• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

General Anesthesia & Sensitivity to Medications

joejack102

For all those with CFS/ME/POTS/etc etc,

1) Are you particularly hyper-sensitive to the effects of medications?

2) Have you undergone full anesthesia? If so, did you respond abnormally?

Diwi9

Administrator
1) Since having ME/CFS, stimulants (including coffee) increase brain fog and can induce a crash.

2) I have had problems getting numbed at the dentist when getting fillings, with removal of my wisdom teeth, and during a root canal. I have never had a problem with anesthesia during surgery (I don't know if it was "full" anesthesia, I seem to remember the term "twilight" anesthesia being mentioned both times). I now pay extra for IV sedation during dental work after too many painful experiences.

Binkie4

@joejack
Thanks Joejack. I am ok with local anaesthesia without adrenaline. Have never had a GA since having ME which is why I am concerned.

Hanna

I had a general anaesthesia in 2002 and my heart reacted so badly to it that I was 1 month in cardio rehabilitation. Name of the stuff was PROPOFOL.
I learnt later that propofol is toxic to mitochondria, so beware.

Binkie4

@Hanna
@Sushi very kindly provided me with some links to details of types of anaesthesia recommended. Cheney' s article referred to a Dr Glass, very experienced in anaesthetising ME patients, and he recommended propofol! Really difficult.
Thank you for replying anyway. I suspect we may all be different. I think I need to talk to the anaesthetist, give any info I have to him and let him take over.

EDIT: Charles Lapp's leaflet on anaesthesia also recommends propofol as well tolerated in ME.

Last edited:

Hanna

A Rare Case of Propofol-Induced Acute Liver Failure and Literature Review

G. Kneiseler,a H.S. Bachmann,b L.P. Bechmann,a A. Dechene,a T. Heyer,e H. Baba,c F. Saner,d C. Jochum,a G. Gerken,a and A. Canbaya,*
Author information ► Copyright and License information ►

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:
Abstract
The incidence of drug-induced acute liver failure is increasing. A number of drugs can inhibit mitochondrial functions, alter β-oxidation and cause accumulation of free fatty acids within the hepatocytes. This may result in hepatic steatosis, cell death and liver injury. In our case, propofol, an anesthetic drug commonly used in adults and children, is suspected to have induced disturbance of the mitochondrial respiratory chain, which in consequence led to insufficient energy supply and finally liver failure. We report the case of a 35-year-old Caucasian woman with acute liver failure after anesthesia for stripping of varicose veins.

@Binkie4 , yes we all react differently. And it seems that those reactions are rare.