• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Former BMJ editor Richard Smith's blog post on PACE

Aurator

This is when I recall there are epidemics of ME. Can't see how personality predisposed them to get infected.
Arguments for the role of personality in epidemics of ME/CFS can easily be found: the people with the most vulnerable traits succumb first and generate hysteria. The hysteria increases in its potency and its tendency to cross-infect those with comparatively less vulnerable personalities as the number of those that have succumbed to it already in the particular microcosm in which the outbreak occurs itself increases.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Yep. And the CBT fanclub are now focusing more on views about activity and other aspects of cognition and personality as predisposing and perpetuating CFS.

Here's my opinion on an aspect of personality that might, at least, perpetuate CFS. We already know based on the backgrounds of many sufferers that they were accomplished and successful in their pre-illness lives. And, research has proven that those who push through their early-illness limitations generally have poorer outcomes than those who give their body an opportunity to heal. So, perhaps our "when the going gets tough, the tough get going" approach has worked against us. If this is the case, why should we be criticized/blamed for a personality trait that is generally admired in our society? Interestingly, this is a concept first explained to me by the Chief Medical Officer of the large multi-national corporation I worked for when I became ill, who was definitely "on my side".

Chrisb

Does this mean that there's another large scale CBT/GET trial in the works? Bloody hell...

There seems to be a similarity to the political attitude to the result of referenda. Was it a referendum in Ireland with regard to the EU bailout terms where the populace had the temerity to reject the terms, whereupon it was indicated that they would keep voting until they came up with the right answer? I think it happened somewhere else as well.

No doubt son of PACE will produce the right answer. Of course, it might not be to the right question.

EllenGB

Who are the 'son of PACE' investigators?

Take a guess and may the first guess be right. Who would be interested in expanding CBT and GET in the UK? You need a sense of humour here. Just saw latest instalment of FINE work. I'm pacing so decided not to go beyond abstract.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Take a guess and may the first guess be right. Who would be interested in expanding CBT and GET in the UK? You need a sense of humour here. Just saw latest instalment of FINE work. I'm pacing so decided not to go beyond abstract.
Oh, that. So nothing new then.

Yogi

@charles shepherd Thanks for responding to the bmj. Did you do an online comment as I cannot see it in online comments?

I think the MEA has a good case for defamation against the bmj regarding point 1 if they do not apologise and rectify the false allegation. Otherwise this will start getting repeated by other media outlets as the truth.

charles shepherd

@charles shepherd Thanks for responding to the bmj. Did you do an online comment as I cannot see it in online comments?

I think the MEA has a good case for defamation against the bmj regarding point 1 if they do not apologise and rectify the false allegation. Otherwise this will start getting repeated by other media outlets as the truth.

Some further comments have now passed moderation, including my own:

http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2015/12/16...lege-should-release-data-from-the-pace-trial/

An apology and a retraction is clearly required

I will give Richard Smith a bit of time to respond

If there is no response, I will write to Fiona Godlee at the BMJ

C

Undisclosed

Yet another thread has gone off-topic. If I have time I will try to split it, if possible.

Please keep the discussion limited to the topic of the thread which is "Former BMJ editor Richard Smith's blog post on PACE".

For those who haven't read the Forum Guidelines -- Tips for posting and keeping our community supportive and safe, here are some guidelines for you to consider:

Avoid Off-topic Posting
  • Hijacking forum threads is not only impolite but destroys a thread's continuity. If you would like to discuss something tangential to the central topic -- start a new thread and insert a link to the original thread.
  • Starting a personal conversation in the middle of a thread also breaks the thread's continuity. Rather, start a 'Conversation' (private message) with a member/members, or open a chat.
  • Please don't use existing forum threads to promote your own special interests. If you have a special interest in a particular topic/supplement/doctor/med etc, start a thread and keep the conversation there.
Responding to other members
  • Please remember that members are offering their personal opinions in posts. Everybody has unique beliefs so please don't try to invalidate another member's beliefs simply because you disagree with them. Opinions are debatable as long as the debate remains constructive.
  • When you post, be open to being challenged. Your ideas may challenge others and this can facilitate growth but do not personally attack others for not sharing your opinions. Always respect the views of other members even if you don't agree with them.
  • If you vehemently disagree with a topic being discussed on a thread, please do not repeatedly interject your views, disrupt the flow of conversation and sow discord. The beauty of forums is that you can start your own thread to discuss your own point of view. Constructive disagreement is fine. Explaining the reasons why you disagree is a lot different than simply posting negative critical comments without backing them up.

