• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'Good' vs. 'bad' energy increase from supps?

NilaJones

Do you feel like some supplements give you an energy increase that is good for you, and others give an energy increase that is bad for you? Or am I the only one who experiences it this way? :).

For me, the good kind of increase is one where if I take the supplement everyday for a couple of weeks and then stop taking it, I don't get a crash. I get a gradual decrease in energy, down to the point that I was at before I started the supplement, but I don't get worse than that.

The bad kind of energy, in my way of thinking, is the kind where I crash when I stop taking the supplement. I feel like that means the supplement isn't actually helping me, but is giving me a sort of artificial high.

But is this even true? I mean, it's basically something I made up. I would really like to hear how other people conceptualize this stuff.

panckage

If the "bad kind of energy" is a supplement helping you (eg. stimulant) that causes you to overextert and leads to PEM/crashing I would say your experience is completely normal Nila

Another possibility is what you are describing might be your body experiencing withdrawal upon cessation

Pink

I either just get nauseous from vitamins or I get restless, so I consider that a bad sort of energy. I don't have real energy, I just get ansty, restless and feel like I need to move to burn it off but then I'm left sicker.

pamojja

Do you feel like some supplements give you an energy increase that is good for you, and others give an energy increase that is bad for you? Or am I the only one who experiences it this way? :).

Not many supplements give me energy. Some taken at the right time make me sleepy. Some take away certain pains, rhinitis, some make my hair fuller, some in my case seem to work better than any suncream, some improve liver enzymes or kidney function markers, or blood glucose, triglicerides, etc. etc...

However all supplements stop to work each way once quit, sooner or later. Don't consider that dependence to nutrients any bad, like our dependence on food, water, air. Nutrients work (or don't) by being utilized in metabolic pathways. Once you quit they impossibly can to that work. Because of our dependence on them they can't automatically considered 'bad'. Or any food, water, air or friend would be bad.