May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Good Folic Acid Free B Complex?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Gyre, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Gyre

Gyre

New Zealand
    Does anyone have suggestions for good folic acid-free B complex options? I've tried picking through the forums, but haven't had any luck with my foggy head.

I've recently started on Fredd's protocol and was taking separate Bs instead of a complex as I'm A1298c +- , but further reading suggests the dosages of the separate Bs much be creating too much need for K.

I haven't started LCF yet. I've on Methyl B12 and folate for a few weeks with some increased energy. Started adb12 yesterday to massive headache and anxiety. I'm planning on ordering in some Liquid LCF, given my tendency to anxiety and if possible I'd like to get an appropriate B-complex at the same time.

I live in NZ and supplement prices are outrageous locally, so I order in from VitaCost or iHerb. That helps, but I still have to pony up for international shipping.

Thanks,
    Gyre

2. Viking

Viking

Remember that gut bacteria are major producers of B vitamins... they will contribute substantially to B vitamin status if your gut ecology is healthy. Dr Campbell Mcbride speaks on this point a lot, basically saying without good gut bacteria, B complex is always an issue.

CFS_for_19_years likes this.
  3. Gyre

Gyre

New Zealand
    Thanks. I've been Primal and having all the recommended fermented foods, gelatin, probiotics etc for more than a year now. I'm simply trying to find an appropriate supp in line with Fredd's protocol that will work with my SNPs.

4. Mary

Mary Forum Support Assistant

Southern California
    Douglas Lab makes a good one: http://www.iherb.com/douglas-laboratories-b-complex-60-veggie-caps/37247
    and here's another one from Pure Encapsulations: http://www.iherb.com/Pure-Encapsula...psules/51822?gclid=CP_czZTCmcICFRBgfgodaQgAjg
    And Swanson Vitamins makes one too: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps

It is unfortunate that more companies are not doing this, but it's a beginning.

What is LCF? I'm pretty familiar with Freddd's protocol but don't recognize that acronym -

Tunguska likes this.
  5. Gyre

Gyre

New Zealand
    Thanks @Mary . Those are very helpful. I'm inclined to go with the one with the least niacin, but I'll ponder a bit.

LCF is l-carnitine fumarate.

6. skwag

skwag Senior Member

Nature Made B-Complex with Vitamin C is a nice cheap low dose B-complex without any type of folate. Just take folate seperately ( maybe P5P too ). Freddd suggested this about a year ago and I have been using it since. Just make sure you don't order the Super B-complex since that one contains folic acid.

sueami likes this.
  7. Gyre

Gyre

New Zealand
    Gotta say, I love the price on those @skwag Thanks!

8. sueami

sueami Senior Member

Front Range Colorado
    I take Freddd's Nature Made B-Complex with vit C as well. One morning and one night.

9. Gyre

Gyre

New Zealand
    Thanks everyone. I've ordered some of the Nature Made B-Complex with C. Should get it in a week or so.

10. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

B Right by Jarrow seems to be a good comprehensive b complex and has active folate.

11. Gyre

Gyre

New Zealand
    Unfortunately, Jarrow B-Right also has folic acid which is a no-no for those of us with MTHFR SNPs.

12. maddietod

maddietod Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I take Thorne's Basic B Complex.

13. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

Says folic acid and methylfolate. Why would they include the non active? Wonder if it's a misunderstanding.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/57/B-Right

14. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Folic acid is much cheaper. Since they don't specify the amount of each, I assume it's 99% folic acid, and they just add a token amount of the active form so they can put it on the label.

My MTHFR gene is quite normal, so I take it anyhow. But I wouldn't recommend it for people with a reduction in MTHFR function.

Gyre and fibrodude84 like this.
  15. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

I split some Doctor's Best B complex capsules which has quatrefolic, but the Douglas Labs linked by Mary is starting to look better to me.

Importing from iHerb was a massive pain with a huge surcharge from the carrier, never again.

See more popular forum discussions.