• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great news: IACFS/ME Newsletter makes important Primer announcement

Firestormm

Thanks for the heads-up Waiting. I have popped the relevant section onto Cort's thread about the Primer vs. Toolkit: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...n-cdc-toolkit-vs-iacfs-me-primer.18617/page-2

From the August 2012 IACFS/ME Newsletter: http://www.iacfsme.org/NewsletterAugust2012/tabid/512/Default.aspx
...Two major IACFS/ME efforts are in play. First our ME/CFS Primer for Clinical Practitioners published on our website in May has received many favorable reviews.

In addition, in its June meeting, the (US) CFS Advisory Committee in Washington, D.C. recommended wide dissemination of the Primer, particularly to primary care providers.

The discussion included the National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC) as a possible venue.

The NGC is a website intended to make evidence-based clinical practice guidelines, related summaries, and companion materials widely available to health care professionals.

It is supported by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the lead US agency charged with improving the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of healthcare.

In response to an invitation from the NGC, we submitted the primer for consideration in their guidelines listings. We have just received word that the Primer has been accepted for inclusion and posting on the NGC website in the fall.

This will facilitate much wider dissemination of the document.

A future revision of the Primer will consider the public feedback we have received including

(a) concerns about the negative effect of any type of exercise in severely ill homebound patients;

(b) requests for more information on the potentially positive impact of pleasant activities;

and

(c) strong sentiments for wide dissemination of the Primer...

Fred Friedberg, PhD

President

IACFS/ME

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm very pleased about the update (will they include more immune and infection things?) and the government website and (a) and (c), but confused about the utility of (b)? that just sounds like CBT/patient support and not an ME and/or CFS issue? why do we feel a need to coach docs about patient support here?

justinreilly

I'm very pleased about the update (will they include more immune and infection things?) and the government website and (a) and (c), but confused about the utility of (b)? that just sounds like CBT/patient support and not an ME and/or CFS issue? why do we feel a need to coach docs about patient support here?
I agree. Who was this "public feedback" on (b) from?

I think it's pretty clear that recommending exercise for any ME patient other than those only mildly affected is, on balance, detrimental.