Thank you. :):):)

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
There's certainly a lot in this, but I think it''s overstated. Specifically, I think it the PACE trial was capable of showing CBT or GET worked - had they actually been effective - if it had been set up and in particular interpreted properly - with an example below of how that could look.
OK, so the trial data that's been published so far shows PACE CBT/GET did not work, but I don't think that is a meanginless or uninterpretable finding. In fact, I think PACE is good evidence that CBT/GET aren't much use in mecfs.

Certainly it's much harder to set up and interpret a study using self-reports in unblinded studies, which applies to much psychological research. But I don't think its by any means impossible, if researchers are aware of the pitfalls and interpret results accordingly.

@Jonathan Edwards, I don't agree that there are no good methods for conducting behavioural interventions. There are, but they need good control arms (a "dummy" therapy that's promoted as heavily as the one of interest), and they need a range of measures, not just self-report. Still, appreciate your support on the broader issues here!

I hear what you are both saying, Simon and Woolie, and constructive debate could get us further on this I suspect, but I pretty much stand my ground.

For PACE to show that CBT works I think either the controls would have had to be different (rather as Woolie suggests and I will come back to that) or the primary endpoint would have had to be more sophisticated. As we have discussed before I think they should have used something like the ACR grading for rheumatoid, where you need to satisfy both a subjective and an objective criterion to get a score. There are other options with several 'primary' endpoint options with a built in Bonferoni adjustment if you want to say that satisfying any of them would be worthwhile. I am not sure what the original primary endpoint was. If it was purely objective that would have done, but I don't think it was.

The PACE authors will have known that CBT is not magic, from prior experience. They knew they were looking for a fairly modest effect. You say that it would be hard to nudge the subjective endpoint enough o get a bigger difference, Simon, so a bigger difference would have been convincing. But the sad truth is that this is no good. People lie and fiddle data all the time in science. The main motivation for both therapists and patients in a trial like this is not truth - it is some personal agenda, often rather pressing - job, or continued care. Principle investigators may be seekers after the truth if you are lucky, and single site trials can be fairly free of gerrymandering, but with multicentre trials all hell is let loose. I know from experience. Your only hope is blinding treatments because fiddling then just becomes noise rather than factitious results. Over the years in drug trials we have learnt the hard way. Looking back I realise I used to fiddle data, not really knowing I was, all the time before we started doing all samples blind etc.

There is also something very odd about CBT. You used the words 'showing CBT worked', Simon. But what we want to know is whether it 'works' or more specifically will work. The problem is that we have absolutely no way of measuring whether the CBT used in GET was the same as will be used next time. For drugs we know the chemical formula. For CBT we know pretty much nothing.

CBT is not just the content of information and rational argument delivered by a therapist. If it was then all that would be needed would be for patients to be given books or videos explaining it all. What the trial purported to test was the value of the additional interview process with the therapist. But, as an eminent colleague of the PACE authors pointed out to me, there are virtually no therapists in the UK trained to provide CBT of the sort recommended. And of course what is worse still is that we have no way of knowing whether or not the difference matters. So there would have been no scientific content in showing 'CBT worked' because it would not be generalisable to prediction.

And of course this is a double edged sword because if that eminent colleague is right then for all we know most of the patients in the PACE trial had 'incompetent CBT' so the trial did not show that CBT is of no use.

Coming to Woolie's point, I agree that we need different controls, but I find it hard to believe that dummy therapies will be any good. As you say this would need to be promoted as heavily as the test therapy. But how are you going to get therapists to convince patients that they are themselves convinced of the value of the therapy equally for test and dummy. It is pretty easy to tell if someone is bullshitting. When I looked into this for physiotherapy I concluded that one would have to recruit new individuals with no physio theory or practice training and teach them boht test and dummy procedures without telling them which was being tested in the trial - i.e. they would not even be allowed to see the title of the trial. And for psychotherapy I suspect that what effect there is is very much dependent on the patient thinking that the therapist genuinely has long experience of the treatment and its results in previous research or practice. So bringing in 'virgin therapists' would defeat the object. I honestly do not see a way to do it that would convince those of us who have seen how bias leaks in everywhere unless you make it impossible.

