• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic mutations and recent abnormal VitD discovery

Gondwanaland

Risking to sound like a broken record I would suggest you to look into oxalates @enduin There is a link in my signature "Prebx Probx Ox" where you can find more info. Beer is VH (very high) in oxalates.

I know someone with this set of test results, she had a calcification of one of her parathyroids. Removal doesn't get to the cause of the calcification of the parathyroid, I understand that, but it does give a clue to what is possibly going on. She did say, though, that she has VDR bsm mutation, and that causes too much conversion of inactive D to active D.

Have you read the Marshall Protocol information? I don't think he has the answer, but he does say that the VDR can be infected. He has a protocol that involved avoiding all Vitamin D and then using antibiotics to deal with it. Several years after reading his information a thought came into my head that vitamin K2 might actually be a much easier way to accomplish the same thing.

I am interested in this because I have a lot of the symptoms, I don't get testing done, though.

Have you been tested for any viruses?

Also, may I ask if you have read about boron deficiency related to the possible calcium dysregualtion?

Do you have signs of incorrect usage of calcium? I always think of soft tissue calcification when I think of calcium dysregulation, but I am wondering if the calcium can also mess up vagus nerve receptors. I also think of some sort of pathogen when I think of calcium misplacement, and recently looking into viruses and how they love the nerves, I am wondering if the vagus nerve receptors has something to do with that in conjunction with the calcium.

I was consistently taking a good K2 for a couple of weeks and saw improvement. I had started focusing on other things and wasn't as careful, and may have had a backslide.

May I ask if you have noticed any worsening of vasovagal symptoms from eating fruit?

- I did a lot of reading about the Marshal protocol and decided it's not worth it. First of all being on antibiotics for years has too high of a risk to result in invincible antibiotic-resistant pathogenic bacteria, not to mention the devastation it would cause to the gut flora (if you notice the good bacteria are the first to be killed by antibiotics).

- I've not been tested for viruses and chronic infections.

- I've never read about boron deficiency, but was taking boron as part of a trace mineral supplement for a while and didn't notice anything. Not sure if that means anything.

- what I noticed with calcium (besides the unexplained fluctuations) is that if I take extra VitD I pee a LOT. Same happens to my wife. Also I'm not noticing that if I consume dairy (especially cheese) during the day I will wake up to pee during the night. If I avoid cheese I don't have to pee during the night. Now, cheese contains a lot of stuff, but it certainly contains calcium.

- I've never tried K2, but I read that (among other things) E. coli (the good one) produces K2, so knowing E. coli seems to be low in CFS patients I thought there was a connection. I've been taking Mutaflor for a month before I got sick and had to take antibiotics, which really sucked. Didn't notice any difference, but it wasn't a fair trial. Now I started taking probiotics again to rebuild the gut flora, but I might be having a relapse (sore throat) so I don't know what's going on. Will update if there are developments.

- I never got vagal reactions from eating fruit. Personally while I used to think there could be a problem with the vagal nerve, now I think it might be the calcium and VitD, and the vagal nerve stuff is just a reaction. I guess if I can ever get the VitD and calcium down I'll know for sure.

One more question, have you ever eaten potatoes and had a negative reaction? I have been looking at acetylcholine receptors, (vagus nerve having acetylcholine receptors), and antagonists. Atropine, a constituent of potatoes, is an acetylcholine receptor antagonist, and can cause symptoms. But they also contain something that messes with calcium uptake, which could raise calcium blood levels without the necessary rise in parathyroid hormone.

- I also never got a reaction from eating potatoes. I don't think the amount of atropine in potatoes is enough to make a difference. Atropine has a lot of quite nasty side effects that are related to its acetylcholine antagonist properties so I would be surprised if you could get some without the others.

Violeta

- I did a lot of reading about the Marshal protocol and decided it's not worth it. First of all being on antibiotics for years has too high of a risk to result in invincible antibiotic-resistant pathogenic bacteria, not to mention the devastation it would cause to the gut flora (if you notice the good bacteria are the first to be killed by antibiotics).

- I've not been tested for viruses and chronic infections.

- I've never read about boron deficiency, but was taking boron as part of a trace mineral supplement for a while and didn't notice anything. Not sure if that means anything.

- what I noticed with calcium (besides the unexplained fluctuations) is that if I take extra VitD I pee a LOT. Same happens to my wife. Also I'm not noticing that if I consume dairy (especially cheese) during the day I will wake up to pee during the night. If I avoid cheese I don't have to pee during the night. Now, cheese contains a lot of stuff, but it certainly contains calcium.

