• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

giving acetyl tyrosine a go?

Sing

heapsreal, I am taking it on an empty stomach in terms of other aminos, as far as I know, but not actually alone. I also take thyroid pills, midodrine and my morning cup of black coffee at this time. Nothing with any calories until an hour or two later.The thyroid pills are best taken on an empty stomach as well, and the midodrine takes 1 1/2 hrs to kick in so I can stand and walk enough to do anything. The coffee I probably don't need to explain! Anyway all these elements seem important to get going first thing. Otherwise, if I spread them all out, my morning pills and schedule would take "forever", and I don't like to be this dominated by pills and an intake schedule.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
heapsreal, I am taking it on an empty stomach in terms of other aminos, as far as I know, but not actually alone. I also take thyroid pills, midodrine and my morning cup of black coffee at this time. Nothing with any calories until an hour or two later.The thyroid pills are best taken on an empty stomach as well, and the midodrine takes 1 1/2 hrs to kick in so I can stand and walk enough to do anything. The coffee I probably don't need to explain! Anyway all these elements seem important to get going first thing. Otherwise, if I spread them all out, my morning pills and schedule would take "forever", and I don't like to be this dominated by pills and an intake schedule.

I wouldnt think what your taking would interfere with tyrosine, its basically other amino's and protein which interfers with it.
If your hypothyroid, it would be interesting to see what your adrenal hormones are like, dhea/cortisol/pregnenolone, if these are low then this also could reduce thyroid function etc. Just a thought? They can also effect neurotransmitters, but if u go down the dhea/preg supplement thing, start really low like 5mg ??

cheers!!!

Pea

Which is better for increasing dopamine, but NOT increasing the 'ephrines - l-tyrosine, or mucuna puriens?

heapsreal

Which is better for increasing dopamine, but NOT increasing the 'ephrines - l-tyrosine, or mucuna puriens?

I dont know, mucuna is on my list of things to try for that reason. Its hard to tell without blood tests etc I have a feeling that with me acetyl tyrosine is moving into dopamine as it has a calm but energizing effect, not that different to bupropion. The first couple of times i used it, it gave a stronger noradrenaline feel to it but as i used it more often, that feeling has changed.

Can i suggest to try mucuna and do a seperate thread so we can see how you go with it.

cheers!!!

ramakentesh

My concern with taking precursor supplements is the example of Gaba - which would in theory work to calm the mind, yet even in normal people it can cause a paradoxical increase of glutamate activity and other undesirable peripheral effects. Sometimes its not just as simple as adding the building blocks - especially when the building block in question is a precursor of a number of different neurotransmitters, some of what tend to at least appear implicated in CFS (sympathetic activation as an example).

Problem with Mucana is that it also contains another of other substances, including those structurally similar to potent indole psychedelics. If your taking something else that effects MAO you might find that it provides some pretty mind-blowing side effects LOL.

I thought Fava beans contained significant amounts of L-DOPA as well perhaps with less other substances?? Just guessing.

In POTS there may be circumstances where peripheral dopamine is indirectly effecting blood volume status.

Pea

I read something about that with GABA.

This is for my friend that I'm helping with methylation, and I finally found fava beans yesterday so he's going to try those first before the mucuna; I'll let you know.

For myself, I have low serotonin and took l-tryptophan for over a year with success, but suddenly it stopped working so I went to 5-HTP. Holistic pharmacist said precursor l-tryptophan won't work if you have inflammation in your body as it gets diverted, so maybe that happens with other precurors.

heapsreal

I read something about that with GABA.

This is for my friend that I'm helping with methylation, and I finally found fava beans yesterday so he's going to try those first before the mucuna; I'll let you know.

For myself, I have low serotonin and took l-tryptophan for over a year with success, but suddenly it stopped working so I went to 5-HTP. Holistic pharmacist said precursor l-tryptophan won't work if you have inflammation in your body as it gets diverted, so maybe that happens with other precurors.

I actually found tryptophan more effective especially for sleep, but its all trial and error. I have used gaba and found it didnt do much at all but others say it helps. I also think that with amino's it depends on how empty your stomache is, as other proteins/aminos compete with absorption into the brain where these aminos have drug like effects.

cheers!!!

hixxy

i am looking into dopa mucuna to help with increasing dopamine, but that will be further down the track in my next supplement order. I think l-dopa itself is classed as a drug here, so no chance of using it specifically.

cheers!!!

Did you end up giving dopa mucuna a go? I tried this last year and had about the same amount of success as I had with 5-HTP, couple of days of improved mood, then nothing.

heapsreal

I have only been using acetyl tyrosine on occassional basis and seems to be doing the job of giving me that bit more extra energy and motivation, and sleep doesnt seem an issue when i use it early in the morning.

Hixxy i havent tried mucuna yet, still on my too try list.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

took 2 x 350mg acetyl tyrosine this morning on an empty stomache, still giving me a nice sort of energy and mental clarity. I have been sleeping well of late and waking abit groogy/hard to get going feeling but once going im good. this morning i got going abit quicker with ac tyrosine, so it definately helping me.

cheers!!!