• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GMC suspends Nigel Speight

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I for one don't want to just sit here and do nothing. But just what we can do in this situation is unclear.

I'm sure everyone shares your frustration - but @charles shepherd is clearly on the case, organising support for Dr Speight. I'm confident that if he sees a way that patients can help - and, importantly, do so without making things worse - he'll let us know. :)

I think we've got to be a bit patient, hard as it is.

Invisible Woman

This is all going to take (lots of) time. In the meantime at least Dr Speight knows how highly regarded he is among the patient community and that we are all just standing by ready to do what we can to help & support him, once he or Dr Shepherd lets us know what that is.

Hip

@Sasha
I am sure that @charles shepherd will do a great job organizing support for Dr Speight.

But this is now the second time (that I am aware) that the GMC have adjudicated against a doctor who treats ME/CFS patients biomedically. The first case being Dr Myhill. There may be other cases too, but I am only aware of these two.

So my gripe is also with GMC, and the way they apparently support quacks plying dubious psychological and exercise treatments for ME/CFS over sensible doctors who take a biomedical view.

Invisible Woman

I don't think they have adjudicated against him, yet. The suspension is for the period between now and the actual GMC case. Perhaps being seen to do what they think is the right thing ...

I share your frustrations @Hip. I know Esther Crawley has had complaints made against her but I don't know if she was suspended while the GMC did their thing.

Found this:
https://frownatsmile.wordpress.com/2011/07/31/gmc-complaint-dr-esther-crawley/

Hip

@Invisible Woman
According to this article on the MEAction website:
This article previously reported that the limits started after a complaint from Esther Crawley, medical advisor to the Association of Young People with ME. This was in error – we do not know how the complaint was initiated.

So I guess she may have nothing directly to do with the initiation of the GMC complaint.

user9876

I don't think they have adjudicated against him, yet. The suspension is for the period between now and the actual GMC case. Perhaps being seen to do what they think is the right thing ...

I'm not sure I understand what is happening but their process seems slow if it will take that time for a full hearing. But maybe that is a maximum time? Or maybe the slowness is modeled on the time it takes to get a diagnosis from a GP.

Invisible Woman

@Invisible Woman
According to this article on the MEAction website:

So I guess she may have nothing directly to do with the initiation of the GMC complaint.

I think we just have to accept that we don't (and won't) know all the details for quite some time to come. I did not mean to imply that it was Esther Crawley who made the complaint - I was saying that I know she has also had complaints made against her, but I do not know if she was suspended/restricted in any way while she was investigated.

Invisible Woman

I'm not sure I understand what is happening but their process seems slow if it will take that time for a full hearing. But maybe that is a maximum time? Or maybe the slowness is modeled on the time it takes to get a diagnosis from a GP.

I have no idea how long these things usually take. But I do know it is going to be very hard on the people he helps to lose him for so long.

Hip

This is a good article and interview with Dr Speight, and the kind of psychobabble he regularly comes face to face with:
Dr. Speight has been involved in 30 cases in which children with ME have either been forcibly removed from their homes, or threatened with sectioning. In all of these cases, the children - or their mothers - were given a psychiatric diagnosis that replaced their diagnosis of ME.

How did this come about?

According to Dr. Speight, "Once someone pulls the trigger to set child protection proceedings in motion it is like a juggernaut ... it is very difficult to reverse. The further the proceedings go the more the professionals dig in. They cannot afford to lose face, or admit they were wrong. There is an almost sadistic element in the worst cases."

Dr. Speight presents horrifying cases in which parents who resist the psychiatric diagnosis have their children taken from them out of "revenge." Once children are placed in a mental ward, parents may be prohibited from visiting them, increasing the despair, and also worsening the physical condition, of these seriously ill children.

Obviously when you are dealing as Dr Speight regularly does with psychologists or psychiatrists whose egos are more important to them than their patients, and who are revengeful and even sadistic, you run the risk of having those psychiatrists turn against you. This is my own opinion, but I would not be surprised if Dr Speight himself has now become the victim of some spiteful, revengeful and sadistic group of psychiatrists.

Yogi

This is shocking. First they smear patients and now they come after our caring doctors.

