• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

garlic and ibs, sibo?

Some sources said garlic is a no no for sibo and ibs according to fodmaps but on the other hand some recommend it due to its antibacterial property.
It confused me.
So which one was better? :eek:
Also some say to make garlic infused oil instead but the healing property in garlic gone by heating. Not to mention consume much vegetable oil isnt so good due to higher omega 6 also oil to biofilm.
Is garlic supplement any good/better? Isnt the allicin gone due to processing? I think its only for lowering BP? :confused:
Could someone give explanation on this matter?
Thank you :)

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey kiseki. Just my two cents, no explanation. Garlic is a very healthy food ingredient because of the multitude of health promonting flavonoids and what not it contains, and can be consumed raw in small quantities or cooked in whatever quantity. High dose raw garlic is shown to irritate the intestines in studies and personal experience confirms it.

I tried to juice garlic and it burned my digestive system nicely. Don´t recommend.

If you have digestion problems Betaine Pepsin and good enzymes will prove useful, they were for me (have to start again on them, sick of burping all day long and not digesting a lot of items such as quinoa). The idea is take this stuff until your leaky gut/adrenal fatigue/whatever heals and you can produce enough digestive juices yourself.

JAM

Jill
Some sources said garlic is a no no for sibo and ibs according to fodmaps but on the other hand some recommend it due to its antibacterial property.
It confused me.
So which one was better? :eek:
Also some say to make garlic infused oil instead but the healing property in garlic gone by heating. Not to mention consume much vegetable oil isnt so good due to higher omega 6 also oil to biofilm.
Could someone give explanation on this matter?
Thank you :)
It is all very confusing. After two decades of experimenting with nutrition I've come to the conclusion that every body is different and responds differently to food. There is no one "right" way to eat (beyond Michael Pollan's food rules). Garlic may cause great pain for one person with IBS and none for another. My advice would be to do an elimination diet. Figure out what works for you and do it.

"Some sources said garlic is a no no for sibo and ibs according to fodmaps but on the other hand some recommend it due to its antibacterial property."

they are both true IMO. it depends on which bacteria/fungi provoked your IBS...or what other issues you have like CBS/SUOX or histamine.... for me each time i eat garlic (or any other sulphur food ) i get constipated and got some "wound" like in left colon. plus being more toxic and got semi jaundice face. no cruciferous veggies for me :(.

re-oils for SIBO some had good results with them. including myself several years ago with peppermint oil and garlic extract oil. but not since 3-4 years when i got a sulphur reducing bacteria overgrowth along with candida. one should use oils only after he/she managed to reduce a bit the inflammation in the gut - preventive.

i would second JAM advising on elimination diet. try and see.

ahmo

@kisekishiawase I've just listened to talks by 2 people as part of The Digestion Sessions. Each has a site which might offer you further info. In the 30" talks I heard, both talked about SIBO and candida. I didn't take notes re garlic, as I'm sulfur intolerant. You might find more info on their sites:
Chris Orecchio thewholejourney.com Jillian Teta: fixyourdigestion.com

I don't know whether this link will allow you to hear any of the sessions. Organizer Sean Croxton said during one of the 2 talks I heard, that the Preview links would now go to the full talks. That might be expired by now, and might not be available if you hadn't subscribed earlier. http://digestionsessions.com/schedule/

@Beyond hey long time no see :D
Thanks everyone for the reply :thumbsup:
@ahmo @AkeBono @JAM
Well im interested in garlic not only for its antibacterial but blood thinner from its allicin but its gone when heating. Since i got hypercoagulation which i heard is common for cfs.
I couldnt tolerate raw garlic it caused stomach pain, etc unfortunately :( but cooked garlic seem ok. I think. I dont know on long term.
Is garlic supplement better?
I know garlic contain high sulfur which could be good/bad for some.

ahmo

confused-3316.gif
flower-smiley.gif

JAM

Jill
@Beyond hey long time no see :D
Thanks everyone for the reply :thumbsup:
@ahmo @AkeBono @JAM
Well im interested in garlic not only for its antibacterial but blood thinner from its allicin but its gone when heating. Since i got hypercoagulation which i heard is common for cfs.
I couldnt tolerate raw garlic it caused stomach pain, etc unfortunately :( but cooked garlic seem ok. I think. I dont know on long term.
Is garlic supplement better?
I know garlic contain high sulfur which could be good/bad for some.
I sometimes take a baby aspirin every day to keep my blood thin. It is one of those things I have to choose, thick blood or a rash caused by the aspirin....