• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Got 23andme results

I ran my 23andme results through the geneticgenie website to get my methylation and detox profile. I then used the information at knowyourgenetics.com to get a yasko report. I guess I didn't realize that all of the SNP's weren't covered in 23andme that are asked for there. I hope this information will help me. Any advice or information is appreciated.

Attachments

• geneticgenie.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 17

Critterina

@christensencam ,
With MTHFR C677T +/- methylfolate is an important first supplement to consider
With MTRR A66G +/+ B12 supplement will also be important, but as you probably know there are 4 forms
With all the COMT +s, you may be sensitive to methylcobalamin (methylB12). Some people are; not everybody is. It appears that people on this form who are sensitive to methylB12 can often use hydroxyB12

Please don't just take advice from people like me, but learn what you can and make your own decisions about the supplements. My comments are meant to give you a place to start. While Freddd and I disagree about a lot of things, he has had remarkable success with his "deadlock quartet" methylation protocol. It's something to consider if you can tolerate methylB12.

Let us know how you do!

Thanks to both of you. I haven't done well with methylcobalamin at all, maybe because of the COMT. I have been researching quite a bit, but I guess I will just have to experiment. I have seen Freddd's plan. Looks like something to consider. Before I address the MTHFR, MTRR, COMT, apparently there is somewhat of an order to go by. Not sure what works best in peoples experience, though. Like CBS, BHMT (get the short route going), getting lithium in place before those others. I guess I want to do everything right the first time, but that is probably not a reality. Kind of wondering why I didn't get a result from 23andme for SHMT. Maybe it's not covered. What testing did you get, Critterina?

Critterina

I have seen Freddd's plan. Looks like something to consider.
Kind of wondering why I didn't get a result from 23andme for SHMT. Maybe it's not covered. What testing did you get, Critterina?

If you don't tolerate methylcobalamin, you don't want to use Freddd's plan. Look at Rich's Simplified Methylation Protocol. I'm not that familiar with it, but I know you can't do Freddd's plan without methylcobalamin.

I did the 23andMe. Go to 'browse raw data' and put in
rs1979277
on the right search bar. A is +

Thanks for your input, Critterina. I tried your tip to browse the raw data for that rs#. This was the message: "No SNPs matching 'rs1979277' found in the data from your chip." There were several missing results in my geneticgenie report and thus are not in my 23andme raw data. MTRR H595Y, MTRR R415T, BHMT-04, AHCY-02, CBS N212N, SHMT1 C1420T are all not found.

Valentijn

@christensencam - If you ordered your test very recently, it's possible you were tested using the new chip. It tests for about 600,000 SNPs instead of the 960,000 on the V3 chip. Hence it's likely that those SNPs weren't tested at all for you.

Stewart

@christensencam,

I got my 23andme results last week, and the same SNPs were missing from my geneticgenie result. Valentijn's conclusion - that 23andme have stopped testing those SNPs - seems to be correct.

Valentijn

The good news is that several of the SNPs tested by Yasko are redundant, hence if +/+ for that SNP, you'll be +/+ for another SNP on the same gene which is tested by 23andMe. Some of those SNPs that are missing are redundant or not known to be relevant to gene functioning. BHMT-04 is irrelevant, as is AHCY-02 and CBS N212N. MTRR R415T is the same as rs2287779 : "A" would be associated the risk allele.

SHMT1 C1420T does have a small impact when combined with mutations on MTHFR, and none of the SHMT1 SNPs now tested look like they are similar. MTRR H595Y also doesn't seem to have any identical SNPs on MTRR.