• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamic acid in protein powder: I feel better, so is it actually bad for us?

I guess this question goes here? I need help figuring this out so I'm hoping someone here already has:

What's the deal with glutamic acid in protein powders? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information, the most severe of which was Cort's blog post about elevated levels of glutamic acid in ME, CFS, and FM patients as well as a sensitivity to it in people living with ALS. Then I see others saying it's fine as long as it's from natural sources that didn't use heat, and it's only the free glutamic acid that's detrimental. I don't know anymore.

I've been using this organic product for over two months:

http://www.plantfusion.net/products/organic-plant-protein

and to my current awareness, it helps, and is one of the best on the market; sugar free by way of stevia, doesn't contain heavy metals, plant based only, no GMOs, fair trade chocolate, etc... But now I'm worried it may make me worse over time, because the glutamic acid levels are 3g/serving (I take half a serving, nightly before sleep), sort of like a standard multivitamin might make someone with MTHFR etc. better temporarily then it all comes crashing down. Cort's post has really worried me.

Is glutamic acid bad for us? I have several homozygous mutations including MTHFR, two types of COMT, and MAO.

Kit

SOC

Is glutamic acid bad for us?
There is so much variety in ME/CFS it's nearly impossible to say any one thing, other than aerobic exercise, is bad for us as an entire group. Since it's quite possible that there are currently multiple conditions under the heading ME/CFS, it's not surprising that a supplement that makes some of us feel better can be bad for others of us.

Until there is a lot more research... and that's won't be for another 20+ years... we are stuck experimenting. That means taking risks that supplements that may be helping are actually harmful in the long run in ways we can't perceive. That's life with ME. There are very few clear answers.

There seem to be two general paths patients take in this situation. One group chooses not to take anything on the grounds that there's no solid evidence that any product helps and it might ultimately prove harmful.

The other group chooses to try products that they feel might help and if they feel better they decide it's worth the future risk to feel better now.

Neither path is The Correct Path. It's a matter of personality. Some people are huge risk-takers, others are risk-adverse. It helps to know where you fall on that spectrum so you can make decisions you can be at peace with.

If you want guarantees of safety, I'd guess you're more on the risk-adverse side of the spectrum and will probably be happier not taking any supplements you have doubts about.