• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gluten-free diet helps people with diarrhoeal IBS

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Just found this May study that ties in with leaky-gut theory of ME. Although it doesn't refer to ME, IBS co-occurs very commonly with ME, and the leaky-gut theory holds that treating the leaky gut could fix the ME and other auto-immune conditions:

A controlled trial of gluten-free diet in patients with irritable bowel syndrome-diarrhea: effects on bowel frequency and intestinal function.

Vazquez-Roque MI, Camilleri M, Smyrk T, Murray JA, Marietta E, O'Neill J, Carlson P, Lamsam J, Janzow D, Eckert D, Burton D, Zinsmeister AR.
Source

Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA.
Abstract

BACKGROUND & AIMS:

Patients with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-D) could benefit from a gluten-free diet (GFD).
METHODS:

We performed a randomized controlled 4-week trial of a gluten-containing diet (GCD) or GFD in 45 patients with IBS-D; genotype analysis was performed for HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8. Twenty-two patients were placed on the GCD (11 HLA-DQ2/8 negative and 11 HLA-DQ2/8 positive) and 23 patients were placed on the GFD (12 HLA-DQ2/8 negative and 11 HLA-DQ2/8 positive). We measured bowel function daily, small-bowel (SB) and colonic transit, mucosal permeability (by lactulose and mannitol excretion), and cytokine production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells after exposure to gluten and rice. We collected rectosigmoid biopsy specimens from 28 patients, analyzed levels of messenger RNAs encoding tight junction proteins, and performed H&E staining and immunohistochemical analyses. Analysis of covariance models was used to compare data from the GCD and GFD groups.
RESULTS:

Subjects on the GCD had more bowel movements per day (P = .04); the GCD had a greater effect on bowel movements per day of HLA-DQ2/8-positive than HLA-DQ2/8-negative patients (P = .019). The GCD was associated with higher SB permeability (based on 0-2 h levels of mannitol and the lactulose:mannitol ratio); SB permeability was greater in HLA-DQ2/8-positive than HLA-DQ2/8-negative patients (P = .018). No significant differences in colonic permeability were observed. Patients on the GCD had a small decrease in expression of zonula occludens 1 in SB mucosa and significant decreases in expression of zonula occludens 1, claudin-1, and occludin in rectosigmoid mucosa; the effects of the GCD on expression were significantly greater in HLA-DQ2/8-positive patients. The GCD vs the GFD had no significant effects on transit or histology. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells produced higher levels of interleukin-10, granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, and transforming growth factor-α in response to gluten than rice (unrelated to HLA genotype).
CONCLUSIONS:

Gluten alters bowel barrier functions in patients with IBS-D, particularly in HLA-DQ2/8-positive patients. These findings reveal a reversible mechanism for the disorder. Clinical trials.govNCT01094041.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357715

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
and more info! I didn't know what HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 were so did a bit of searching. For those who don't know, they are genes associated with coeliac disease. According to this page:

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/healthcar...tters/july-hcp-exg/the-spectrum-of-coeliac-di

The identification of two human leukocyte antigen molecules in people with coeliac disease, HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8, provides further information on who may develop coeliac disease. About 90% of individuals with coeliac disease will carry the DQ2 gene and most of the remaining individuals will carry the DQ8 gene. These HLA genes are associated with approximately 40% of the heritable risk of developing coeliac disease.