• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamine creating severe Brain fog

Hello all,
I used Glutamine ( 2500mg twice a day) for about 8 days to help with bowel repair after a parasite infection, and developed severe brain fog. It has persisted for weeks even after discontinuing.
I have a number of methylation snps that I suspect may be related, but am not sure. (CBS699 + - and a number of BHMT++ snps)

Has anyone else experienced this or found a way to resolve it?

Regards,
Viking

Maybe the dose was too high? I hope you feel better soon! :( I had brain fog due to the same dose of Nac but it cleared up after a while...I know it's not the same thing though.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hello all,
I used Glutamine ( 2500mg twice a day) for about 8 days to help with bowel repair after a parasite infection, and developed severe brain fog. It has persisted for weeks even after discontinuing.
I have a number of methylation snps that I suspect may be related, but am not sure. (CBS699 + - and a number of BHMT++ snps)

Has anyone else experienced this or found a way to resolve it?

Regards,
Viking

Glutamine (and other things) caused a detox reaction for me, which I associated with mercury. It made me spacey, had difficulty concentrating, tired, etc. It is used in Phase II liver detoxification. My symptoms went away when I cut my dose, but I didn't take as much as you - I was taking 1000 mg. a day. I don't know if this is what you are going through. It also is possible that the NAC reaction Livingwithfibro had was also due to mercury toxicity.

Here's a good article about supplements which are needed for Phase I and II liver detox:
http://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/liver-detoxification-phase-II-support.html

Almost anything involved in liver detoxification initially caused a detox reaction for me. I eventually became able to tolerate glutamine (as well as glycine and inositol), it seemed somehow I got rid of my mercury burden.

But I don't know if mercury toxicity has anything to do with your brain fog - I hope you get some answers!

Glutamine (and other things) caused a detox reaction for me, which I associated with mercury. It made me spacey, had difficulty concentrating, tired, etc. It is used in Phase II liver detoxification. My symptoms went away when I cut my dose, but I didn't take as much as you - I was taking 1000 mg. a day. I don't know if this is what you are going through. It also is possible that the NAC reaction Livingwithfibro had was also due to mercury toxicity.

Here's a good article about supplements which are needed for Phase I and II liver detox:
http://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/liver-detoxification-phase-II-support.html

Almost anything involved in liver detoxification initially caused a detox reaction for me. I eventually became able to tolerate glutamine (as well as glycine and inositol), it seemed somehow I got rid of my mercury burden.

But I don't know if mercury toxicity has anything to do with your brain fog - I hope you get some answers!

I don't have mercury issues, well, none that I know of but I am going to take ALA frequently at a low dose every 3 hours and see if the brain fog issue clears up. If not then it's due to something else I guess. It doesn't happen on 600-1800 mg of NAC but on 2400 mg.