• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glycine: cause weight gain? increase norepinephrine?

ebethc

Hi,

Glycine was low on my nutreval test and I found that I feel good when I take it.. Helps me sleep really well, which is always a good thing..

I saw that it can cause weight gain on another forum BUT wasn't able to find anything that really substantiates this anywhere else... Anyone here have any feedback on glycine re weight gain / loss? I know it's a sugar..

Also - I would like to naturally increase norepinephrine.. Will glycine help? How else can I raise norepinephrine naturally for better concentration?

thanks.

adreno

PR activist
I doubt glycine will increase norepinephrine. It is normally an inhibitory neurotransmitter. I would try TMG.

ebethc

I doubt glycine will increase norepinephrine. It is normally an inhibitory neurotransmitter. I would try TMG.

I wish I understood that pathway better; there's something about Glycine / DMG / TMG / SAM-e that is on the right track. However, each of those supplements works from time to time, but none are consistent. SAM-e has been a huge help, then it "poops out".. I think I have a hard time breaking down some chemicals, so the I get good results when the depleted chemicals are filled, then when they can't be broken down, I feel bad again... Is there another complementary supplement that I can take w TMG (which also helps) and/or SAM-e? Should I take BOTH TMG and SAM-e?

thanks

Last edited:

helios

I have taken Glycine on and off over a few years and it did not cause weight gain in me, though its pretty hard for me to get weight gain. I took it for its HGH boosting effect, which if anything would lower fat levels. I would take > 5gm in water before bedtime, and away for any food. Sometimes mixed with Lysine or GABA. I would get a better nights sleep as a result. It would also boost my libido and maybe my testosterone levels as well, as my morning erections would be much more pronounced than normal, but in terms of any noticeable effect in that regard during the day, no. A better deeper nights sleep though always flows through to a better quality day..