• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut bacteria linked to multiple sclerosis

Sidereal

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-03639-3?WT.mc_id=TWT_NA_1709_RESEARCHIGHLIGHT_PORTFOLIO

Sergio Baranzini at the University of California, San Francisco, and his colleagues transplanted bacteria taken from the intestines of people with MS into mice. They found that when MS-like disease was induced in the mice, the animals were more severely affected than mice given bacteria from healthy people. The mice also had fewer regulatory T cells, which dampen inflammation, and higher levels of inflammatory proteins.

In a separate study, Hartmut Wekerle and Gurumoorthy Krishnamoorthy at the Max Plank Institute of Neurobiology in Martinsried, Germany, and their colleagues assessed the microbiomes of 34 sets of identical twins in which just one twin had MS. Mice colonized with gut microbes from the healthy twins produced more interleukin-10, an anti-inflammatory protein that protects against autoimmune disease, than mice treated with samples from twins with MS.

Tregs and IL-10 showing up again. (cc: @nandixon @adreno )

Sidereal

This is close to what I believe happens in ME. Dysbiosis, perhaps combined with genetic dispositions, plus an environmental insult (trigger).

Interesting to see an increased prevalence of the mucin-degrading Akkermansia in MS patients. A few years ago when potato starch and prebiotics were all the rage, some paleos were promoting this bacterium as a sign of great gut health & good for weight loss.

adreno

PR activist
Interesting to see an increased prevalence of the mucin-degrading Akkermansia in MS patients. A few years ago when potato starch and prebiotics were all the rage, some paleos were promoting this bacterium as a sign of great gut health & good for weight loss.
I read on cfsremission that akkermansia is generally low in ME.

adreno

PR activist
Lately I have been thinking that ME is sort of the opposite of MS. So if a treatment is recommended for MS it is probably crap for ME.

alicec

I think it is a sign of good gut health and indicates good mucosal barrier function.

Too much though can lead to erosion of the mucous barrier.

bertiedog

I read on cfsremission that akkermansia is generally low in ME.

In my recent American Gut results Akkermansia was the 7th most predominant bacteria in my gut but only at pretty low levels 0.75%. Dr Michael Mosley in his book called The Clever Guts Diet is all for increasing this bacteria in the gut because it is associated with less obesity btw.

Pam

adreno

PR activist
In my recent American Gut results Akkermansia was the 7th most predominant bacteria in my gut but only at pretty low levels 0.75%. Dr Michael Mosley in his book called The Clever Guts Diet is all for increasing this bacteria in the gut because it is associated with less obesity btw.
I just got my results from uBiome, and they are:

Akkermansia: 1.30 X