International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Great explanation of Autoimmune Disease

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by drob31, Nov 28, 2014.

1. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

He mentioned that an estrogen drop (one example) can precipitate an autoimmune response.

Has anyone ever had a cyrex autoimmune pannel run?

2. msf

msf Senior Member

He was a chiropractor, not sure that's the best start if you want to understand auto-immune disease. And he hasn't obtained his neurology degree yet. His mentor sounds much better qualified, why isn't he giving the presentation? Anyway, just anticipating some of Prof. Edward's concerns. It is a easy-to-understand intro to the basics of the immune response, but it would have been good if he explained how inhibiting IL-1 is better than using immuno-suppressive drugs, and how the 'nervous-endocrine-immune axis' works.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

This is a complete joke. He even thinks that cytokines are white blood cells (they are molecules not cells). This is what you would expect from someone who knows no immunology at all who has been to a lecture and not quite understood it. The explanation is great in the sense that he speaks clearly and sounds knowledgeable but sadly he has no clue. It has nothing to do with real immunology, let alone autoimmunity. We have a much better explanation from Simon on PR!! Much much much better - Simon knows exactly what he is talking about!

cfsStevew, aimossy, Simon and 4 others like this.
  4. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Link please :)

5. Jonathan Edwards

And it's an advert. After 'educating' us all in this gobbledygook he invites us to his office - scary that there are people who think they can get away with this.

catly likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Under General ME/CFS News it is a thread entitled immunology in five minute bites.

Simon and optimist like this.
  7. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Merci!

8. msf

msf Senior Member

Haha, I didn't even notice that he said that cytokines were a kind of cell...back to immunology school!

9. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Simon and optimist like this.
  10. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Interesting. Even though my autoimmunity runs in my family, my symptoms only started to manifest when I had to stop to take the pill after a DVT.

See more popular forum discussions.