• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gaps diet put me in direction to recovery

Gapsdiet website has all snacks/ foods info, more in their book too. I don't snack much. I just stick to their diet plan most of the time. I remind myself about consequences- that's crash and being in bed. I know it's hard. But this diet is heal and seal , we can advance diet as we improve to full gaps and even normal diet later may be years or decades for me if at all that happens. I live with my spouse and our children. They eat normal diet. I cheat only occasionally - with fruits and nuts, my cravings!
Plus point- I get a lot of compliments from others about how good I look. I thank my diet, as can't do much exercise!

Hip

I have just been reading about the rationale for the GAPS (gut and psychology syndrome) diet and the very similar SCD (specific carbohydrate diet), the latter which dates back to 1924. I understand that the GAPS diet is the same as the SCD in terms of food restrictions; but in GAPS, some extra food types are added, which are thought beneficial for intestinal health.

The main restrictions of the SCD (and the GAPS diet) are the avoidance of certain carbohydrates, specifically: disaccharides (eg sucrose, lactose, maltose) and most polysaccharides (grains, potatoes, rice, maize) are not allowed, because these cannot be directly absorbed in the small intestine: they first need to be broken down into monosaccharides (simple sugars) before they can be absorbed into the bloodstream.

The theory is that if these disaccharides and polysaccharides are not fully broken down into monosaccharides and absorbed in the small intestine, some disaccharides and polysaccharides will pass partially digested into the colon, where they get eaten (fermented) by the bacteria in the colon (by both the good and bad bacteria).

This will tend to cause gas and bloating, as bacterial fermentation releases gases such as hydrogen, methane and carbon dioxide. But moreover, if you have pathogenic bacteria in your colon, these partially digested carbohydrates may nourish the bad bacteria and allow them to proliferate (bacteria ferment these carbohydrates to obtain energy).

So the rationale for the SCD and GAPS diet diet is to eliminate disaccharides and polysaccharides from the diet, so that there is very little food for the bad bacteria to eat. Presumably it would be a good idea to add prebiotics to the SCD and GAPS diet, as prebiotics are defined as food that the friendly can eat, but that bad bacteria cannot make much use of.

The SCD allows you to eat monosaccharide sugars (eg glucose, fructose, galactose), as these are directly absorbed in the small intestine, and so will not pass into the colon to feed the bad bacteria. So fruit is fine on the SCD, as this contains fructose. And honey is fine, as the main sugars in honey are glucose and fructose.

Here is a list of legal and illegal foods in the SCD.

The Paleolithic diet (stone age diet) is similar to the SCD, but is not quite as strict (allows some carbohydrates that are not allowed on the SCD). The low FODMAP (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols) diet also follows the same basic rationale as the SCD: it restricts any carbohydrates that can pass partially digested into the colon, where bad bacteria may feed on them.

An Easier Alternative to the SCD, FODMAP and GAPS Diets?

It occurs to me that instead using these hard to follow SCD, FODMAP and GAPS diets, a much easier shortcut to obtaining the same results might be to take a supplement that provides all the appropriate enzymes needed to digest the disaccharide and polysaccharide carbohydrates. That way, you could still eat the normal range of carbohydrate foods wihout any restriction, but the supplemental enzymes should ensure that all these carbohydrates are fully digested and absorbed in the small intestine, and that no partially digested carbohydrates reach the colon, where they may feed pathogenic bacteria.

The most important enzymes for digesting carbohydrates I have listed and detailed below. These enzymes include amylase (secreted by the pancreas), glucoamylase, maltase, isomaltase, sucrase and lactase (all secreted by the brush border in the small intestine).

I looked at dozens different digestive enzyme supplements, and the following have the highest levels of enzymes that break down carbohydrates (brush border enzymes and the pancreatic enzyme amylase):

Enzymedica, Digest Gold with ATPro
Source Naturals, Essential Enzymes Ultra
Healthy Origins, Digestive Enzymes, Broad Spectrum
Garden of Life, O-Zyme, Digestive Enzyme Blend
Garden of Life, O-Zyme, Ultra, Ultimate Digestive Enzyme Blend
Enzymedica, Digest Spectrum
Swanson Ultra BioCore Optimum Complete Ultimate Full Spectrum Enzymes

It may be that such carbohydrate-digesting enzyme supplements will not be as effective as the SCD diet; but it may be worth trying them, as it will be so much easier than the diet.

