• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Funding for NIH Centers of Excellence?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Does anyone know if the roughly $7 million a year allocated for the new NIH ME/CFS research centers is in addition to the roughly $7 million already budgeted for ME/CFS by the NIH, so that total funding for ME/CFS is suddenly doubled to roughly $14 million a year? (see https://report.nih.gov/categorical_spending.aspx)

Or are they just using the $7 million already budgeted?

And for whoever responds, it would be helpful if you could provide your source(s) for this information - thank you!

Nielk

The categorical spending for 2017 is just an estimate. We will have to wait till 2018 to calculate the actual figures.

Mary

Moderator Resource
The categorical spending for 2017 is just an estimate. We will have to wait till 2018 to calculate the actual figures.

Right, I understand. But 2 years ago Francis Collins said that funding for ME/CFS research would be "substantially ramped up" in the not too distant future. So it's great to see these centers being funded - but I would like to know if ME/CFS funding has doubled, or is at the same rate as before. I think this information should be available now, am just not sure where to find it.

Forbin

Is the cost of the NIH intramural study included these numbers? I don't know what that figure would be, but I don't think it was included in Jenny Spotila's blog (unless I missed it).

Nielk

Is the cost of the NIH intramural study included these numbers? I don't know what that figure would be, but I don't think it was included in Jenny Spotila's blog (unless I missed it).
I don't think so. This is only for extramural studies.

I

viggster

No, that money is spent on the NIH campus and is not included in the accounting of external funding. Dr. Nath has said the intramural study costs about $2-$3 million a year.

neweimear

No, that money is spent on the NIH campus and is not included in the accounting of external funding. Dr. Nath has said the intramural study costs about $2-$3 million a year.
Viggster, will they look at potential treatments at the end of the study...some drugs that can be repurposed for us hopefully...is that part of the plan?