• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$$$ for WPI vote daily now in Vivint Round 2!

eric_s

Today, in around 16 hours, It Gets Better has only made around 300 votes. They had periods with alomst up to 600 votes right at the beginning of the contest too, so it's not really like the are continuosly increasing their spikes. This last one was extraordinary though, that's true. But the way it looks now, they can't do this every day. I agree it's not over yet, but i also don't think it's true that there are contenders out there that can do much more and only have not shown their true potential yet. I think that potential is theoretical (number of "likers"), but in reality they can only mobilize a small percentage of it. It's like the 17 million people with ME/CFS around the world. Not all of them are voting... It Gets Better Project is a more popular cause in the UK than ME/CFS? :confused:

Dolphin

They've just "about an hour ago" put a message up on Facebook appealing for votes - don't believe they did it yesterday.
They also thanked one Tweeter for voting giving a link how to vote. It will be interesting to see how many votes they get. There is a chance that Facebook and/or Twitter only helps so much and that the surge was a one-off due to the website. But I think I'll probably be voting for the WPI again today as they haven't lost interest - if they hadn't put up anything on Facebook and Twitter for a few days it might have been different.

eric_s

I don't think we are going to risk it all by diverting 5000 votes to the IACFS/ME. How large do you think is the probability that another charity will overtake the WPI and end up with a lead of between 1 and 5000 votes? I think that's quite improbable. I believe the chances the WPI will be overtaken are small and if it were to happen nevertheless, probably the other charity would have so many votes that we would not have beaten them either way. Because they would have to be able to get 4000 or more votes per day. But i agree the wildcard drawing is not really worth a lot. I guess it's just a matter of personal attitude, wheter one likes to take a chance or not. Since i have not seen any of the contenders reach numbers near what they would need and since they have never been able to produce steady high numbers, i would think it's a shame to waste that chance.

eric_s

That's great and i think it's the kind of thing we need to build on (together with a ton of other stuff :rolleyes:).

Btw, It Gets Better are down to almost insignificant levels again, around 600 votes yesterday. Maybe they can stay around that level (it seems to be their "Facebook advertisment level") or they will drop further, that's my guess.

Let's vote IACFS/ME today and every day where It Gets Better and the other contenders are below 1000, i think that should be a big enough safety margin, even for the people who like a lot of safety. Even though a win in the wildcard drawing is not guaranteed at all, it's at least a chance.

That's great and i think it's the kind of thing we need to build on (together with a ton of other stuff :rolleyes:).

Btw, It Gets Better are down to almost insignificant levels again, around 600 votes yesterday. Maybe they can stay around that level (it seems to be their "Facebook advertisment level") or they will drop further, that's my guess.

Let's vote IACFS/ME today and every day where It Gets Better and the other contenders are below 1000, i think that should be a big enough safety margin, even for the people who like a lot of safety. Even though a win in the wildcard drawing is not guaranteed at all, it's at least a chance.

Can you consider giving the votes to the National ME/FM Action Network to try to get them into 2nd place? If they are 2nd and if there is any issues the #1 entrantant that they become disqualified, then the national group would win. It would be easier to get the 3000 votes they need to move to second than it would be to get IACFSME the 5000 votes they need.

jace

Off the fence
Just to give the factual stats, in the form of a graph:
Screenshot2011-08-12at104256.png

You will note that IGB spiked at 300, then 600, then 2,198 - not 1,600, that was on the next day. They got 550 yesterday. Now, if they could continue geometrically increasing the size of their spikes, the WPI could still be toast. As time goes on, the prize gets closer, but we haven't bagged it yet. Nothing is won until it's won. Just sayin'. Me, I'm sticking with the WPI. No-one has the power to make individuals vote one way or another. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Imagine if none of our charities won anything in Vivint? I know I'd be gutted. I'm sure I'd not be alone.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
As stated, It Gets Better is all over the place with 560 yesterday and so far today, only 198, with 9 hrs left to go. For some reason, they can't sustain the peaks which looks a bit fishy to me.

I would be totally crushed if WPI lost out on the $100,000, but I agree with Eric that I don't think the difference of the 4500 votes for IACFS would make or break anything for WPI. Obviously, we are all just going on gut instinct, and I respect everyone's opinions as there is no "right" answer.

The IACFS dipped to 38 for the day, and the National ME/FM sank to 89!

Stats for Aug 11:

WPI 55513 + 878 = 56391
Be Perfect 14563 + 72 = 14635
Surfer Healing 9143 + 37 = 9180
Hailey mayz 7350 + 47 = 7397
Next Gen 4389 + 15 = 4404
Invisible 5758 + 28 = 5786
Jumpstart 4143 + 13 = 4156
King Bellflower 4777 + 35 = 4812
Sean Vernon 3516 + 29 = 3545
Partner Living 2464 + 10 = 2474
Shared Hope 2904 + 8 = 2912
Austin's House 2984 + 27 = 3011
Trevor 1119 + 4 = 1123
Dream 1266 + 11 = 1277
Courage 1916 + 19 = 1935
Ameriface 1829 + 23 = 1852
Prader Willi CA 564 + 0 = 564
Gets Better 9710 + 560 = 10270
Tinnitus 388 + 2 = 390

IACFS/ME 623 + 38 = 661

Light & Love 29529 + 409 = 29938
St John Hospital 11586 + 92 = 11678
ME/FM Action 8560 + 89 = 8649
Prader-Willi 7411 + 72 = 7483
Nightingale 377 + 4 = 381

