• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut Microbes May Talk to the Brain Through Cortisol

AndyPR

Gut Microbes May Talk to the Brain Through Cortisol
ARTICLES7 MIN READ
Summary: Researchers identify a predictive relationship between serotonin, cortisol and fecal microbiota. The study provides additional support for previous findings that implicate gut bacteria in ASD.

Source: University of Illinois.

Gut microbes have been in the news a lot lately. Recent studies show they can influence human health, behavior, and certain neurological disorders, such as autism. But just how do they communicate with the brain? Results from a new University of Illinois study suggest a pathway of communication between certain gut bacteria and brain metabolites, by way of a compound in the blood known as cortisol. And unexpectedly, the finding provides a potential mechanism to explain the characteristics of autism.

“Changes in neurometabolites during infancy can have profound effects on brain development, and it is possible that the microbiome — or collection of bacteria, fungi, and viruses inhabiting our gut — plays a role in this process,” says Austin Mudd, a doctoral student in the Neuroscience Program at U of I. “However, it is unclear which specific gut bacteria are most influential during brain development and what factors, if any, might influence the relationship between the gut and the brain.”
http://neurosciencenews.com/gut-microbes-cortisol-7338/

Another article I thought was quite interesting.

AndyPR

Another article on this - http://www.sciencealert.com/cortisol-could-be-how-gut-bacteria-communicates-with-the-brain

but also the paper as well - open access at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19490976.2017.1353849
A dynamic relationship between the gut microbiota and brain is pivotal in neonatal development. Dysbiosis of the microbiome may result in altered neurodevelopment; however, it is unclear which specific members of microbiota are most influential and what factors might mediate the relationship between the gut and the brain.

Twenty-four vaginally-derived male piglets were subjected to magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 30 d of age. Ascending colon contents, feces, and blood were collected and analyzed for volatile fatty acids, microbiota relative abundance by 16s rRNA, and serum metabolites, respectively. A mediation analysis was performed to assess the mediatory effect of serum biomarkers on the relationship between microbiota and neurometabolites.

Results indicated fecal Ruminococcus and Butyricimonas predicted brain N-acetylaspartate (NAA). Analysis of serum biomarkers indicated Ruminococcus independently predicted serum serotonin and cortisol. A 3-step mediation indicated: i) Ruminococcus negatively predicted NAA, ii) Ruminococcus negatively predicted cortisol, and iii) a significant indirect effect (i.e., the effect of fecal Ruminococcus through cortisol on NAA) was observed and the direct effect became insignificant.

Thus, serum cortisol fully mediated the relationship between fecal Ruminococcus and brain NAA. Using magnetic resonance spectroscopy, this study used a statistical mediation analysis and provides a novel perspective into the potential underlying mechanisms through which the microbiota may shape brain development. This is the first study to link Ruminococcus, cortisol, and NAA in vivo, and these findings are substantiated by previous literature indicating these factors may be influential in the etiology of neurodevelopmental disorders.

Countrygirl

https://www.ecronicon.com/ecne/pdf/ECNE-07-00210.pdf

Pamela I Nehrke, Pamela A Fox and Leonard A Jason* Center for Community Research, DePaul University, Chicago, IL, USA *Corresponding Author: Leonard A Jason, Director, Center for Community Research, DePaul University, Chicago, IL, USA. Citation: Pamela I Nehrke, Pamela A Fox and Leonard A Jason.

“Research Volunteers’ Attitudes Toward Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis”. EC Neurology 7.4 (2017): 172-178. Received: July 24, 2017; Published: August 16, 2017

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) are stigmatizing illnesses characterized by cognitive difficulties, post-exertional malaise, unrefreshing sleep, and other symptoms. Patients are often incapacitated and stigmatized as having a psychological disorder. The Chronic Fatigue Attitudes Test (CAT) assesses stigmatizing views toward individuals with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, however, there is little research examining factors that may account for variation in stigmatizing attitudes toward this group. We examined CAT scores among college age research volunteers (N = 90), hypothesizing that exposure to information about ME and CFS as a result of volunteering on a ME and CFS-related research project would be associated with less stigmatizing attitudes compared to volunteers on unrelated projects. Findings indicated that ME and CFS research volunteers expressed less stigmatizing attitudes. Educational efforts aiming to disseminate accurate information about ME and CFS may mitigate stigma and the experience of stigma among individuals with ME and CFS. Keywords: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Stigma; Attitudes; Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Click on the link for more

Skippa

Anti-BS
Hi, I think there's another thread, but you've done some great work summarising here, thanks, so I'd rather see this thread merged than deleted :thumbsup:

And to add: yeah I'm not surprised cortisol is a sneaky little, erm, thing that is causing problems because of [as yet unknown reasons]; it ties together the PEM phenomenom, the role of the gut and brain, ups and downs with activity and stress, everything.

I'd love to see this replicated conclusively.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Wtf: people who have made the decision to help with this condition have less stigmatising attitudes than others.

Well duuuuuuurrrrhh!

Dey got a baaaad additooood!

Last edited:

ebethc

The researchers have specifically found that cortisol – often called the 'stress hormone' – could act as a messenger to chemicals in our heads. These chemicals – called brain metabolites or neurometabolites – are crucial for helping the brain to function and grow.

"Changes in neurometabolites during infancy can have profound effects on brain development," explains neuroscientist Austin Mudd from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, "and it is possible that the microbiome – or collection of bacteria, fungi, and viruses inhabiting our gut – plays a role in this process."
"These brain metabolites have been found in altered states in individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD)," Mudd says, "yet no previous studies have identified specific links between bacterial genera and these particular metabolites."

https://www.sciencealert.com/cortisol-could-be-how-gut-bacteria-communicates-with-the-brain