• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ginger Juice

My 12 year old daughter is on Buhner's antiviral protocol for EBV. One of the herbs she is supposed to be taking is juiced ginger root (2-4 oz) in 4-6 oz water with1/8 tsp cayenne, some lime and honey drunken 3-6 times a day. She typically does not give me any trouble with meds, but this is more an all day drink. She drinks about 1.5 quarts of water a day right now, she has never had soda, rarely drinks juice and does not much care for milk.

I cannot get her to drink the ginger juice fast enough through the day to reach a theraputic dose of ginger (can't say I blame her, it is rather nasty and burns my tongue a bit). I am giving her powdered ginger in a cap right now, but Buhner is adamant on this one being fresh juice rather than powder. Says the juice and the powder are absolutely not interchangeable.

I bought a machine to make home made extracts and tinctures, and I think I will simmer it down to an extract that I can put in a few capsules for her to take. Right now that is what I am doing with all her tinctures to make sure she is taking them "fast enough" to reach therapeutic doses. Has anyone tried this or have any tips to make ginger juice more palatable?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
No experience here, just a couple of thoughts.

Be sure that the heat of the simmering will not deactivate anything useful in the ginger.

If you put the cayenne in a capsule, would she drink the rest?

The ginger juice itself is spicy/hot to the taste, not just the cayenne. I have not read anywhere that heating the juice affects it one way or the other. I was worried about this as well, but I will just try it and see. The machine I bought is specifically for making tinctures and extracts, so if ginger can be heated without damage, this thing should be able to accomplish it.