• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting rid of silverfish without recourse to pesticides

sianrecovery

We live in a block of flats, and now have silverfish. I am chemically sensitive and am trying to hold my husband back from nuking them with the nasties. Does anyone know an effective way to get rid of them without using pesticides?

hurtingallthetimet

have you checked to see if maybe moth balls will get rid of them? seems like my aunt told me that she uses moth balls for them..
hope you get some good answers hate any kind of bugs

Ocean

We used some powder that supposedly isn't toxic unless inhaled. Not sure if that's good enough for your purposes. If you look up silverfish and powder I'm sure it will come up. Also keep your environment not too humid, if I remember right.

Carrigon

I'm not sure if they are attracted to aspartame like ants are, but you can try sprinkling some nutrasweet around, see if that helps. I know ants die from it, just don't know if silverfish go for it.

I'm having a huge problem with stink beetles in my apartment. I haven't been able to go one single day of living here without killing up to four stink beetles a day. I can't stand it. I hate bugs.

Valentijn

From the Dutch wikipedia article:

The proper way to attract silverfish is a half potato in an open plastic bag. The silverfish eats namely potato, so here they come down.

I also have found squishing them to be highly effective, as well as satisfying :D

caledonia

I thought I had silverfish, turned out to be firebrats. Anyway, I did a lot of research on silverfish and found an ebook. The answer was to remove sources of moisture and food. Food is cardboard, paper etc. I believe the author put all his stuff in plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes.
The powders you can try are boric acid or diatomaceous earth. Maybe also some sticky traps.
Moth balls would most likely be bad for someone with MCS.

Here is the link to the ebook http://www.getridofsilverfish.com/

sianrecovery

I just paid for and downloaded the e book mentioned above. Its pretty self-evident stuff, but useful. Dont pay $20 for it, email me and I will email it to you