• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Googling "myalgic encephalomyelitis"

soti

I haven't seen a thread on this before, but Google now has a sidebar when you google a health issue. The one for "myalgic encephalomyelitis" points to "chronic fatigue syndrome" and is as follows:

A disease characterized by profound fatigue, sleep abnormalities, pain, and other symptoms that are made worse by exertion.

Common

More than 200,000 US cases per year

Can't be cured, but treatment may help

Chronic: can last for years or be lifelong

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging always required

Chronic fatigue syndrome occurs more commonly in women. The cause of this condition is unknown, but may include environmental or genetic factors.

The main symptom is fatigue for over six months. The fatigue often worsens with activity, but doesn't improve with rest.

Treatments include graded exercise therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy. Other medications or therapies may provide symptom relief.

They list the Mayo Clinic as their source, so maybe improving the Mayo Clinic information (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...out-of-webmd-and-healthday.44109/#post-716504) would improve this. But they have a thing to click on to provide feedback! Shall we?

taniaaust1

Im not getting that when I goggle. this is what i get when I goggle

for chronic fatigue syndrome
chronic fatigue syndrome
noun
  1. a medical condition of unknown cause, with fever, aching, and prolonged tiredness and depression, typically occurring after a viral infection."
at least they dont have the "tiredness" put first, pity it has depression there, it makes it sound like everyone with it has depression too.

for myalgic encephalomyelitis

Myalgic encephalomyelitis
(ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), is an illness that affects a person's nervous system (commonly called a 'neurological illness').

for ME/CFS

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), also known chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS), is a complex and debilitating chronic disease with a serious impact on one's quality of life.

for CFIDS
Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction (CFIDS) is also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). CFIDS is a disabling condition often affecting the central nervous system, brain, blood, muscles, joints, GI tract and lymph system.

I just get the above in a box at top and not in side bar with using google search

mango

Googling "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis" is giving me this:
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) is a chronic degenerative neuro-immune disease described in medical literature as early as 1935. A child or adult with ME has serious immune and cardiovascular abnormalities, with resulting serious CNS (central nervous system) consequences due to brain injury.
National Alliance for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
www.name-us.org/

And at the very top of the list of search results is an ad for OMF :)

omf%20ad_zpshi2p2486.png

I visited both these websites several times over the last couple of days, so I suspect it's personalized content rather than based on just what country you're in. (I'm in Sweden.)

alex3619

I wonder if Google uses your own search history to create a list. Oh dear, might have to try that, I am always Googling "psychobabble".

PS I got this for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

1. Do You Have CFS? - Common signs and a simple quiz - solvecfs.org‎
    Adwww.solvecfs.org/‎The Quiz
  2. Resources
  3. SolveCFS

Search Results
chronic fatigue syndrome
noun
  1. a medical condition of unknown cause, with fever, aching, and prolonged tiredness and depression, typically occurring after a viral infection.

For Myalgic Encephalomyelitis I got this:

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), is an illness that affects a person's nervous system (commonly called a 'neurological illness').
Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS ...
UrlAdvisorSuspiciousImage.png

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/.../chronic-fatigue-syndrome-cfs

The Victorian government link is interesting because it states that only 25% of patients are still able to work. They do however conflate CFS with ME. It seems to have been written by Emerge, or with their cooperation, which is our Victorian/Australian advocacy group.

Last edited: