• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Free Online Showing Of Forgotten Plague This Weekend Only

ahmo

My husband watched this. He found it..amazing, illuminating, a must-see. Here i am, 15 years on, and still wondering if he thinks I could be doing more. Probably not, probably it's only me. I recognized, maybe after seeing this vid, that what I think is a new and progressive response from me, "You know, I feel like I can start doing a few things outside," in fact is the same thing I've been saying whenever I have some moments of feeling good, right from the start. I'm delighted to have days when I can make that statement. The reality is if I pulled 2 clumps of weeds, or swept leaves for 10", it's unlikely I'll repeat it any time soon. This film reminds me how much I have to be grateful for. Even to feel well enough to think about such things is a blessing.

Old Bones

I, too, was impressed with the job Ryan did. He could have presented the material in a sensational manner -- sort of like hitting the viewer between the eyes with a two-by-four. His subtle approach was very effective. Had he expressed anger or too much outrage, he may have "turned off" the audience members we need to reach -- those who are either unaware of the illness, or who have already made up their minds that patients are histrionic malingerers.

Another thing I appreciated was the balance in portraying not only the most-seriously affected (Whitney), but also those of us who look "normal" for the select periods of time we venture out of the house. Too often, articles characterize ME patients as looking like a "limp, dirty dishrag". Although most of us probably have our "dishrag" moments, the fact that we often look so well adds to the credibility problem. At least two of the patients alluded to this situation, again without blaming healthy individuals for their misperceptions.

I hope this documentary reaches a broad audience, and wonder what plans the Blue Ribbon Foundation has to do so.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I watched it yesterday - what a fabulous job! I think it's the type of film that would be interesting to a lot of folks who don't have this illness. For example, the parts about systems biology and using computers (toward the end of the film).

For anyone who misses the free viewing period, or who just wants a DVD copy, here's the link where you can pre-order:

http://www.forgottenplague.com/product/pre-order-forgotten-plague/

I have no idea when the DVDs will actually be created & shipped.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
I got an email yesterday saying that they would be shipping soon from the manufacturer to The Blue Ribbon Foundation on 1/19, from there they get shipped to Amazon, who then fulfills the sales orders. Who knew?

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
How do we get this movie listed as documentary on Netflix? @Never Give Up
Here's what the FP Facebook page says, "The film will be released via iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon VOD on Thursday, January 21st. It's now currently available for worldwide DVD pre-order via http://www.forgottenplague.com/shop/?product_count=8"

My guess is that if they can make a deal with Netflix, it will come later. A large number of views and plenty of social commentary will probably help them negotiate a placement.

Countrygirl

Am I right in assuming that this DVD cannot be played on European machines as I see that it is formatted according to NTSC standards?

Dolphin

Am I right in assuming that this DVD cannot be played on European machines as I see that it is formatted according to NTSC standards?
From a mail-out by Ryan Prior from yesterday:
European orders will take a tad longer because we have decided to do a manufacturing run of PAL-formatted DVDs to ensure that they will all work on European DVD players.

EtherSpin

I, too, was impressed with the job Ryan did. He could have presented the material in a sensational manner -- sort of like hitting the viewer between the eyes with a two-by-four. His subtle approach was very effective. -----------

Another thing I appreciated was the balance in portraying not only the most-seriously affected (Whitney), but also those of us who look "normal" for the select periods of time we venture out of the house. Too often, articles characterize ME patients as looking like a "limp, dirty dishrag".

nonetheless the documentary was hard hitting for our lot and our loved ones (the ones who get it or give a ****) - I mean, how many times did you rest of you folk have to pause, mop up the saltwater, collect yourself and get back into it ? the girl who said that chair/couch is her life and her hell. the gulf war syndrome bloke who wanted to thank the researcher for simply believing the illness could be real, the cut from the radiologist in purple , in the 90s explaining that she can make herself appear to function for a few minutes with prep time to 21 years later and here she is, ill as ever, white hair. I know there were about 5 other things as touching and gut wrenching but... I cant remember them right now :)

it was so tastefully done and I couldn't believe how well they covered all the facets of our issues, from those of us able to sit up and do hobbies or even some sedentary part time work, to those of us in darkened rooms and even those of us who flit between those extremes regularly

Old Bones

nonetheless the documentary was hard hitting for our lot and our loved ones (the ones who get it or give a ****) - I mean, how many times did you rest of you folk have to pause, mop up the saltwater, collect yourself and get back into it ?

Despite having ordered the DVD, I watched the documentary three times during the "free" period. Each time, I grasped something new. I was initially surprised that my husband didn't watch it with me, although he was in the next room, listening. Perhaps it was too painful for him. It definitely had an impact, because he has shown much more empathy since then, and it seems genuine. I wish I could have viewed it from inside someone else's head, without the filters almost 30 years of illness have imposed on my interpretations.

With the exception of one friend/neighbour (who has an ill family member in the U.K.), I didn't forward the link to anyone. (Most people I've tried to educate seem to fall into the "don't give a ****" category.) I was touched that both she and her husband watched it. In an email, she described it as "very enlightening, and very moving".

Old Bones

My pre-ordered DVD copy of Forgotten Plague arrived in the mail yesterday. Although my husband didn't watch it during the free on-line opportunity, he did last evening. He agreed it was very well done. But, it gave him nightmares -- various scenarios of harm to me (eg. me falling off a cliff and "splatting" when I hit the ground). I'm sure it was not Ryan's intent to cause nightmares in viewers. But, this definitely speaks to the powerful message he conveyed.