• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

General Health News - New Zealand members

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I know we have members from New Zealand. Do we know if the earthquake in Christchurch had effect on them????? Anyone heard???

These pictures look pretty bad and they have already had 2 strong aftershocks. I'm sure there have been may more aftershocks, but not sure where they draw line at strong.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I just want to send my thoughts as well to anyone who is in Christchurch or who has family there. I have many friends in N.Z as i used to live there and am devastated to see what has happened there. xx

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I was on a thread about a week ago and I can't remeber which one, but there was a PR member that was from New Zealand (I can't remember their name either). Hopefully we will hear from them soon.

OverTheHills

Hi all

I'm fine and my immediate friends and family are fine, thanks for caring.

NZ is a small country though, and almost every kiwi will know someone who is badly affected by this with so many lives, homes and businesses gone, missing or wrecked.

A grim time down here.

OTH

anne_likes_red

I'm fine, family fine.
I'm in, or you would say "on" the North island. My husband felt the quake at his workplace here - a very tall building which is built to sway with quakes.

The effect for those out of the directly affected region that any significant event here feels local. Probably to do with our relative physical isolation, and our small size :)

We haven't heard from Antherder - she's in Christchurch. I started a thread in the Community Lounge yesterday.
I think less than 50% of Christchurch City has power and there has been widespread damage so I guess it might take a while before she is able to post. Hope she is OK.

International search and rescue help is here from Australia and I believe on it's way from UK, USA and Japan.

Re aftershocks
Aftershocks continued to hit Christchurch overnight, the largest a 4.8 magnitude tremor 10km south-west of the city at a depth of 7km at 9.21pm.

There have been at least 11 more quakes over magnitude 4, with the latest a 4.6 magnitude earthquake 7km deep at 6am today, GNS Science says.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10708156

anne_likes_red

Hi all

I'm fine and my immediate friends and family are fine, thanks for caring.

NZ is a small country though, and almost every kiwi will know someone who is badly affected by this with so many lives, homes and businesses gone, missing or wrecked.

A grim time down here.

OTH

Glad to hear you and your loved ones are ok OTH.

Things are very subdued out and about here.
Lets hope today brings news of more survivors.