• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genova Intestinal Permeability test interpretation help

Hello all,

I am having some digestive issues that keep getting worse. I kept hearing how "leaky gut" can be responsible for the extreme food sensitivities I've been experiencing, leading me to a very restricted diet. I decided to get the Genova Test to hopefully stop spending $100's on "leaky gut" supplements, but I am somewhat perplexed at the results

Here is the link to the test Results

Anyway it appears that Mannitol recovery is fine, but they have some caveats there on making assumptions on the baseline number, and also linking the calculation with kidney function. I suffer from diabetes insipidus (I pee a lot), so I was wondering whether this could skew results.

Also the Lactulose is within the 1<x<2SD range, which is not as good as 1 standard deviation. So what do I make of this? Should I still work on my leaky gut, or is it a non issue?
I guess part of the problem is that according to what I read some things could affect the intestinal permeability (even in "normal" people), say with exercise, or Omega 3 fatty acids.

I think this left me more confused than before.

lWE_vjEcxJFhczSbGXWqSQE-G6j-luH-ySame_P-Q-0

Sparrowhawk

I did a different Genova test than this one so this is new to me. Mine was the comprehensive digestion analysis and showed lymphocytes in the stool (inflammation) and a problem with fat absorbtion (so I'm taking vegetarian digestive enzymes with lipase). Don't know if that is helping to heal my gut but it has made upper digestion happier.

Gut stuff is a new frontier in terms of medicine. It is very confusing, agreed.

caledonia

The test does sound like it could go either way, but if you're having food sensitivities that's a definite sign. The next step would be to get the Metametrix GI Effects stool test and if you can afford it also the Doctor's Data Comprehensive Stool Analysis with Parasitology x1 to see what kind of gut bugs you might have.

Sparrowhawk

Ok I just pulled out my paper files and the Genova test I did was the comprehensive digestive stool analysis, which included sections on Digestion, Metabolic markers, Absorption, Microbiology and mycology, and parasitology, No parasites, my eosinophils were over 30 where ref range is less than 7mcg/g. My absorption was better than three months previous. PH was below the reference range, FWIW. thx.