• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For those interested in E.coli Nissle

I am purchasing a small amount of E. coli nissle and I will be culturing it so I don't have to keep purchasing it from oversea's at highly inflated prices. If anyone has interest in where they might find some within the United States please pm me, I would love to help with some information.

brenda

Would love to hear how to culture it as I hope to do so when my supply runs out.

brenda

What about this:

Growth of E. coli usually stops, even in the presence of the large total concentration of organic nutrients in LB broth, when the OD600 reaches around 2, corresponding to about 0.6 mg of E. coli (dry weight) per ml. The reason is not difficult to find: LB medium provides only a scant amount of carbohydrates, and surprisingly small amounts of other utilizable carbon sources. Tryptone and yeast extract are mostly composed of peptides of varying length. In their definitive 1968 study of Bacto Neopeptone using gel filtration, Payne and Gilvarg found that there was a clear size limit for the usable peptides at about 650 daltons—which corresponds to the exclusion limit of porin channels determined several years later. The smaller, usable peptides were a minority, perhaps a quarter of the entire mixture. Free amino acids were an even smaller minority, approximately 1% or less of the entire preparation. If we assume a similar size distribution for the peptides in tryptone and yeast extract, we can postulate that the yield of E. coli is limited primarily by the available carbon sources.

from

http://schaechter.asmblog.org/schaechter/2009/11/the-limitations-of-lb-medium.html

.6 mg per ml is still alot of bacteria. I am sure I could do the math on that if I really wanted but if you drink a sizable portion of the broth(1/2 cup or so) you will get billions or trillions of the bacteria. you could easily add sugar to the mixture for added carbohydrates. In any case the both is still a good medium for e. coli growth

aaron_c

@ Brenda: Wow, that blog is...rich with information.

My understanding of what they were saying was:

LB Broth may not be a perfect growth medium for E. coli. As with pretty much any growth medium, what this means is that E. coli will grow "normally" until it runs out of the necessary and preferred nutrients. Like humans, when runs out of necessary nutrients (they discussed magnesium) it will continue to grow for a while, but it will not be as healthy. Also, when it runs out of the nutrients it prefers (they suggested that it might prefer to use some amino acids over others) it will use other ones that it does not like as much. Again, this will probably effect its growth.

This is seen with E. coli in the pattern of growth, where it reproduces quickly for some time until it runs out of what it wants, and...I think that basically they see less growth of E. coli in the petri dishes, and even a shrinkage of it after enough time.

My thought is that for us, we do not necessarily need E. coli nissle to gobble up every bit of what we give it, and to that end perhaps both the soy-milk method from Dr. Myhill's web site and the LB broth method might work. On the other hand, if we do allow it to grow as much as it possibly can (thus pushing it into territory where one or a few nutrients are lacking), will it spring back once deposited in our guts and given all the goodies therein?

How much do you ferment yours, @donovank730?

Yes I grow mine in soymilk very easily and it grows very effectively. I do retention enemas with it and it works very well but it is a very strong probiotic.

SwanRonson

I saw this strain recommended for constipation, but I'm reluctant to take probiotics orally after a nasty bout with sibo last year. Is enema delivery a good method for this strain or is oral the best route?