Further discussion in this post.

Digestive Enzymes That Break Down Carbohydrates

In the small intestine, the following enzymes break down carbohydrates (via hydrolysis):
  • The pancreatic enzyme amylase (which is also found in the saliva) breaks down carbohydrates into the maltose, maltotriose and dextrins (dextrins are polymers of glucose).
  • The brush border enzyme glucoamylase (also called amyloglucosidase) breaks down dextrins into the monosaccharide maltose (which is then absorbed) and the trisaccharide maltotriose.
  • The brush border enzyme maltase breaks down maltose and the trisaccharide maltotriose into glucose, which is then absorbed.
  • The brush border enzyme isomaltase breaks down polysaccharides which cannot be broken by amylase or maltase.
  • The brush border enzyme sucrase breaks down sucrose into glucose and fructose, which are then absorbed.
  • The brush border enzyme lactase breaks down lactose into galactose and glucose, which are then absorbed.

Another enzyme sold as a supplement for the purpose of digesting carbohydrates is alpha-galactosidase (this enzyme is naturally secreted by the saliva glands).

Last edited:

wonderoushope

@Daffodil - I've had at times real issues with always being hungry. I don't know if you are talking about the same type of hunger as mine, but sometimes something sets off my body and I can eat and eat and not get full at all. I will eat heaps of protein and it doesn't make a difference. It usually lasts up to 4-7 days when it happens. Luckily it has died down in the last few months, I am on the RPAH diet to test for food intolerances, but now it's looking like I have probably more FODMAP issues.

One thing that has helped me a lot is seeing a dietician, and with her suggesting eating low- GI meals during the day, including breakfast. Because there is not much choice for me on the RPAH diet, my breakfast usually is lentils, a vegetable that can be eaten on the baseline diet and some rice (not low gi). She also told me to eat every few hours. Prior to that I had rice puffs and rice milk for breakfast which was all high GI. I think this also helps keep my energy levels more level throughout the day.

I think that has helped a lot of with hunger issue as well as cutting out food items that are an issue. I now don't need to constantly eat.

mrmichaelfreedmen

My symptoms included severe postexertional malaise, sore throats,brain fogs symptoms , gut symptoms worsening over 2 years after Levaquin, Worsening after augmentin antibiotic and many more symptoms of CFS is why I was diagnosed with cfs/ me/FMS and also direct Levaquin side effects.

Augmentin and the flu triggered my CFS.

There is no known connection between taking antibiotics and the triggering of ME/CFS. ME/CFS usually appears after a viral infection (eg, a gastrointestinal upset or flu-like illness); more rarely it appears after vaccination, and very rarely it appears after major surgery; but there is nothing in the medical literature to suggest that antibiotics are a triggering factor, or even a risk factor.

Now, I remember having a flu like illness right after augmentin in 2011, which drastically worsened all my symptoms!

Hip

Now, I remember having a flu like illness right after augmentin in 2011, which drastically worsened all my symptoms!

That flu-like illness is a more likely explanation of how your ME/CFS arose. The enteroviruses linked to ME/CFS (namely coxsackievirus B and echovirus) can cause flu-like symptoms when you first catch them, so you may have picked up coxsackievirus B or echovirus at that time.

Unfortunately there is a shortage of labs that can detect chronic coxsackievirus B or echovirus infections; only ARUP lab in the USA offer a blood test that can detect CVB and echovirus.

mrmichaelfreedmen

There is no known connection between taking antibiotics and the triggering of ME/CFS. ME/CFS usually appears after a viral infection (eg, a gastrointestinal upset or flu-like illness); more rarely it appears after vaccination, and very rarely it appears after major surgery; but there is nothing in the medical literature to suggest that antibiotics are a triggering factor, or even a risk factor.

Alterations in the Microbiome of the GUT by antibiotic use is definitely associated with CFS/ME.

CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME A KICK IN THE GUTS
Research suggests that chronic fatigue is linked to gut bacteria and how our bodies convert food into energy

https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-a-kick-in-the-guts

I believe the enteroviruses messed up / worsened my gut dysbiosis or worsened gut permiability further. I still blame damaged gut to be the cause of cfs/me. Virus was just a facilitator of worsening.