS/ME and FMS. (http://simmaronresearch.com/2014/12/age-patterns-mecfs-hormones-autoimmunity-viruses/)

I wonder if anyone have more info on that!?

Could I have messed with my estrogen levels?

drob31

The other factor in your post in surgery. I also wonder how much of a factor surgery is.

Folk

The other factor in your post in surgery. I also wonder how much of a factor surgery is.

Yes I've wondered about that too... more because of the anesthesia... But I really don't think ti could be the root cause.
It's probable that most CFS/ME and FMS patients never went trhough surgery

drob31

I don't know that it's specifically the surgery, but rather the trauma of surgery and the stress. Genetics + stress + hormone dysregulation could = CFS.

Aurator

I don't know that it's specifically the surgery, but rather the trauma of surgery and the stress. Genetics + stress + hormone dysregulation could = CFS.
I don't think that's an unreasonable hypothesis, and could ultimately prove valid at least for a cross-section of PWME. Does anyone know whether we have a poll anywhere on the site re people's history of trauma/serious illness? I'm an identical twin, have had a very similar life to my sibling, except for the fact that I spent some time in Intensive Care following a road accident many years ago which left me with multiple injuries. Unlike me, he doesn't have ME/CFS.

Kati

Patient in training
I don't think that's an unreasonable hypothesis, and could ultimately prove valid at least for a cross-section of PWME. Does anyone know whether we have a poll anywhere on the site re people's history of trauma/serious illness? I'm an identical twin, have had a very similar life to my sibling, except for the fact that I spent some time in Intensive Care following a road accident many years ago which left me with multiple injuries. Unlike me, he doesn't have ME/CFS.

@Aurator researchers would love to take a look at twins. If only they could get funded...

Aurator

@Aurator researchers would love to take a look at twins. If only they could get funded...
Yes, it would seem to be a logical way of trying to identify and account for patterns of deviation from certain norms. In the long run it might also save a great deal of needless research up blind alleys.