This is an act of WAR by the Biopsychosocial cult.

This is the culprit here who has initiated and orchestrated this campaign of harassment of Dr Speight.

news-Esther-Crawley.jpg

images

She has previously with the help of the Science Media Centre complained about patients harassment campaigns against her BPS CBT/GET cult.

"Under their heading 'Harassment' (of researchers) they list:
* Freedom of Information Requests
* Complaints to the GMC and various institutions
* Parliamentary Questions"

https://www.facebook.com/tymestrust/posts/1494167207535083

And here we see yet again this BPS cult are the ones guilty of harassment campaigns.

She is also the chair of the Bogus CFS/ME Research Collabrative which holds its annual meeting on Wednesday.

The PACE trial for children called MAGENTA is being run by her and is starting now. What is being done here is any medical opposition to this trial is being swept aside.

We are succeeding with highlighting the probs with the PACE trial and we can expect this type of campaign to increase as we are at the last stage.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited:

Chrisb

The deep irony on offer here is that not long ago the mantra for reform of health services was "patient choice". It may be that if you don't like those the patients are choosing a different part of the armoury has to be deployed.

It may be just unfortunate coincidence for the GMC that this case comes so soon after that of Dr Waney Squire. Those inclined to see patterns of behaviour might think there is more to it.

Both, by their application of what we would regard as a proper scientific approach, put at risk cases which some within government departments would want to see won. In the Squire case it seems to be the Ministry of Justice (s. In the Speight case there are many with a possible interest. In Squire some judges appear to have been quite open about their perception that she was undermining prosecutions by pointing out the reasonable doubts.

I may be quite wrong, but it does appear that there is a move afoot to prevent scientific debates from being settled by judges and, God forbid, juries. To prevent this the dissenting voices are being taken out by the GMC. It is not clear on what basis the GMC is thought to be a source of greater scientific wisdom.

Here is a relevant quote from wiki regarding a case that was previously before the courts and which does not instil confidence in the process:

In March 2012, the High Court of England and Wales overturned a 2010 decision by the GMC to strike pediatric gastroenterologist John Walker-Smith off the medical register for serious professional misconduct.[58] In his ruling, the presiding judge criticized what he said were the GMC's "inadequate and superficial reasoning and, in a number of instances, a wrong conclusion," and stated, "It would be a misfortune if this were to happen again."[59]

For an adversarial legal system to work one side cannot be allowed to select the witnesses for both.

ukxmrv

@Sasha
I am sure that @charles shepherd will do a great job organizing support for Dr Speight.

But this is now the second time (that I am aware) that the GMC have adjudicated against a doctor who treats ME/CFS patients biomedically. The first case being Dr Myhill. There may be other cases too, but I am only aware of these two.

So my gripe is also with GMC, and the way they apparently support quacks plying dubious psychological and exercise treatments for ME/CFS over sensible doctors who take a biomedical view.

Dr Hyams
Dr Andy Wright

other older ME doctors gave up as they became scared of the GMC. There has been a general fear of the GMC and another type of purge where doctors were driven out of hospitals and lost their clinics. My doctor gave in and accepted early retirement as he saw the writing on the wall.

Chrisb

I found this letter from the GMC in response to a freedom of information request interesting regarding the appointment of one Penny Mellor in particular the third paragraph, but I include the whole letter. Some days the GMC is free to preach one thing, other days free to practise another.

Our ref: F10/3190/JM

Dear Mr Thackeray,

I refer to your email dated 9 August 2010 in which you made a number of
Freedom of Information requests in connection with the appointment of Ms
Penny Mellor to the Working Group on Child Protection.

I confirm that your requests have now been considered in accordance with
the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA). I apologise for the delay in
providing you with a response.

The selection of Penny Mellor to the Child Protection Working Group was
made in order to ensure that the Working Group represented the full range
of parents' views across the spectrum. In order to produce guidance that
will secure broad professional and public acceptance and credibility, it
is important for the Working Group to embrace an array of different views
sourced from diverse individuals, groups and interests. This could mean
the inclusions of campaigners and critics of the GMC whether they be
paediatricians or even vociferous and outspoken critics such as Penny
Mellor. We understand that others take a different view, and we respect
their right to comment and criticise our decision.

