• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food sensitivity and an odd reaction to omega-3s

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Fish oil reduces hormones like cortisol, aldosterone and angiotensin.

Are you sure? Examine.com say that it can increase cortisol here. Lots of research info there.

EDIT - although it does cite a study where it blunted the increase in cortisol caused by LPS.

I wish people would stop calling it fish oil, when what they mean is long-chain omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA. These can also be obtained from certain algae, as Examine.com points out, and that is the source of my own supplements. The trouble with referring to these as 'fish oil' is that it gives the impression that vegans and vegetarians have no source of these, and that the only option for them is a shorter-chain one from flax oil: alpha linolenic acid.

EDIT - what I meant was I wish that people didn't use the term 'fish oil' to include all (sources of) DHA and EPA, and use it generally when not specifically talking about fish oil. For example, a supplement website I sometimes use even has algal DHA and EPA - and flax oil - listed under 'fish oil'!

Obviously it's fine to talk about fish oil if that is what you are actually talking about!

Last edited:

MeSci

As far as I can see it doesn't cite anything where cortisol was increased. Only decrease, or no effect.

Fair enough. They do get things wrong sometimes.

I wonder if omega-3s, along with other things, may have different effects on us from those they have on healthy people. Sorry if this has already been said - haven't read the rest of the thread yet.

adreno

PR activist
I wonder if omega-3s, along with other things, may have different effects on us from those they have on healthy people.
I'm sure they have. I believe Hornig/Lipkin found low cytokines, such as IL-6, in long term ME. Lowering them even more might make things worse.

MeSci

I'm sure they have. I believe Hornig/Lipkin found low cytokines, such as IL-6, in long term ME. Lowering them even more might make things worse.

Yes, but maybe they can even have different specific biochemical effects in pwME from those in healthy people. For example, some things can have different - even opposite - biochemical effects, depending on how much is taken. Maybe because we are so sensitive to things, a small dose in us have have a similar effect to a large dose in a healthy person.