• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

geneticgenie progress for interpretation fo 23andMe results

kday

For those interested, I am still working on this. I have someone writing interpretation of results that's much more qualified than myself. As far as changing around the SNPs for the methylation pathway, I don't see how you could do this without clinical experience. I don't know how Amy Yasko got all her information, but I think a lot of it probably came from clinical experience rather than published articles.

23andMe just opened their API too. What does this mean? It will make it a lot easier for you and I. You won't have to upload your data anymore. It'll just work as long as your logged into 23andMe. And thanks to those who donated. The site will be updated when it's ready.

Gamboa

This sounds good but I don't really understand it all. I went to the 23andMe website but I can't get a clear answer about how much it all really costs. They mention $299 to order the kit but what happens then? Do you pay a lot more money to actually get the results? It also mentions a subscription but I couldn't find out what that meant. Do you know what the actual cost of an analysis would be? Thank you,

Gamboa

caledonia

The 23andme stuff is separate from what Kday is talking about. You register with the site and pay 23andme $299. They'll mail you a test kit. You spit in the plastic tube to give them a saliva sample, then mail it back. Then you wait a couple weeks and you'll get an email saying your results are ready.

You go to the 23andme.com, and look at your results. They have various health results like "you have a slightly increased risk for X disease", and various traits like "your eyes are likely blue". They also have ancestry results like "you're 90% Eastern European and 10% Asian." 23andme tests for several hundred thousand gene SNPs.

Right now, before paying them, you can go to their website and register. This will allow you to view the sample data of the Mendel family (nicknamed after famous early geneticist Gregor Mendel, get it?). You can see all of the health data, traits and ancestry for each member of the family.

Ok, now for Kday's Genetic Genie page. You take your results from 23andme and plug it into Kday's analyzer. It will pick out about 25 SNPs which are the same as Yasko's methylation panel. Then it will display a nifty color chart similar to the results you would get from Yasko. The worst double mutations will display red, the single mutations will display yellow, and normal genes will display green. The red and yellow SNPs are the ones you will need to address.

Right now you will need to interpret the chart yourself using Yasko's book or the Heartfixer page.

Kday indicates that he has someone working on their interpretation of the chart, and that in the future, this will print out along with your chart.

Kday is also working on the SNPs which are similar to the Genova Detoxigenomics Detox panel (showing SNPs in the phase I and phase II detox pathways). You can get an interpretation of this by using the Genova Detoxigenomics sample report.

ps. the subscription from 23andme means that they'll email you for the next year with any updates about your genes. The field is still very new, so there are constantly new findings regarding genes. They'll keep you up to date about this.

ahmo

I've just discovered GeneticGenie, just ordered 23andme. I'm also pretty new to PR, have been reviewing many methylation threads. Now I know that you're responsible for this great program. Thank You. !

roxie60

anyone know if 23andme reduces their prices around Christmas? I know they lowered it to $99 in April of 2011, I just do not know if this was a rare offering or if they offer discounts a various times during the year?

roxie60

You all probably know by now my Christmas wish was answered in less than 7 days - 23andMe testing available now for $99 vs $299, plus S&H. I gave a shout of joy and id a little dance (not too much)

kday

Thanks. I am making some modifications to my site. I don't know when I'll put the new version and detox SNPs up since I've been feeling so crappy (and can't sleep).

greenshots - While donations are appreciated to keep the site running, I don't want anyone to feel obligated. I know first-hand how much of a financial drain this illness can be.

leela

You all probably know by now my Christmas wish was answered in less than 7 days - 23andMe testing available now for $99 vs $299, plus S&H. I gave a shout of joy and id a little dance (not too much)
thanks for making that powerful wish, roxie! i have been pestering them here and there abut a price cut since i missed the one in 2011, and getting rather stupid beaurocratic answers back. looks like your method was most effective :thumbsup:

leela

Thanks. I am making some modifications to my site. I don't know when I'll put the new version and detox SNPs up since I've been feeling so crappy (and can't sleep).

greenshots - While donations are appreciated to keep the site running, I don't want anyone to feel obligated. I know first-hand how much of a financial drain this illness can be.
sorry you've been feeling crappy, kday. me too. :(
but soon i shall get my kit and find my way over to your genie. thanks so much for making it.
feel better soon!
(((kday)))

kday

This is really exciting... A genetic risk test based on 65 SNPs is out for Autism and is currently being tested by the Cleveland Clinic.

It has 65 SNPs, and 23andMe as every single one of them.

How this will help ME/CFS? I have no clue. I'd be very curious if we have high "Autistic" scores as I feel Autism and CFS may have a very similar genetic setup. And if this turns out not to be true, it can help the Autism community.

http://www.arisktest.com/28-understanding-the-report.htm

Aileen

kday, where are you getting 65 SNPs? I clicked on your link, but there was only 38 in their sample report. Is there another article with more information? I'm going to check my 23andMe results out of curiosity and to see just what these SNPs are.

kday

You're right Aileen. Those SNPs only apply to males. And I can't find a female sample test. There is a total of 65 SNPs between the male/female test if I remember right.

I am working on an Autism Risk feature. All it outputs is a meaningless table right now with no score, but if anyone wants to help me out by uploading their data and email me their results, it would be appreciated.

I am trying to figure out if the risk alleles I had to change around are all correct, and I am trying to figure out how they did their calculations. Or if someone can figure it out how they did their calculations for me, that would be awesome.

PM me and I'll send you a link if you want to help out. You can be female, but for risk assessment for this specific test, it's only applicable to males.

merylg

Full list of SNPs

http://www.integragen.fr/upload/Documents/ARISk Test SNPs.pdf

edit: It turns out their methods (using SNPs) for assessing autism risk are patented, so I don't know how much I could do with it. I am kind of wandering in the gray zone though so I don't really know how patent laws would apply to me.
Interesting thanks kday. GRIN2A is interesting. I have two copies of T. What does "additive" mean, as opposed to "dominant" or "recessive" ?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRIN2A#section_3