The guidance the group recommends to Council will be the result of the
collective views of the group, based on the experience, evidence and
comments obtained from our call for evidence, other engagement and,
following publication of draft guidance, a full public consultation. No
individual's view will be dominant or determine the style, tone or content
of the guidance.

Given the nature of the group and each member's role on it, as outlined
above, the members have not been asked to provide a declaration of
interests. Therefore in accordance with Section 1(1)(a) of the FOIA I
confirm that the GMC does not hold the information you have requested.

You also request details of all complaints against doctors made by Ms
Mellor to the GMC. We believe this information is subject to exemptions
listed in the FOIA and in accordance with the requirements of the FOIA
this email acts as a refusal notice in respect to your request for this
information. The exemptions we believe apply are:

Section 40(2) by virtue of Section 40(3)(a)(i) - Personal Information.
This relates to information requested which is about a third party, and
the disclosure of which would be in breach of the Principles of the Data
Protection Act 1998 (DPA). In this instance we consider that the
disclosure of this type of information would breach the First Principle,
which requires that the processing of data is fair and lawful. We consider
that the conditions in Schedule 2 of the DPA, relating the processing of
personal data, are not met and therefore the release of the information
you have requested would be unlawful.

Section 31(1)(g) of the FOIA - Law Enforcement. This relates to situations
where the disclosure of information, would, or would be likely to,
prejudice our regulatory function. We believe that the disclosure of this
information would be likely to have an adverse impact on our fitness to
practise function by discouraging individuals from raising their concerns,
in the knowledge that details of this nature may be made publicly
available. This exemption is subject to a public interest test. In this
instance we believe that the public interest in maintaining the exemption,
and ensuring that any concerns held by any person are raised for our
consideration, outweighs the public interest in disclosure.

Section 41 of the FOIA - Information provided in confidence. This applies
to information obtained by a public authority from any other person, the
disclosure of which would constitute an actionable breach of confidence.
We believe that this is reasonable to complainants to expect the details
of their complaints to be confidential until such time as they are placed
in the public domain, with the consent of the complainant, at a public
fitness to practise hearing. This exemption is absolute, which means that
it is not subject to a public interest test.

Finally, in reply to your email sent 11 August 2010, I confirm the
individuals ultimately responsible for the appointment of Penny Mellor to
the Child Protection Working Group were Niall Dickson, Chief Executive of
the GMC and Professor Sir Peter Rubin, Chair of the GMC.

You have the right of appeal against the refusal aspects of this response.
If you wish to appeal, please set out your ground in writing and send to
Julian Graves, Information Access Manager, at the address below, or email
[email address]

You also have the right of appeal to the Information Commissioner, the
independent regulator of the FOIA. If necessary, Mr Graves will provide
the relevant contact details.

Yours sincerely

Janet Mauldridge

Information Access Team Administrator

0161 923 6324

Hip

Dr Hyams
Dr Andy Wright

other older ME doctors gave up as they became scared of the GMC. There has been a general fear of the GMC and another type of purge where doctors were driven out of hospitals and lost their clinics. My doctor gave in and accepted early retirement as he saw the writing on the wall.

The story of the GMC's ruling against Dr Andy Wright in 2011 is here:

GMC rules against Dr Andrew Wright, of Bolton, British Medical Journal, 8 November 2011

The NHS in general provides f..k all in terms of biomedical treatment for ME/CFS patients, and are highly negligent on this count. Yet when an individual GP tries to do something helpful for ME/CFS, even if they are just tinkering around with a few speculative treatments, the GMC pull them up. What the f..k is that.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
This is the culprit here who has initiated and orchestrated this campaign of harassment of Dr Speight.
Do you know this to be true? Can you provide proof?

When this person's name came up earlier in the thread, I searched for evidence but could find nothing except a statement [without a citation!!] on MEpedia. That statement has since been removed and #MEAction also amended their article when they realised that there was, in fact, no evidence.

Yogi

There is evidence but it is currently preferred that it is not detailed in public. However it is important that the campaign of harassment for the complaint to the GMC by Esther Crawley is not completely ignored and covered up but recognised.