- I've never tried K2, but I read that (among other things) E. coli (the good one) produces K2, so knowing E. coli seems to be low in CFS patients I thought there was a connection. I've been taking Mutaflor for a month before I got sick and had to take antibiotics, which really sucked. Didn't notice any difference, but it wasn't a fair trial. Now I started taking probiotics again to rebuild the gut flora, but I might be having a relapse (sore throat) so I don't know what's going on. Will update if there are developments.

- I never got vagal reactions from eating fruit. Personally while I used to think there could be a problem with the vagal nerve, now I think it might be the calcium and VitD, and the vagal nerve stuff is just a reaction. I guess if I can ever get the VitD and calcium down I'll know for sure.

- I also never got a reaction from eating potatoes. I don't think the amount of atropine in potatoes is enough to make a difference. Atropine has a lot of quite nasty side effects that are related to its acetylcholine antagonist properties so I would be surprised if you could get some without the others.

I agree about the drugs used by the Marshall Protocol, but he has some interesting information, sarcoidosis being caused by an intracellular pathogen. I don't have sarcoidosis, but the people at the forum seemed to have a lot of other calcium issues that I have. Calcium not going to where it belongs, but going to where it doesn't belong.

Potatoes can raise calcium levels, too, they contain calcitriol. That might not affect you, though, but thought I would mention it. Yes, potatoes do bother me, I keep going back to them because of quitting all grains.

That's actually why I brought up the vitamin K2, it might be the remedy instead of all the antibiotics, correcting some sort of issue so that the calcium goes where it belongs. The antibiotics just make the condition worse in the long run, because they kill more of the good bacteria. Boron in it's ionic form has a good effect on helping calcium be placed where it's supposed to be.

Maybe the sore throat is a reactivation of a virus. I read that resistant starch can reactivate a virus, maybe a probiotic can, too. I don't know if this person has every point correct, but the studies linked in his article might explain why how a probiotic or prebiotic could cause a systemic reactivation of a virus.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...-can-become-virus-collaborators/#.VYhluUCUzGd

Yes, what is causing the high D and calcium is very elusive. Yes, keep us posted.

I had a theory about VitD, and the connection with K2 and gut flora, but unfortunately because of a streak of bad luck I was not able to test it properly the way I wanted. I might get some results with what my wife is doing (was able to get her VitD tested before the probiotics and will test again after).
I also think it's very likely that an infection is causing the VitD anomalies and I should try some antivirals soon. But even with this, some people had improvements, some people didn't... Saying its elusive is an understatement!

I think what makes it so elusive is that there are probably multiple issues that have a (negative) synergistic effect, so addressing one issue separately might not actually bring any noticeable or long-lasting improvement, and with a lack of lab tests to evaluate the effects of what we do on our condition, this could make people abandon things prematurely, or prevent people from improving because they are not addressing all the pieces of the puzzle.

I read a bit on virus reactivation as a result of probiotics and RS, but I started the Mutaflor and took it for a month with no other side effects than a bit of gas and extra BM. It could be anything at this point, but I think it's more likely that it's the same bug that made me sick and was not totally killed off by 7 days of antibiotic.

I'll make sure to keep you updated if there is any development!

Violeta

I had a theory about VitD, and the connection with K2 and gut flora, but unfortunately because of a streak of bad luck I was not able to test it properly the way I wanted. I might get some results with what my wife is doing (was able to get her VitD tested before the probiotics and will test again after).
I also think it's very likely that an infection is causing the VitD anomalies and I should try some antivirals soon. But even with this, some people had improvements, some people didn't... Saying its elusive is an understatement!

I think what makes it so elusive is that there are probably multiple issues that have a (negative) synergistic effect, so addressing one issue separately might not actually bring any noticeable or long-lasting improvement, and with a lack of lab tests to evaluate the effects of what we do on our condition, this could make people abandon things prematurely, or prevent people from improving because they are not addressing all the pieces of the puzzle.

I read a bit on virus reactivation as a result of probiotics and RS, but I started the Mutaflor and took it for a month with no other side effects than a bit of gas and extra BM. It could be anything at this point, but I think it's more likely that it's the same bug that made me sick and was not totally killed off by 7 days of antibiotic.

I'll make sure to keep you updated if there is any development!

Where did you read about people trying antivirals to see if it would correct vitamin D status? I would like to see other people's experiments.

I read at a lyme forum and I see a lot of people having virus type symptoms pop up after use of antibiotics. You know how antibiotics ruin your gut, which is part of your immune system, maybe that sets one up for reactivation of a virus.

I'm sorry, I didn't phrase it well. I believe that an infection might be causing the VitD anomalies. Although I also think it could be related to K2.
I never read that antivirals change the VitD levels (although it would make sense if it's caused by a viral infection), when I said some people get better and some don't I meant in general with the CFS symptoms.