• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamate in food

I have had very severe reactions to even small amounts of dietary glutamate. ( intense brain fog, extremely overexcited , nervous). The worst was after taking a few doses of L Glutamine supplement, but I've also seen severe reactions from cabbage juice, and bone broth.
I eat a lot of walnuts, which I now understand are pretty high in free glutamate as well. Has anyone else had reactions from glutamate rich foods?
Regards,
Viking

History - Severe MCS following gut and parasite issues.

BFG

Yes I am very sensitive to many things in foods especially the aspartic acid, cysteine, GLUTAMIC ACID, salicylates.

I can no longer tolerate any meats or foods with protein content, even vegetable sources like peas(but not as bad as the meat sources). If I eat foods high in protein It will trigger an increase in my anxiety, disorientation, ear ringing, migraines(which is the worst), nerve pains, brain fog.
I useed to be able to tolerate chicken and eggs, but now it has the same effect on me as red meat.

Boiling meats/bones will make the amino acids become free so will be unbound, which is like drinking msg. I used to drink bone broth to stop my diarrhea but no longer.

I also very sensitive to certain foods like kale, radishes, cucumber, brussel sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower- these all trigger migraines, neuropathy,symptoms similar to when I eat proteins. I used to think was due to the thiols or something in the brassica family of veggies, but now im not so sure and think may be due to the Glutahione Stimulating Hormone(GSH) content. I am down to a diet of 4 foods-- white rice, baby bok choy, mustard greens, and napa cabbage.