• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food you find easiest to eat

What food, excluding meat, do you find easiest to eat. I was already slim before becoming ill but now I have lost even more weight over these 5 years or so.

The problem is finding foods I can actually eat, I feel sick always. Very sick sometimes.

Fore the importance is calories but the odd thing is that some food you think would be easy (like cucumber) I can't eat, but something like peanut butter, I have to eat loads of.

So it doesn't always 'make sense' in terms of what i can eat, it is very much hit and miss and I guess many of you understand that, some foods your body can't stand, some are fine etc.

So i thought we could compile a list of things we can actually eat as for someone like me it would be very important to try and gain weight as for a long time I have been very underweight and really really don't want to be.

Thanks for reading

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Potatoes and other carbs are my allies against under weight, but I am still not looking quite-nourished (not bony, " normal" etc) when naked which is when you really see how your weight is. With clothes on I look normal which I didn´t two years ago. Sweet potatoes. WHITE RICE, basic. Spanish dishes with tons of chickpeas and other high-calorie legumes.

Someday I will get there, to 70 kgs or more. Right now I am stuck at 65. The last year with great effort and eating a lot of quinoa and other carbs I reached almost 70 kilograms, but I feel better not stressing myself to gain weight, it is not worth it.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I recently lost 15 lbs (I had pigged out over the last year) by using a 1200 calorie a day diet. Now that I've reached my target weight, I'm having a problem eating enough food to maintain that weight. The only reason I don't want to lose more is I don't want to have to deal with buying clothes.

I was trying to figure out what has calories but isn't "bulky". I like almond butter and am waiting on some crackers from iHerb. I can't eat rice because it is too constipating for me. I just can't eat 1450 calories/day.

@Willhm I think it's going to be trial and error for you. What @Beyond and I can eat it doesn't mean you can. So our lists will be totally different.

rosie26

Hi Willhm
Coconut it is good for nourishment and adding weight. The problem for me is that I can't seem to hold on to weight over 60kg so I have to try to just nourish my body as much as I can when I can.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I have similar underweight issues.

I agree with @minkeygirl that food intolerances can be pretty individual, but in case it helps to know what I find helpful.

nut butter is nourishing and while i cannot do peanuts, I use sunflower butter and hazelnut butter.

Sticky rice is my friend--i can get it without enrichment (which bother me) and a GI doc told my family member it is good for the GI tract.

If you can do eggs, these are nourishing and can be easy to fix.

I find brown rice pasta easy enough, provided it's well cooked.

Cooked carrots are the easiest vegetable for me.

Chicken soup is a good dish (provided it's made by my carer) as the broth is nourishing, everything is soft, and it's all there in one dish.

Electrolyte drink and sea salt is helping. With the weight, too.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
You might know all of this already, but just in case: It might be possible to sort some of your intolerances into categories, which might predict some foods you can't have (though it won't guarantee others will be safe, but it might be useful if some of it was less random):

Intolerances of basic foods are pretty individual, but it's common to be sensitive to additives (the list from the study is much more extensive than here: search "excitotoxins" if interested; sulfites would be another category). Peanuts, tree nuts, soy, eggs, milk/dairy, wheat/gluten, fish, shellfish, strawberry, and tomato are some of the most common allergens/problem foods.

Some people also find they are sensitive to nightshades (tomato, potato, bell peppers/capsicum, paprika, eggplant, pimentos, and even pepino melons). For some reason some lists of nightshades contain mushrooms, which is clearly impossible to be in the same family, but maybe has similar properties?

Other people find they are sensitive to histamine foods. Or fructose. Or fiber.

taniaaust1

If dairy isnt an issue to you, you could add milk powder to your milk for extra calories. When my daughter was underweight when little, that's one of the things her dietian had her do.

What foods are easiest for us to eat thou I think its far too much an individual thing. I doubt what I need to eat would be suitable for you.

alex3619

Intolerances, not allergies, are based on specific chemicals in a food. Any food with the same chemicals will produce problems. I know of a researcher who was working on this, but she has not published and we have not been in contact for years. What she had found is that food preparation that neutralizes target chemicals can alter the response. So a food might be intolerable cooked one way, but tolerable another. Unfortunately this nearly always involved grinding it up, and using either strong food-grade alkali or acid, like vinegar or baking soda. The food then tasted yuck. I do not know what came of this research.