August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gas Fireplace/HVAC/Radiator Heat Lightheadedness?

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by sparklehoof, Mar 14, 2017.

  1. Has anyone else noticed that they feel lightheaded and more sick when near a gas fireplace (turned on) or when the house heat either HVAC or Radiator Heat is turned up passed a certain temperature (for me above 67-68F)?
  2. IThinkImTurningJapanese

    IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

    Your may be encountering two different problems here. A gas fireplace can exacerbate Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, and HVAC or Radiator Heat can initiate mold problems.

    I have noticed feeling very lightheaded and sick near a radiator in the winter. I have gotten considerable relief by spraying the coils with ethanol.

    I love winter for the relief from heat, and I can't wait for it to end so the problems with indoor air pollution end, mostly. :)
  3. Mohawk1995

    Mohawk1995 Senior Member

    Sounds like it could be sensitivity to temperatures as you noted you cannot tolerate above 67-68 degrees F or could be some time of gas/chemistry interaction that is tolerated by most people but not by you. Very similar to Migraine issues with high sensitivity. Sounds more temperature related to me. Our son had a temperature tolerance to about 75 degrees only. He would get lightheaded and if really bad nauseated if it was hotter.
  4. Plum

    Plum Senior Member

    I react to the VOC's released from the dust trapped in the radiators. We bought a long bendy duster this year which helped clean the radiators and I reacted less.
    Jennifer J likes this.
  5. SolarMuse


    I had no idea that anyone else felt out of sorts with gas heaters. There was a large gas heater at a relative's house that I would spend the holidays at. I could not even enter the room that the heater was in. But strangely, last year we moved into a 100 yr old house w/ a gas fireplace. It does not bother me at all, except for the first lighting of the season when the dust is burning off. Then, we have to open all the windows for a while.

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page