And coming back to measures, I agree we need a range, but as said above, if we want to avoid Bonferoni and suchlike and arguments about what really matters I think psychology needs to follow something like the ACR system, which requires both subjective and objective hurdles to be crossed. Maybe such instruments exist but I have not heard of them for ME.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
But, as an eminent colleague of the PACE authors pointed out to me, there are virtually no therapists in the UK trained to provide CBT of the sort recommended.

Thankfully the LibDems were comprehensively chucked out in the last election otherwise they were dead keen to boost CBT'ery to combat the 'mental health crisis'.

Undisclosed

Thank you all for respecting the moderation request to keep this thread on-topic.

This thread is now being closed to either split the thread or remove all the off-topic posts.

Last edited:

Undisclosed

Woolie

I agree that we need different controls, but I find it hard to believe that dummy therapies will be any good. As you say this would need to be promoted as heavily as the test therapy. But how are you going to get therapists to convince patients that they are themselves convinced of the value of the therapy equally for test and dummy. It is pretty easy to tell if someone is bullshitting. When I looked into this for physiotherapy I concluded that one would have to recruit new individuals with no physio theory or practice training and teach them boht test and dummy procedures without telling them which was being tested in the trial - i.e. they would not even be allowed to see the title of the trial. And for psychotherapy I suspect that what effect there is is very much dependent on the patient thinking that the therapist genuinely has long experience of the treatment and its results in previous research or practice. So bringing in 'virgin therapists' would defeat the object.

Not sure where to post this now, but these are important concerns, and its useful to set them out they way you have. I do see your point that it might be hard to do a good psychotherapy control condition in practice.

As we saw with "adaptive pacing", its difficult for a research group to set up a not-of-interest intervention without also subtly communicating to patients that they're not going to benefit from it.

Maybe there's the "adversarial collaboration". If anyone's not heard of it, its when two research groups with different allegiances or beliefs join forces to create a study that pits them against each other. Other options are to use a trainer for the therapist that is aligned with the dummy therapy, and have the manuals checked by that person. This introduces its own problems, as ideally, the dummy therapy should not be predicted by anyone to lead to improvement. If some people believe it will, and the two treatments don't differ, one could still argue both were effective.

Its a tricky business, I agree!

EllenGB

I hear what you are both saying, Simon and Woolie, and constructive debate could get us further on this I suspect, but I pretty much stand my ground.

For PACE to show that CBT works I think either the controls would have had to be different (rather as Woolie suggests and I will come back to that) or the primary endpoint would have had to be more sophisticated. As we have discussed before I think they should have used something like the ACR grading for rheumatoid, where you need to satisfy both a subjective and an objective criterion to get a score. There are other options with several 'primary' endpoint options with a built in Bonferoni adjustment if you want to say that satisfying any of them would be worthwhile. I am not sure what the original primary endpoint was. If it was purely objective that would have done, but I don't think it was.

I should have liked to discuss and explain a bit more as I see with referee eyes that I could contribute but don't feel comfortable on this forum. Great though that you and Dr Shepherd are here.

user9876

. There are other options with several 'primary' endpoint options with a built in Bonferoni adjustment if you want to say that satisfying any of them would be worthwhile. I am not sure what the original primary endpoint was. If it was purely objective that would have done, but I don't think it was.

I don't see why you need a Bonferoni adjustment if you way all criteria have to agree. The problem is when people have a number of outcomes and try to pick some to support their theory. If they all agree then that should reinforce a decision - if they don't agree then a careful examination should take place into whether outcomes are really independent or if there is just bias in certain variables.

.CBT is not just the content of information and rational argument delivered by a therapist. If it was then all that would be needed would be for patients to be given books or videos explaining it all. What the trial purported to test was the value of the additional interview process with the therapist. But, as an eminent colleague of the PACE authors pointed out to me, there are virtually no therapists in the UK trained to provide CBT of the sort recommended. And of course what is worse still is that we have no way of knowing whether or not the difference matters. So there would have been no scientific content in showing 'CBT worked' because it would not be generalisable to prediction.

I thought one of the claims for CBT over other talking therapies was that is was easier to reproduce reliably. I'm surprised that no one has done experiments to look at the reproducability claims and different skill levels and types of people giving the therapy. But then such experiments would need easy to measure effects so maybe very hard.