Attachments

• vivint 08-11-11 1402 hrs.pdf
    79.7 KB · Views: 16

Battery Muncher

Today, in around 16 hours, It Gets Better has only made around 300 votes. They had periods with alomst up to 600 votes right at the beginning of the contest too, so it's not really like the are continuosly increasing their spikes. This last one was extraordinary though, that's true. But the way it looks now, they can't do this every day. I agree it's not over yet, but i also don't think it's true that there are contenders out there that can do much more and only have not shown their true potential yet. I think that potential is theoretical (number of "likers"), but in reality they can only mobilize a small percentage of it. It's like the 17 million people with ME/CFS around the world. Not all of them are voting... It Gets Better Project is a more popular cause in the UK than ME/CFS? :confused:

Ouch. Was that aimed at me?

But yeah, seems like I spoke too soon. Sometimes I just say stuff without thinking it through. Ignore me.

eric_s

Can you consider giving the votes to the National ME/FM Action Network to try to get them into 2nd place? If they are 2nd and if there is any issues the #1 entrantant that they become disqualified, then the national group would win. It would be easier to get the 3000 votes they need to move to second than it would be to get IACFSME the 5000 votes they need.
Me, personally, i would not do that. I would love for the National ME/FM Action Network to win, but is there any reasonable chance Light&Love Home will get disqualified? Somebody asked me about that some weeks ago and i looked at it and thought they are not in breach with the rules in any way (it was about them being Canadian or not and spending money in Canada or abroad). Maybe you are thinking of another issue, so could you tell us why you think they might get disqualified?

eric_s

Just to give the factual stats, in the form of a graph:
Screenshot2011-08-12at104256.png

You will note that IGB spiked at 300, then 600, then 2,198 - not 1,600, that was on the next day. They got 550 yesterday. Now, if they could continue geometrically increasing the size of their spikes, the WPI could still be toast. As time goes on, the prize gets closer, but we haven't bagged it yet. Nothing is won until it's won. Just sayin'. Me, I'm sticking with the WPI. No-one has the power to make individuals vote one way or another. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Imagine if none of our charities won anything in Vivint? I know I'd be gutted. I'm sure I'd not be alone.
No offense meant, but some days ago i posted their numbers for earlier periods in the contest:
8/7: 553
9/7: 336
10/7: 217
11/7: 355
12/7: 250
13/7: 409
14/7: 193
15/7: 73
16/7: 44
17/7: 62
18/7: 93
19/7: 70
20/7: 67

25/7: 45
26/7: 403
27/7: 88
28/7: 66
29/7: 46
30/7: 26
31/7: 30
One can see they were near 600 before and above 400 on 2 more days. So it's not really true that their spikes are steadily increasing. The last spike was the only one that was out of their normal pattern.

I agree with you that no one has the right to tell somebody else how to vote and that it's not over yet. I will take the chance here and also i think we should get used to voting for a number of charities and coordinating our votes and other types of actions. If we can do that we will have more success.

Thanks, Special K, for the update. That was not aimed at you, B M, i was just really surprised to hear that. If it's like that it's not your fault...

Dolphin

Just in case it was missed: the recent increase for It Gets Better Project was probably due to three things (if not more):
- Mentioned on Facebook page
- Tweeted quite a lot of times in a short period (not just directly encouraging others to vote but also thanking people for voting)
- Its placement on the blog at the front of the website.

BTW, I signed up to It Gets Better Project on Facebook and they haven't sent any messages out there (i.e. message to members rather than just posting it on their page) (perhaps they did on Tuesday before I signed up). If they do that, I fear they could get a big jump.

eric_s

Hmm... not that i look at it a bit closer, it seems my numbers and the ones in the graph are not exactly the same. I don't know which ones are correct, i took the ones given here in the thread. Either way, unless they would decide to cheat, my guess is that we won't see very much from It Gets Better Project anymore. CHASE was different, because they tolerated compensation for votes. The WPI's lead is so big and there are not a lot of days left, so i think most people will not believe anymore that it would make sense to vote. That does not mean we should not continue to vote. Of course we should and i think we have done really well, always keeping the vote up.

Dolphin

Hmm... not that i look at it a bit closer, it seems my numbers and the ones in the graph are not exactly the same. I don't know which ones are correct, i took the ones given here in the thread. Either way, unless they would decide to cheat, my guess is that we won't see very much from It Gets Better Project anymore. CHASE was different, because they tolerated compensation for votes. The WPI's lead is so big and there are not a lot of days left, so i think most people will not believe anymore that it would make sense to vote. That does not mean we should not continue to vote. Of course we should and i think we have done really well, always keeping the vote up.
The next 24 hours may give a good idea: 8 minutes ago they posted it on their Facebook page (they hadn't posted since Tuesday, although It Gets Better Project - New Orleans did post an appeal). They also tweeted a definite appeal just now. I think the increase for the last couple of days has been from their website.

Dolphin

In 49 minutes, the post has got 66 likes. The post on Tuesday only got 110 likes in total. Not sure exactly what this says - it could be that today's post might still only get 110 or so likes.

ETA: I see somebody asked yesterday on their FB page how to vote and nobody replied!

eric_s

It brought them a good number of votes, they now have around 800 for the day. It's interesting to see what works for them and how much it gets them. I was expecting them to drop further today, but ok, they are still nowhere near levels that would allow them to catch up.