• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Get rid of B12 build-up in liver

PDXhausted

@Luca_Toni consider a binder like activated charcoal or cholestyramine. I'm going through a similar issue right now and am seeing improvement with activated charcoal. Also look into things like NAC and phosphatidylcholine.

You might be deficient in choline like my husband was. How many eggs a day do you eat?
After initial problems with liver I can't eat more than a quarter of egg at once. A while ago I noticed that my body temperature is slightly elevated(37 Celsius, 36.6 is norm for me). Don't know how long it's the case. Eggs seem to exaggerbate this problem.
Pale stool may (or may not) indicate that you are not getting enough iron into your red blood cells, but using zinc and lead instead. These cells do carry oxygen, but not as well as normal ones, so you do not feel as well. You can search on zinc protoporphryn for more information.
Interesting to hear! I started my initial investigation regarding my brain fog because during routine visit to a doctor he said me that shape of my nails indicates low blood oxygen. And it's official.
If this is the case, you probably have plenty, even too much, iron in your liver. It takes B2 (and some other things) to get the iron out of the liver. It takes B12 (and some other things) to get the iron into the blood cells.
If you think this might be your problem, start B1, B2, B7, and manganese low and slow. If you go too high too fast you can create oxidative stress. After a few days add B6, B9, and B12 low and slow. At some point you should probably add the rest of the Bs.
Since I do not tolerate iron supplements at all(took half a pill couple of days ago, haven't fully recovered yet from shortness of breath) it's very interesting information. I begin to think that what if not B12 caused liver toxicity directly but it facilitated absorption of iron(or something else) and then the problem happened...

Do not overlook B5. Add B5 and B3 in small amounts since these are pretty easy to get from food. If you tolerate, eating eggs might be a good idea (vit A, D, K other than some Bs).
Yeap. It seems I should start with B2 and then play with other Bs.

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I begin to think that what if not B12 caused liver toxicity directly but it facilitated absorption of iron(or something else) and then the problem happened...
A B2 deficiency can cause iron to accumulate in the liver because it cannot be utilized.

A B2 deficiency can cause iron to accumulate in the liver because it cannot be utilized.
I started B2 couple of days ago and ~500 mcg (quite a small dose to my knowledge) causes minor tremor, minor coordination difficulties but it's tolerable. Also I'm going to introduce other nutrients you mentioned earlier.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I hope that it is helpful for you. Christine recommended increasing doses slowly and avoiding side effects as much as possible.

I wonder if the B2 is exposing another deficiency. Maybe introducing the other nutrients will make side effects go away.

I ordered tests for ferritin, transferrin, B12 and they returned normal:
transferrin 2.33 g/l (norm is 2.15 - 3.66)
ferritin 99 mcg/l (norm is 20 - 250)
В12 417 pg/ml (norm is 187 - 883)

I like 'iron overload' version but think that these results rule it out.

@Luca_Toni how many eggs do you eat daily?
After initial problems with liver I can't eat more than a quarter of egg at once. If I eat more I feel not well for a while.

Also a while ago I noticed that my body temperature is slightly elevated(37 Celsius, 36.6 is normal for me). Eating eggs seems to exaggerate this problem.