• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For those on Freddd's protocol: how do you time your vitamin C intake?

I'm under the impression (maybe incorrect?) that vitamin C interferes with both B12 and folate. I know that people here have mentioned that. Although, i went on the Linus Pauling site and they are saying that there aren't good studies to support the idea that vitamin C destroys b12 or folate. What do you all think of this?

Since I'm taking B12 and methylfolate throughout the day, when can I take the 4,000 mg of vitamin C that is recommended? If I take it all at once at night, I know it won't get absorbed. I think that you can only absorb 500mg at a time, so...what should I do?

Critterina

Not that I'm doing the right thing, but this is what I'm doing:
B12 on waking and at 3 pm.
Folate with breakfast
Vitamin C at dinner (usually at least 6-7 or 8 pm)

drob31

I know vitamin C will chelate minerals in the blood as well, so it may be ideal to take minerals away from vitamin C.

I know vitamin C will chelate minerals in the blood as well, so it may be ideal to take minerals away from vitamin C.
Blerg. I thought vitamin C made absorption of magnesium more efficient, so I've been taking them together at night. Also, I wanted to keep the magnesium away from the B12 and folate. Also, I need the magnesium malate to sleep!!! Darn it!

I'm really confused about the vitamin C thing. I would hate to be canceling out the supplements I'm taking.

aturtles

Good questions. I have some of the same questions.

I consider taking C "away" from other things to be only some 20 minutes surrounding it, so I take it "away" from L-MTHF and Calc/Mag, but not by hours.

Anyone else have specific info on best way to take C and what to avoid taking with it?

I guess nobody knows? I can't figure out a clear answer through searching.

I really want to up my vitamin C but I don't see how I can do that if I can only take it at night. :(

aturtles

@Soporificat, in my opinion it's easy to be over-concerned with this sort of thing. My experience and research tells me that interference of vitamin C with other supplements is somewhat speculative, and varies tremendously depending on the supplement, and how much you are taking.

How much C? 500mg once a day? 5 grams with each meal? I suspect lower doses are less likely to matter.

But if you're concerned about potential interactive effects, find an hour in your day when you're not taking any other supplement and take the vitamin C in the middle of that hour. That's what I do.

Also consider what specifically concerns you, and isolate that supplement specifically. If I were concerned about anything, it would be my L-MTHF because it's expensive and critical to my methylation. So I might isolate my L-MTHF from my vitamin C, and I do, but not significantly and not rigorously. I typically take a gram or two of Ester C, in two doses a day, each in an hour where I'm not taking anything else.

Except when I don't. :) I have not found interference (or enhancement) problems with C sufficient to notice.