• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From wheelchair to walker...

Hi everyone thanks so much for all the replies on my previous thread. :)
For the past couple of years I have relied heavily on the use of my wheelchair. But now I am really desperate to get to use my walker. My mum is the best but it super protective and doesn't want to me to use my walker as she is worried about falls or fatigue e.t.c. I totally understand but I am really wanting to improve the amount of time I am walking as being completely honest I have felt quite low recently and i just want to feel like I am progressing. The difficulty is that my chair is obviously needed on shopping trips as I know I couldn't cope being upright for a long time. (I have PoTs) does anyone have any experience on using a walker and the best way to begin? I currently use my walker in my garden and on my drive . Thank you
Emma

Dechi

No advice but I just wanted to say that I wish you the best. I think if you feel you can use a walker safely, then do so, it will help with morale and might even gice you a boost.

ukxmrv

Hi Emma,

Just an idea but have you thought about using a HR monitor to see how long you can stand safely to use your walker? I don't have a walker at the moment (wish I did!) but I am trying to see if I can increase my standing time safely. The idea is to take your HR and BP as you stand and see what happens when you firstly stand with the walker and then try to move around.

I'm guessing you want to use it more to move around your home?

Diwi9

Administrator
There are some walkers with built-in seats. Since you have POTS, it might be the best option to avoid getting a concussion if you feel you are going to faint and need to sit down. I understand your Mom's concern and your desire for more independence. :hug:

Dear Emma,

Isn't the best thing simply to use your walker in the garden to walk up and down (and up and down, and up and down, and... you get the idea), increasing gradually each day (weather permitting—of course this may be impracticable for you, and if so I am sorry to be giving irrelevant advice*). This is boring, but it is safe (you are at home, and can position a chair nearby for you to sit on as and when needed). Minutes walked and speed of walking can be increased as gradually as you need to.

I say this because I began walking in a similar, very small, way in 2016: just 5 minutes, then 10... today I can walk 35 minutes 3-4 times a week. Now, I didn't start off from a wheelchair, but I was very unsteady, I had had several falls, and my left foot turns in, which at the time made balance trickier still. Hence when I first began walking, I had to lean on my husband's arm all the time. Having his company made the walk much less dull, of course, but sometimes I had to make myself do it (it's very hard to know, sometimes, whether I can or can't safely push myself a little bit, and I bet it's the same for you). I feel so much better now, with less pain and fatigue—better than I have been for about 10-12 years (I've had ME since 1989), and I have lost weight too.

*If walking outside isn't possible, what about one of the small pedalling devices that are on sale? You can sit down or even lie on the floor to use them, and adjust the resistance to fit your capacity.

I very much hope you can improve your walking time. Even if it's only 2 minutes to begin with.

best wishes
Cat