• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good energy versus bad energy

hixxy

Thanks Valentijn. I actually started typing a reply hours ago, but was having a bad cognitive period and couldn't seem to explain myself properly, so I just axed the message. You explained it well! :)

hixxy

What I'd like to know is why some of us can't maintain health glutamate levels. What has happened to our glutamate conversion enzymes?! Where is it all coming from?

Valentijn

What I'd like to know is why some of us can't maintain health glutamate levels. What has happened to our glutamate conversion enzymes?! Where is it all coming from?

It's likely that glutamate is being appropriately converted into GABA. My GABA levels were completely normal. But if cysteine is low, then glutamate might not be creating as much glutathione as it would like to be. So while some glutamate meets its destiny by becoming GABA, some of the glutamate that should become glutathione is stuck being glutamate. So the real problem is low cysteine, not high glutamate.

But once glutamate is high, it can keep cysteine levels low by taking priority in using the transport system used for both cysteine and glutamate. So it's something of a circular issue. Depleting glutathione can also deplete cysteine (which tends to be the limiting factor in creating glutathione anyhow), so it's possible that a mild genetic issue of low cysteine production becomes a serious problem when exposure to toxins/infection drains glutathione.

xchocoholic

Hi .. Maybe it's just me but because of all the possible enzymes, peptides, aminos and nutrients that have to be available at the exact same time, I don't think we know enough about these chemicals to know how they work.

And then there's the cross reaction because proteins look alike.

Fwiw, I noticed a few years ago that everytime I started tracking down chemicals like neurotransmitters, the origin was dietary. I only spent a minute looking it up but I read that glycine is an amino acid derived from foods or serine. If you google glycine foods you'll find the lists.

I looked at glutamates years ago and I only react to gluten as an excitotoxin, not the others. I react to caffeine and 3 supplements, mb12, adb12 and p5p that way too. The supplement reaction could be due to the dyes. I'm just as calm as can be if I stay away from these. However, my oi rattles my adrenals and shuts off my brain when I'm uoright so i'm not sure most people can tell.

I appear to have found a good energy source. : ) . I just started juicing last month but i've been taking b6 for 3 - 4 months. It turns out that the combo of juicing and b6 gives me a a natural feeling energy boost. I'm still playing with this but at this point it seems that if I use the energy I can sleep at night but if I don't use it, I can't.

I can only assume there's something in the juice that my body needed to process the b6.

Tc .. X

xchocoholic

It looks like juicing is now a bad energy source for me. I can't seem to win this battle ...

Juicing plus B6 was a miracle energy cure for me for a few weeks ...

Then I started getting horrible insomnia due to nocturnal myoclonus when I was taking 250 mg B6 and juicing. So I decreased the B6 and continued to juice and it worked for awhile. Then I had to stop the B6 totally because it started again.

I slept great for a few days. Then it came back so I tried my usual 1.5 - 9 mg melatonin, 100 - 300 mg theanine and 100 - 300 mg 5htp and it worked for awhile but that stopped working too. I was shocked because this has been working for 3 years now ...

I actually had to take klonopin for sleep again for the first time in 6 years. The klonopin works becuase my body jerks me awake when i try to go into rem. aka nocturnal myoclonus.

So today I'm off juicing so I can get some rest. It's not giving me the energy I felt while taking B6 but I still think I need the nurtrients because I'm a celiac and I got a reaction from it. I still need to experiment to see if it's just one ingredient in my juice that is bothering me.

BTW ... I was thinking about suppressing our parasympathetic systems and was thinking that would only be a good idea if we wanted to be knocked out cold. lol ... This is an interesting way to divide how our nervous systems works but our bodies don't normally work that way. We don't relax our whole bodies at once ... otherwise we couldn't rest and eat at the same time. We couldn't drive a car, etc etc ... Did I get this right ?

tc ... x

PS. I read that the chemicals that affect our neurotransmitters and recepors aren't as easily defined as some think. The receptors can accept chemicals thinking it's a different chemical. The easiest way for me to explain this is to look at the first generation of allgergy meds. These don't target just one receptor so they make us sleepy. The newer ones are supposed to target only certain receptors but it doesn't work that way for everyone. That's why zyrtec ect can make us sleepy when the label says it won't ..

Um and then there's the fact that certain foods affect these too because of the same reason ... gluten and dairy are known to act as opiods but the list goes on. This is the reasoning for the Paleo / hunter gatherer diet.

hixxy

You're certainly not the only person to have neurological problem with high doses of B6. I'm still regretting high dose B6 2 1/2 years later.

xchocoholic

You're certainly not the only person to have neurological problem with high doses of B6. I'm still regretting high dose B6 2 1/2 years later.

Thanks for reminding me that we can have neuro reactions to nutrients. I stopped the b6 but then the juice started nailing me too.

Now to look at what I can juice without getting this. I'm fairly certain juicing is good for me / us ?

Tc .. X

hixxy

You're reacting to the juices now too? Maybe salicylates? I tried juicing about 2 or so years ago and it was horrible. I didn't know I had a really strong salicylate sensitivity then tho.

xchocoholic

You're reacting to the juices now too? Maybe salicylates? I tried juicing about 2 or so years ago and it was horrible. I didn't know I had a really strong salicylate sensitivity then tho.

Hi hixxy,

I definitely was reacting to juicing. I've been off of it for 2 -3 days and I'm sleeping great again.

I "think" it started out helping my body process b6 into p5p because
I got soooo much energy and feeling of wellness just like I did with p5p. And like p5p, mb12, adb12 the nutrients, or whatever ?, proved to be too much for me.

It's interesting to me that these nutrients make me feel healthy for awhile and then it just stops. I wonder if my up regulated immune system starts creating antibodies to these after awhile.

fwiw this may be what some call a herx reaction but
I'm not willing to take klonopin so I can sleep if eliminating the source of the insomnia solves it. Having a 2 hour seizure where my lungs stopped working sporadically was too scarey for me to risk it happening again.

I'll just juice less often or juice different fruits and veggies.

My reactions make it difficult to determine what's a good energy booster and what's not.

I think I'm good with sals but thanks. I have problems with other food categories, oxalates, so I get this.

Tc .. X