• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Functional B12 deficiency?

Gondwanaland

Took a baking soda bath last night after I convinced myself to lower my burning skin into warm water. I actually did feel relaxing.
Could be acidosis
Had potassium deficiency symptoms (muscle knots) this AM. Also having urgent diarrhea which I think is a folate deficiency issue for me.
Those could be magnesium deficiency from too much potassium (again acidosis).

I now keep pH strips at home and test my urine in the evening when I have uncomfortable symptoms. The 1st time I tested it was 4.5 - very low! Bicarb baths really helped. I use 1/2 cup in the bath tub and soak for 15-20 min

COMT V158M and COMT H62H
You need much more magnesium than you are taking
Choline will also help
I would stop taking methyl donors for a while

VDR Bsm, VDR taq,
Are you sure you need that much vit D? My levels are 45.2 ng/mL after some supplememntation (3,000 iu for 2 months) and I am happy with that

OPTIMAL VITAMIN D LEVELS
Are some people pushing their vitamin D levels too high? Has science proven that the minimal acceptable blood level of vitamin D, in the form of 25(OH)D, is above 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L)?

The answer is “No.” If you’ve been trying to maintain your levels this high because you thought this was the case, I’m sorry to break the news. There is, on the contrary, good evidence that 25(OH)D levels should be at least 30-35 ng/ mL (75-88 nmol/L). Much higher levels may be better, or they could start causing harm, especially in the absence of adequate vitamins A and K2. Once we leave the land of 30-35 ng/mL, however, we enter the land of speculation.

I'm studying my lab reports again. I missed that the homocysteine was on there. It is 5.7. So I guess it should be higher. I checked my sulfur in my urine a few days ago and it was under 200, so that was good.
Also I have been reading that b12 deficiency would cause low red blood cell count, but mine is slightly high - too much b12?. Haven't gotten back the MMA, but now I'm thinking that I'm on the wrong track with the b12.

Did not know that the vitamin D would antagonized magnesium. When I take the cod liver oil alone my levels are in the low 30s. I thought they should be higher, but I'll stop the D. Getting some sun now anyway.

My magnesium is magnesium citrate which keeps me regular. Have thought maybe I should use another form, but haven't researched it. So I hear you saying that the 2.2 level in my blood work may not mean I have enough.

I'm willing to try some niacin and have been debating doing that, but I hated the thought of a flush, since I already feel like I have one. Also I was afraid of stopping things and crashing myself further. I don't understand "overmethylation." Seems that Freddd does not believe in it. Didn't realize it could cause neurological symptoms like this. How much niacin would you suggest? Willing to try it and see what happens. Just need someone to tell me how much and what to expect. Then how do I readjust folate and b12 supplements?

What form of magnesium do you suggest?
I have some acid pee strips. Don't really know what to do with results. I'll go try to find them and test.
I have read this about the D vit. before. Keep reading conflicting info. I'll stop the D supplement.
Advise on the niacin. Afraid to stop the methyldonors cold turkey. Do you think that is really a good idea?

Just tested my pee. The strip was as dark as it can get 8.0. That's good right? or does that test have to be done in the morning?

Gondwanaland

How much niacin would you suggest? Willing to try it and see what happens. Just need someone to tell me how much and what to expect. Then how do I readjust folate and b12 supplements?
Sorry I don't have a personal experience with that, just what I read. When I had my crisis I was already crashed and stopping everything didn't change much anyway. Once I started getting the magnesium I needed, things felt much better.
Advise on the niacin. Afraid to stop the methyldonors cold turkey. Do you think that is really a good idea?
I don't know.

You seem overstimulated (anxiety), COMT is overburdened by too much neurotransmitters. I would at least titrate methyl supps down.

Gondwanaland

Just tested my pee. The strip was as dark as it can get 8.0. That's good right? or does that test have to be done in the morning?
In the evening, when it usually should be less acidic. I have never seen a result of 8 before. Mine are always 4.5 - 6. My husband's are 5.5 - 7. Sorry, I don't know what it means, perhaps leading to alkalosis?

With these I don't think you should take alkalizing measures like sodium bicarbonate or magnesium.

Perhaps niacin or nicotinamide would help then. Nicotinamide increases uric acid, so perhaps that is what you need?

Yes, the anxiety has been high. Xanax is helping. But I don't like taking meds. Yes, the wonderful COMTs - "smart and crazy SNPs." I think the homozygous COMTs finally explained why SSRIs created huge panic attacks for me. Thank you for the time you have taken to listen. I know these things are complex. Maybe someone will chime in with more help on the Niacin. I have contacted a practitioner who does this, but can't get any help from him for 2 weeks. He had to take off for a family situation. Don't know if I can stand 2 more weeks of this.

Good point. But would it go away with more folate if it was viral or bacterial? Always goes away with more folate and I've never had it before I started this protocol. It's miserable.

Gondwanaland

I never had angular cheilitis, but have always read people reporting it resolving with more folate.
Can't you go to ER and ask them to check for alkalosis/acidosis? Serum and urine electrolytes should be checked, esp. anion gap. I wish I knew this when I went 3x to the ER and got no help.

I know how distressing a visit to the ER can be though :(

ljimbo423

Maybe someone will chime in with more help on the Niacin.

Hi- I use 1/4 of a slow release 250 mg tablet of niacin (nicotinic acid), not niacinamide. Dr. Ben Lynch who is extremely knowledgeable in treating methylation recommends 50mg niacin for over methylation.

The 1/4 tablet I take (62.5mg) is usually enough to bring down the over methylation symptoms and I don't get the niacin flush because it's slow release. I also noticed you said you were taking 3 mg of iodine, I think. When I take milligram doses of iodine, my anxiety goes through the roof for some reason. So that is something you might want to consider. Good Luck..........

Thank you, I just emptied out half a 100mg capsule of niacin and took it. We'll see. I think a niacin flush might be my undoing right now just because of my current skin sensations. Does benadryl help with a flush?
Wonder how long to wait before taking more if the 50mg does nothing.

Crux

Good point. But would it go away with more folate if it was viral or bacterial? Always goes away with more folate and I've never had it before I started this protocol. It's miserable.

There are many folks here who rid their AC with more folate....but your RBC folate is plenty high, as is your dosage. I would be concerned about excess folate. The increased insomnia and anxiety are big symptoms of too much.

There was a thread a while back about high folate dose and fungal infections.

I just wonder if starting the protocol also exposed the infection? ( I've had this happen with other trials.)

This is a frustration.

That's interesting. Haven't had any effect from the niacin yet. Thought I would wait an hour then take 50mg more and see and then keep going. Unless someone can advise a better plan.

Considering whether the whole skin burning thing could be an anxiety response. But doesn't seem like it would go on for so many days......

Okay, going to try 50mg more. I have had niacin flushing from taking it before starting the folate/b12. I think the feeling would be indistinguishable from the current feeling in my skin, but a rash would be tell-tale. No rash so far.

ljimbo423

Haven't had any effect from the niacin yet. Thought I would wait an hour then take 50mg more and see and then keep going.

If you take another 50mg niacin and don't feel a lessening of symptoms 45-60 minutes after taking a second dose. I would look for something else causing the anxiety.

I have never needed more than 100mg and that was when my anxiety was so high from over methylation it felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest. So if it's over methylation causing the symptoms 100mg niacin should make at least a noticeable difference.

Pretty sure the burning in my skin is causing the anxiety, unless my anxiety caused a psychosomatic skin burning response. I'm looking for a noticeable difference in the burning, which I'm sure will greatly help my anxiety.....