• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fred or anyone. Sleep has gotten worse----

freshveggies

I started Fred's protocol on May 26 and immediately started feeling better and sleeping better. I have had horrible sleep for the last 8 months and bad sleep for the last 5 years, but it got worse since July 2011 after my doctor pushed by dose of T3 too high and it started some kind of a storm in my body.

I have been taking
b-complex with methafolin 2 x day One in am one at lunch
I take 3000g vit c in am and at noon
A -am
E-am
DIM am and noon
magnesium glycinate morn, and spread out throught the day
Metafolate - varies. I might take an extra 1-3 a day besides what I get from my multi
Potassium 1500-3000
just started 5mg DHEA today ( I have checked my level and I have low estrogen and Test)
4:1 oil
4-5 ---5000mg mb12 last one by around 1:00pm
1 - adb b12 am --tried 2 days not having any and I could hardly move I was so tired and depressed
1 ET b12 am
15mg zinc. (I am thinking of trying it in the pm based on what I have read.. interesting article here:
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/vitamins+supplements+a-z/showarticle.aspx?id=62
Lipase at meals
1 unisom at night.

I haven't taken calcium yet. I seem to have issues with it. I just never feel right, but I have some cal/mag butryate and might start that. (short chain fatty acid)

I started 1 drop of jarrow L-carnitine yesterday and 3 today. I have good energy today, but might be the adb as that give me energy.

So when I first started the protocol. The viitamins were really putting me to sleep. Should I start adding in more supplements to keep things working?

Any suggestioins? I don't fully understand the methylationi process. I have just ordered a 23 and me test. That will take about 4 weeks for me to have my results.

xchocoholic

Hi,

I'm not up on all the supplements that you're taking but I thought I'd reply because I had to stop
taking adb12, b12 and p5p because each of these gave me energy at first but later caused insomnia.
I suspect that my body needed these but once my needs were met, my body rejected them.

Quick question tho .. Since your name is freshveggies, why are you taking all these supplements ?
Fresh meats, fruits and veggies are better sources of nutrients. Did you see dr terry wahls ted video ?

Fwiw, Fred's and Rich's protocals, like most, if not all, cfs protocals, are unproven theories. I couldn't
tolerate either .. Tc .. X

freshveggies

HI, Good to know. Maybe I just need to back them down a little. I eat all fresh stuff. Yes I did see the video and it is very good. I have some partial methylation blocks. I am getting testing done because it won't go away on its own. Every time I have cleaned up my diet even more, my husband benefitted and I did not. It is not diet related for me. I wish it was that easy. I even take my own food to my mother-in-laws house because I eat too clean to eat what she serves. That is how stick I am on my eating plan.

xchocoholic

Hi again,

Thanks for replying. I was just curious about your need for supplements. I'm trying to get off my
supplements via diet and juicing. I've been able to reduce a few already. Kow .. I don't want to jinx it. lol

Diet hasn't cured my me/cfs either. But I'm a celiac who ate gluten for 50 years. And couldn't walk
for 16 1/2 because of my diet. I've only been gf since 2005.

When you say clean diet, what does that mean to you ? Are you on the wahls diet ?

I just started the wahls diet back in jan and my orthostatic hypotension went away in feb. I was paleo for several years
prior. I wasn't getting enough veggies or fruits and was eating too much meat. I really missed the boat on that one.

I'm just hoping eating the wahls way will help me get more relief from my me / cfs (mostly pem and pots).

Fwiw, I've seen several people here react to the methylstion supplements like I did. They're just too strong
for some of us. Why do you thnk you have a problem with this ? All info at this point is just someone's theory.

As far as insomnia goes, I use 1 - 2 mg melatonin and 30 - 50 mg 5htp now. I was using a higher dose but juicing
appears to be helping me absorb or convert nutrients better.

Tc .. X

freshveggies

thanks for the information. I am paleo, but have cut out a lot of the veges and fruit. That might be a problem for me too. I just can't seem to get it right. melatonin doesn't seem to work for me. I have tried several kinds and doses and 5htp keeps me up all night. I have hormones to figure out too and haven't had a lot of luch fine tuning them yet. I am going to dial down on the b's as I see Fred mentioned that in the insomnia thread and see how that goes. The adb really makes me feel good. It clears my head and gives me energy.

place

Be Strong!
I don't have any thing to assist other than, I have been tracking my sleep with the "fit bit" I only have this months so far but I am hoping it will show me a trend and then give people a time frame for those who try this protocol. I know people say you sleep get better on this protocol but as far as when??? maybe someone else will know.

xchocoholic

Diet is defintely a work in progress for me too. In the last 7 years, i went from a very sad SAD to gfcfsf, etc
to paleo / low oxalate and now wahls. Not to mention all the chemicals I eliminated. Whew ..

It's hard for us canaries to live in this toxic world. Esp with all the common food intolerances freakin everywhere.
Supplements can have these too. I've found several that I knew were cross contaminated. Most E's I tried
have soy.

I need a combo of mel + 5htp to sleep. When I first started using sleep supplements, I needed l theanine too.

The adb helped me at first too but the insomnia wasn't worth it.

Tc .. X

adreno

PR activist
4-5 ---5000mg mb12 last one by around 1:00pm

That's a serious amount of methylcobalamin. I am now of the opinion that ingesting too many methyl groups will cause imbalances by depleting other B vitamins, especially B3 and B2. You probably have some methylcobalamin in your B complex already. I would stick to just that. Or, you could try hydroxycobalamin instead, as it is not a direct methyldonor, but has to be converted first.

freshveggies

I had a little better sleep last night taking mag, zinc and phosphatidyserine before bed. I lowered the mb12 to 2 today and 1/2 adb. We shall see how that works. I can say I really don't know what I am doing because I don't understand methylation yet.