• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut Guidance Please...Sulfur?

Christopher

I really have no idea what's going on with my gut or how to fix it.

A few years ago, out of the blue my gut started to act up, first as lactose intolerance, months later gluten intolerance, and months later general carbohydrate intolerance. Never diarrhea, but frequent episodes of constipation. My mood would turn extremely anxious and I would produce tons of gas and would belch for a couple hours. Every time I expelled gas, my anxiety would be relieved until the gas started building back up again.

When this first started, my stomach would experience the effects acutely, but by now it has settled down, and I'm left with the same anxiety 24/7 that the belching used to help with (I do not belch anymore). I used to have a fine appetite and no food intolerances, and now I don't remember what true hunger feels like.

On occassion when I feel especially anxious, I'll take charcoal and within minutes the anxiety dissipates - the charcoal only helps once in a while. On occasions where I've taken ALA, my gut has permanently been worsened by it. I don't know if it's due to the sulfur and points to an issue with that.

I also since trying ALA have had worse phenol and salicylate sensitivity.

To be honest, I was smoking a lot of marijuana at the time, so is it at all possible that the salicylates were overwhelming some detox pathway, causing a build-up of a toxin some gut bacteria had been producing for a while?

The last time I tried ALA and my stomach got screwed up, molybdenum seemed to calm it down a bit.

Any ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
If charcoal makes you feel better then it must be binding to something thats toxic. Could it be metals? mercury? if so thats why the ALA will make you feel worse.

Phred

@Christopher the bloating and constipation could be leaky gut and/or candida. Are you still dairy and gluten free? For leaky gut you may have to give up corn and soy too. For candida you could try olive leaf extract and/or oil of oregano.

I know what you're going through. I still get bloating sometimes too. Good luck and I hope you find relief soon.

Plum

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have severe gut problems which I am only just starting to get on top of.

I never had food allergies before and then when my ME became severe, the food allergies started. I am now at a point where I have chronic gastritis amongst other things. I also suffer from anxiety.

The thing which is currently working for me is: strict Paleo/Primal. All organic. Every meal is meat, small portion of potato and some veg. I recently realised I am allergic to eggs. I eat no grains. My dairy allergy doesn't seem to exist anymore though so a little cheese or live yoghurt is ok. I can't eat fruit. I can drink large quantities of water. I can eat anything cold!

For me anxiety seems to be linked to a blood sugar imbalance or too much caffeine etc.

If charcoal is mopping up some toxins then I would consider liver detoxifying herbs.

Common supplements for gut issues include; glutamine, aloe vera, digestive enzymes and probiotics. Bone broth is good too for healing leaky gut.

ahmo

Another comment on diet. GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) diet made the initial impact on my extreme anxiety state. Since then, vitamin and minerals have turned me into a relatively calm person. GAPS is in many ways a Paleo diet for sick people. Many many blogs and forums available. good luck. ahmo